Not a member? Register Now!

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Newbie here who has spent years here as a lurker fan, but this trade and this part of the rumor I has to post:

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/02/24/third-rounder-pick-for-alex-smith/

Key point, they're trying to Harvin with all these draft picks.

f**k Harvin and his wanting to get paid $14 million a year.

Agreed he is always injured

and b*tching

Markus Wheaton from Oregon St reminds me of Antonio Brown/Mike Wallace type of player I believe he is gonna be good.

Orrrrrrr, why rent Harvin for a year, when you miht have a shot at Austin for 4-5 years and a much lower price tag? If Richardson, Floyd, Jones, and Short are gone, I don't think we drop a lot in DL talent by waiting until rd 2. Austin is gonna make people look stupid. His versatility could keep him dangerous in the redzone, where a lot of small WRs become less effective. Plenty of picks to deal with other issues in a deep draft. No reason for us to throw picks away for one year w/a spoiled-ass d-bag. If Harvin had Alex's character, Minny woulda re-upped him by now.

Yea no Offense to Harvin but he ain't worth the $ with his health issues and plus we need that $ to sign CK7 & Crabtree next year
Yea no Offense to Harvin but he ain't worth the $ with his health issues and plus we need that $ to sign CK7 & Crabtree next year

When you factor in that the salary cap is supposed to remain basically flat through 2015, the 49ers don't have the money to add a guy making $10-12 without requiring them to cut an existing starter or not re-sign a guy like Crabtree or Aldon.

And if it comes down to deciding between paying Crabtree or paying Harvin.....Harvin can go EAD
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM ]
Yes, cheaper solutions through the draft and develop their own players. Fans really are jumping the gun in giving up on Jenkins and with the right coaching and preparation, I'd bet money that Ricardo Lockette can be the Niners version of Victor Cruz, a player who wasn't even drafted. Lockette has tremendous size and speed. Jenkins has truly breakaway speed. He really could turn into a stretch the field kind of guy, especially with that cannon Kaepernick has. And, I know fans around here don't seem to appreciate this, but both K Williams and Manningham have the incredible quickness you need out of a slot receiver. Mix in LaMichael James, and I think you've already got a potentially explosive passing game without going out and blowing up the bank on a guy like Harvin or Wallace.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, cheaper solutions through the draft and develop their own players. Fans really are jumping the gun in giving up on Jenkins and with the right coaching and preparation, I'd bet money that Ricardo Lockette can be the Niners version of Victor Cruz, a player who wasn't even drafted. Lockette has tremendous size and speed. Jenkins has truly breakaway speed. He really could turn into a stretch the field kind of guy, especially with that cannon Kaepernick has. And, I know fans around here don't seem to appreciate this, but both K Williams and Manningham have the incredible quickness you need out of a slot receiver. Mix in LaMichael James, and I think you've already got a potentially explosive passing game without going out and blowing up the bank on a guy like Harvin or Wallace.

And after they add Quinton Patton through the draft, they'll have a very good 1-2 WR combo.

I believe offensively were dynamic but Defensively were diminishing. We need to upgrade at CB & Safety much more of a priority imo
Personally I think it's a bigger story if the 49ers actually get a Third from KC AND a later pick. I would never have thought that possible.
Wow, I thought a lot of Niner fans were downers. Kansas City? Jeez, the thought of getting a starting QB with a QB rating north of 104 and their world is ending. I've got a feeling that if he goes there and plays Reids brand of WCO, a lot of those idiots are going to be eating crow on their Alex Smith predictions.

Exactly.

Like the Chiefs have even sniffed the AFC Champ game since Montana left. Seriously....I can't recall the last time they even won a playoff game.

Bottom line is that unless you're a legit top 5 contender in your conference based on off/def/spec. teams roster, you have no business talking smack about not getting an "elite" QB. All the entitlement talk in the NFL....there's only maybe 5 great QBs in this league, 5 very good QBs, and 5 good QBs after that. The rest have to make due with what they have.

If Alex had turned in the 2011/2012 performance in 2009, I doubt he'd have the game manager extraordinare stigma....possibly even 2010 but not after that.

Once the Sing to Harbaugh transition was made, Smith was no longer welcome in SF.
Alex Smith envokes havoc on another team's forum, and he isn't even on their team yet!
The Chief forum is now infected with the AS virus. Enjoy!
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Alex Smith envokes havoc on another team's forum, and he isn't even on their team yet!

im worried if the pick is a conditional pick, the webzone will still be a mess bc his performance will still screw us over
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

When you factor in that the salary cap is supposed to remain basically flat through 2015, the 49ers don't have the money to add a guy making $10-12 without requiring them to cut an existing starter or not re-sign a guy like Crabtree or Aldon.

And if it comes down to deciding between paying Crabtree or paying Harvin.....Harvin can go EAD

I'll say this first. I love Crabtree and hope he's here for a long time. I think he's the best player on our offense other than Kaepernick. Better than Gore and Davis. But..

Career receiving yards are almost identical. Crabtree has him by 40 yards and 1 TD. Harvin though blows Crabtree out in returns and rushing stats. All together Harvin has 3800 more total yards and 8 more TD's.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Wrathman:

im worried if the pick is a conditional pick, the webzone will still be a mess bc his performance will still screw us over

Possibly. I'm just sayin that peeps are debating the Harvin part and kinda skipping over the 3rd and a late round pick. That would be freakin amazing considering how he was viewed 2 years ago around the league.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I'll say this first. I love Crabtree and hope he's here for a long time. I think he's the best player on our offense other than Kaepernick. Better than Gore and Davis. But..

Career receiving yards are almost identical. Crabtree has him by 40 yards and 1 TD. Harvin though blows Crabtree out in returns and rushing stats. All together Harvin has 3800 more total yards and 8 more TD's.

Really? Wouldn't have thought of that considering Crabtree's never returned a kick
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This would be f**king cake; Crabs would have a reliable wing-man, and we'd have our kick-returner all in one shot. -Wouldn't be unhappy one bit with this sort of move.

We have so much f**king ammo to deal right now it's unreal.

I'm with you, Snake. So Harvin will be asking alot? Who cares? He was leading the entire NFL in receiving before he got hurt. That was with Christian Ponder throwing to him. Christian "Freaking" Ponder. Can you imagine this offense with another game breaker like Harvin playing opposite Crabtree. The Niners front office has proven they get close long term deals to keep their young stars long term without blowing the salary cap. Bring it on!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Hopper:
This QB class blows. No way I would want any QB with that number one pick.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Denver. thats why i said i look forward to watching AS beat manning.

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Hell yeah. I believe Alex is going to really play solid and win games for whoever he plays for. I could see him taking the Chiefs to the playoffs, especially in a division that includes the Raiders and Chargers. And then these Chief fans will act like they wanted him all along and knew it was a brilliant idea.

Manning is one of the biggest playoff choke artists in NFL history.

AS will have the chiefs as instant playoff contenders in that division.

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
These chief fans are funny. Alex Smith is 100 times better than Matt Cassel and he's also better than any qb in this draft. They just want something new and exciting like Geno Smith, but fail to realize that Alex Smith is definitely better right now. I don't think Geno Smith will end up being all that good either.

Im gonna laugh my ass off when he has the cheifs beating Manning and denver twice a year until he retires.

....remind me again why we are talking 3/4 round compensation.....?

Alex will be exposed on another team. Pure and simple. Harbaugh, VD, and our amazing elite defense blanketed him.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Really? Wouldn't have thought of that considering Crabtree's never returned a kick

He had 1 attempt. Still though, it's because he'd be terrible at it. Also almost 700 of those yards and 4 TD's are from rushing. Harvin is a three dimensional threat to take the ball to the end zone.