There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Fact check: Willis is approaching his 7th season.

I always do that.. I am perpetually convinced that he was drafted in 2006 for some reason, even to the point I associate the 2006 win in Seattle with him. I'm old and the guy has been one of my favorite players since taking the field. I mix him up with VD all the time and am convinced VD was drafted in 2007.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Not the harder hitter or faster player in the 40....better player

There's a reason Bowman posted more tackles.

Much respect to #52 but I think #53 gets disrespected not being recognized as the best LB in the league.

Just noticed this is post 53

If I'm a running back and I hit the hole and I see that if I go one direction I am going to get hit by Willis and I go the other direction I'm going to get hit by Bowman.... I'm going to Bowman...EVERYTIME.

Just saying.
I like that but Bowman will have you wrapped behind the LOS for a loss before you head his way
Love this music, but if I see either LB coming at me....
DRILLIN' EMBOWMAN
Willis is a very good LB...so is Bowman

Willis has failed to make game changing plays lately...Bowman seems to be doing it w/ more frequency than willis

so i'll give the nod to bowman.

regardless they are #1 and #1a
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Bowman is better in coverage

this can't be further from the truth. willis is the cover LB
Originally posted by iLL49er:

And is the main reason Willis' numbers dropped. He had been dropping into coverage and Bowman sits in the middle zone.

Both great lbs... But remember truly great players make other players around them better
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 25, 2013 at 6:47 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
49ers are the winners because they have BOTH PLAYERS.

the coaches need to learn how to use them better
If I "had" to choose one, it would be Bowman. He's much better in coverage overall, is a better blitzer (slightly) and pretty equal at tackling/read recognition and tackles for losses. Both are quiet leaders. This is splitting hairs though...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
All this stuff here about Bowman and Willis. I love how eager people are to shove Willis aside for someone else. Bowman is great but Willis is Willis.

Why would anyone be eager to shove Willis aside? Everybody loves Patrick Willis. It's just that Bowman has been just as good, and in 2011, he was actually better than Willis. Why is it when anyone says another player is better than someone, people act like the first player is being hated upon? Bowman is literally the only linebacker you can make an argument for over Willis.
NOOOOOO BODAYYYYYY

I just always wanted to post that.

And is the main reason Willis' numbers dropped. He had been dropping into coverage and Bowman sits in the middle zone.

Both great lbs... But remember truly great players make other players around them better

Bowman is good in coverage as well. Which is why when one of the two came out on certain packages, Bowman was the one to remain on the field.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Bowman is good in coverage as well. Which is why when one of the two came out on certain packages, Bowman was the one to remain on the field.

This is incorrect. You're probably refering to the greenbay game. They alternated drives with the extra DB on the field. You could say that Bowman had more play time..or you could say that when Willis was on the field they got off the field faster.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

he wasn't on the field for coverage....when we need someone to cover a TE its willis not bowman who is tasked w/ that.
to the naked eye the defense does not miss a beat when either comes off the field.

The other is able to pick up the slack.

bowman is fine with Willis on the bench.... so I don't buy bowman feeds off of Willis's success.

I think bowman is as individually great as he appears and is a true star.

I don't know who is the best overall linebacker... I think bowman has an historically great ability to find the football....but I think Willis personifies the defense.

I think Willis is almost in the same class as ray ray and LT. I say almost....because you don't have discussions about maybe Bart Scott is better then ray ray.

Bowman is probably my favorite linebacker because he causes disagreements like this ....
both are great. Damn great!
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Not the harder hitter or faster player in the 40....better player

There's a reason Bowman posted more tackles.

Much respect to #52 but I think #53 gets disrespected not being recognized as the best LB in the league.

Just noticed this is post 53

I can't disagree with that statement more. Remember Derek Smith? That guy was a tackling machine. 5 straight season's with the 49ers with over 100 tackles. Does that mean he is as good as Willis and Bowman? Hell no.

Defense is much like offense. Everybody has a role to play. Just because your RB has the most rushing yards, doesn't mean he is the best player.

Willis and Bowman have different roles on our defense. Because Willis is such an amazing athlete he's role involves more coverage responsibilities. This gives us a huge advantage because it often frees up a safety. Why do you think Whitner and Goldson are such ball hawks?

Let's say Willis and Bowman switched roles. Willis would go back to leading the league in tackles just like he did before we got Bowman. But Bowman, lacking all the physical skills that Willis has, would struggle covering TEs man-to-man and we would loose that matchup advantage that Willis gives us.

Willis is the better overall player.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home