LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith to the Chiefs for a 2nd I'd put good money om it if I were a gambler.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Because we are not bargaining from a complete position of strength. Everyone knows that Kap is our guy, if we do hold on to Alex, that prevents us from extending guys like Dashon or signing Free Agents. We are lucky that Alex is the best on the market and that the QB draft class blows, otherwise we might be getting worse offers or none at all.

Meh. But we can comfortably hold on to both as Kap is still playing under his rookie deal and makes next to nothing. Him being "our guy" means nothing once you consider that. Basically, we CAN afford to play hardball if Baalke really wanted to but he doesn't seem like that type. For one, the risk is too great that it blows up in his face because really, who's going to give up two number one's (or something equally ridiculous) for Smith?

I get the impression that once the FO attaches a value to a player, they tend to stick with that. No need for games.
Liking this "Peyton's Princess" dude on the Chiefs board. Feel bad for him trying to single-handedly convince the delusional Chiefs fans who think the world will end if they trade for Smith.

Chiefs fans apparently would b***h about anyone who wasn't Geno Smith. They're so incredibly f**king delusional and it's absolutely priceless. Can't stop reading this s**t.
If this is true, kudos to the front office. They got a deal that gives Alex Smith his chance to start again and they net something in return. Good job, Trent. With all the picks the Niners have, anything in return for Smith is a good deal and getting it done now is just a bonus.
Originally posted by baltien:
Because we are not bargaining from a complete position of strength. Everyone knows that Kap is our guy, if we do hold on to Alex, that prevents us from extending guys like Dashon or signing Free Agents. We are lucky that Alex is the best on the market and that the QB draft class blows, otherwise we might be getting worse offers or none at all.

Meh. But we can comfortably hold on to both as Kap is still playing under his rookie deal and makes next to nothing. Him being "our guy" means nothing once you consider that. Basically, we CAN afford to play hardball if Baalke really wanted to but he doesn't seem like that type. For one, the risk is too great that it blows up in his face because really, who's going to give up two number one's (or something equally ridiculous) for Smith?

I get the impression that once the FO attaches a value to a player, they tend to stick with that. No need for games.

Of course we can hold on to both but as you noted, no one is going to sell the farm for Alex, so why should we pretend to play hard ball when everyone knows that we want to trade Alex and that it would be terrible for the locker room if we did hold on to him? The money owed to Alex is not overwhelming amongst QBs, however it is top end money for most other positions in this league. Everyone knows we are best served trading Alex, keeping him prevents us from improving as a team by allocating his salary elsewhere.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by susweel:
after their fans reaction I'm worried that the chiefs might back out of the deal, lol

i thought about this also lmao

Hmm...if teams listened to fans the 49ers would have hired Michael Lombardi as GM two years ago, and Jon Gruden (bleh) or Brian Billick as head coach (shudder). Also, we likely wouldn't have Aldon Smith on the team because Gruden sure as hell isn't about to waste a number pick on a defensive player, and Brian Billick needs to draft about ten quarterbacks before he can get it halfway right.

In case you missed it, the overall point is good front offices don't need input from the fans.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by redrathman:
This deal has been done since Baalke had dinner with Alex and his wife.

They'll announce it March 12th and Alex will have an extension in place in Kansas City.

When did this dinner take place?
Around 6pm, typical dinner time.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
so who will get pegged for doing this too early, us or the chiefs? isnt this tampering? lance briggs b******t with the bears we lost a pick

No one. We got busted because McCloughan started contract negotiations (via text) before any trade had been agreed upon. He was testing Briggs' expectations, and the Bears got butt hurt.

I wonder how good of a job that guy could have done sober.

I don't think it would be tampering if they are dealing with the team. Knowing how Baalke handled the Mays trade he would have probably sent an email to the whole league and waited for the phone to ring.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Liking this "Peyton's Princess" dude on the Chiefs board. Feel bad for him trying to single-handedly convince the delusional Chiefs fans who think the world will end if they trade for Smith.

Chiefs fans apparently would b***h about anyone who wasn't Geno Smith. They're so incredibly f**king delusional and it's absolutely priceless. Can't stop reading this s**t.

sounds like the zone IMO
They are reeling at Alex and want Gino Smith....now that is why KC will never win a superbowl.

Of course we can hold on to both but as you noted, no one is going to sell the farm for Alex, so why should we pretend to play hard ball when everyone knows that we want to trade Alex and that it would be terrible for the locker room if we did hold on to him? The money owed to Alex is not overwhelming amongst QBs, however it is top end money for most other positions in this league. Everyone knows we are best served trading Alex, keeping him prevents us from improving as a team by allocating his salary elsewhere.

I explicitly said in my post that playing hardball isn't really Baalke's style. Though, I think the whole "locker room chemistry" thing is a bit overrated, especially in this case. Can you really see Alex causing a stink? Despite having NUMEROUS occasions offered to him where he would have been well within his rights to go apish*t he kept it professional, and kept it moving.

I mean really, if he flipped out and horse-slapped Nolan after being benched for JT O'Sullivan, could anyone really blame him?

Two, the money is irrelevant as I stated that we can comfortably afford both. But I fully agree that the money is better spent elsewhere considering he is no longer a starter. And that is exactly why he is going to be traded. If not to the Chiefs, then somewhere else.

Fret not my friend.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Manning is one of the biggest playoff choke artists in NFL history.

AS will have the chiefs as instant playoff contenders in that division.

LOL Please send me some of that good stuff you are smoking.

That chiefs team is ready to roll with AS under center. He fits nearly perfect there.

From you comments you would think that Alex Smith is the Hall of Fame and SB winning QB and Manning is the guy that very few teams really want.

From yours you would think he was Matt Cassel.
Manning is one of the biggest playoff choke artists in NFL history.

AS will have the chiefs as instant playoff contenders in that division.

LOL Please send me some of that good stuff you are smoking.

That chiefs team is ready to roll with AS under center. He fits nearly perfect there.

From you comments you would think that Alex Smith is the Hall of Fame and SB winning QB and Manning is the guy that very few teams really want.

From yours you would think he was Matt Cassel.

LOL Alex Smith is a hell of a lot closer to Matt Cassel than he will ever be to Peyton Manning.
It's terrible all the hate Alex Smith is getting around here. Comparing him to Matt Cassel? Granted, he's not better than C. Kaep. But, for crying out loud he's a way better option than Matt Cassel. Contrary to popular belief, Alex wasn't the main reason we were loosing all those seasons. Bad coaching, the coaching carousel, mismanagement of the available talent, all had, in my mind, a much bigger negative affect on this team than one Alex Smith. This possible send off by some fans here is in poor taste.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Fu*k the fans. What the hell do they know.

Sincerely,

Every NFL Team
This. As much as I have certain opinions about the draft and free agency, ultimately I trust the people who are paid to do this, whose careers hinge on making smart decisions, to do right by the team. Had the 49ers listened to the fans, this team would have Adam Carriker and Blaine Gabbert in lieu of Patrick Willis and Aldon Smith. I also seem to recall the Taylor Mays pick being highly popular around these parts and people calling it a "steal."

Of course, there are also times when your team opts to take a punter in the 3rd over a potential franchise quarterback but I digress........moves shouldn't be judged by how immediately popular or unpopular they will be with fans but how they will affect the ultimate product out on the field that people will be paying to watch.
Share 49ersWebzone