There are 174 users in the forums

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I Love Both of them, I do think Bowman is slightly better, BUT THEY BOTH NEED TO BE REPLACED ON 3rd DOWNS by Parrish Cox or an upgraded pass coverage only type LB like the Redskins used to have in Monte Coleman of the 80's and early 90's (strictly a pass coverage LB to replace both BOW & WILLIS on passing downs only), they both got smoked in coverage all season but Bowman did make that big play vs Roddy White on 4th down.

Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for almondJoy.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
It's like asking a mother which child she loves better

ohhhh, I love this answer …. mommie
Bowman. literally by a step or two. Willis is my favorite player, but Bowman is just a bit better.
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Bowman gets more tackles because Willis gets more attention. They'll have a player maybe 2 at times just to try to get a block on Willis. I remember against the Ravens listening to the sound FX, they were telling Leach to get on Willis every play he was in.

Stats don't mean everything. Bowman isn't a better player if he has more tackles than Willis. A corner isn't a better corner if he has more INTs than Revis.

I do love Bowman though. Dude played his heart out in the post season. PWilly is the best mlb in the league, Bowman is the 2nd best.

This.
Yes stats don't mean everything. Pass rushers need to apply pressure more so than get sacks. Though Alex Smith had a top QB rating, completion and win % overstates his weakness being his pocket presence and poise, so if you take a sack it won't affect your completion %

Using the tackle stat was merely a way of reflecting Bowman's amazing ability to respond react. His REFLEXES are second to none. Surprised that nobody mentioned Bowman playing Special Teams leading to him getting more tackles. Which is another thing I love about Bowman and Goldson for that matter, is there willingness to help the team anyway possible, not many stars in the league that do this but it does take a SPECIAL player to play special teams. Had Brandon Jacobs done this he might have made the team but Dixon was the one to step up and help the team in that way, but that's another topic.

I too remember watching Sound FX and Willis saying, "I'm the worst blocker ever" after T. Brown made a pick. Based off the games I've recorded and seen more than once I make this statement, "BOWMAN IS CLEARLY THE MORE NATURALLY GIFTED INSTINCTIVE PLAYER" but at the same time I'm not saying he's better than Willis by a land slide, but ever so slightly better due to his instincts to respond react in coverage, fluid lateral quickness and blitz ability.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Bowman. literally by a step or two. Willis is my favorite player, but Bowman is just a bit better.

This
bowman because hes younger.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I Love Both of them, I do think Bowman is slightly better, BUT THEY BOTH NEED TO BE REPLACED ON 3rd DOWNS by Parrish Cox or an upgraded pass coverage only type LB like the Redskins used to have in Monte Coleman of the 80's and early 90's (strictly a pass coverage LB to replace both BOW & WILLIS on passing downs only), they both got smoked in coverage all season but Bowman did make that big play vs Roddy White on 4th down.

for serious?
I just see Willis having to do more if Bowman is not on the field. PWilly came out on a tear, he singlehandedly gave the Niners their defensive identity. I will never forget that first season, I would show up to Qwest field to take my one shot to see the Niners live, I couldn't afford it when I lived in Cali. So I would proudly show up in my Niner gear only to see Alexander running all over us and taking some of the worst beatings we had taken since the pre Walsh days as a kid.

That rookie season for Willis changed everything, he played lights out and all over the field. It seemed line he was tackling everyone and involved with every play. So when he stuffed the Chickens and held Alexander to squat I was beaming. Just when it looked line the Chickens were going to get it going, BOOM, Willis shut them down and I got to see my first Niners win live because of it.

I sort of thought his play was dropping off, but I realized that Bowman was carrying a good chunk of the load and allowing PWilly to play in position. I think Willis is the best LB'er in the NFL and that Navarro is right behind him. There is also the wear and tear factor, don't look now, but PWilly is starting his 8th season this year. What happened?!?! I can remember his pick being announced like it was yesterday. He is still better, just more discipline and we are lucky to have them both on the same team. I like Brooks too, but he looks like he could get called for being offsides on nearly every play he is getting after it. Man those two are good.
[ Edited by Rathmanator on Feb 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM ]
Bowman covers better and has better instincts. I also like his spin move when he blitzes. Seems to work most of the time lol. Willis on the other hand is a much better tackler in the open field, stronger against blockers, just more physically gifted. Althought Bowman's had more tackles, I've still seen him miss more than I have Willis.
Originally posted by KegBert:

for serious?

Yes serious! How many times did Dennis Pitta, Tony Gonzales and other tightends beat Willis one on one? It happened a lot and especially in the Super owl they couldnt guard Pitta or Ray Rice on a crucial 3rd down in the 2nd Quarter. We need a nickel back linebacker, thats all i'm saying. Willis and Bowman are both studds but get real, they both can be beaten in the passing game.

for serious?

Yes serious! How many times did Dennis Pitta, Tony Gonzales and other tightends beat Willis one on one? It happened a lot and especially in the Super owl they couldnt guard Pitta or Ray Rice on a crucial 3rd down in the 2nd Quarter. We need a nickel back linebacker, thats all i'm saying. Willis and Bowman are both studds but get real, they both can be beaten in the passing game.

Bowman seemed to do just fine when Willis was being taken out against Green Bay...
They both have aspects of their games that are slightly better than the other. To say one is difinateivly better than the other is silly.

Best LB combo in NFL history. We are extremely blessed to have both of them
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
I just see Willis having to do more if Bowman is not on the field. PWilly came out on a tear, he singlehandedly gave the Niners their defensive identity. I will never forget that first season, I would show up to Qwest field to take my one shot to see the Niners live, I couldn't afford it when I lived in Cali. So I would proudly show up in my Niner gear only to see Alexander running all over us and taking some of the worst beatings we had taken since the pre Walsh days as a kid.

That rookie season for Willis changed everything, he played lights out and all over the field. It seemed line he was tackling everyone and involved with every play. So when he stuffed the Chickens and held Alexander to squat I was beaming. Just when it looked line the Chickens were going to get it going, BOOM, Willis shut them down and I got to see my first Niners win live because of it.

I sort of thought his play was dropping off, but I realized that Bowman was carrying a good chunk of the load and allowing PWilly to play in position. I think Willis is the best LB'er in the NFL and that Navarro is right behind him. There is also the wear and tear factor, don't look now, but PWilly is starting his 8th season this year. What happened?!?! I can remember his pick being announced like it was yesterday. He is still better, just more discipline and we are lucky to have them both on the same team. I like Brooks too, but he looks like he could get called for being offsides on nearly every play he is getting after it. Man those two are good.

Fact check: Willis is approaching his 7th season.

for serious?

I agree. As much as I love Willis, he matches up very poorly in pass defense against athletic TE's.

They need to address this.

for serious?

Get real? Can you name a better LB that covers better? I'd rather have like an Ed Reed or Charles Woodson come in on 3rd downs in place of Whitner for that matter. 49ers are just fortunate enough to be able to cover the TE with the ILB, most teams use the OLB or S to cover TE's.

Also covering the TE gets put on the safety as well and it seems to me more so that Whitner is the guy that gives up those crucial plays but he does win the battle at times. You win some you lose some but Boldin was the main guy in the super bowl converting those 3rd downs.(with a little help from the refs)

I get what you mean.... bc I have seen TD's in the redzone by TE's like Tony G, Jermichael Finley, Kyle Rudolph, Dennis Pitta or even that big Lions TE(can't remember his name atm) but a coverage Safety along side Goldson on 3rd down is more so the need.
Share 49ersWebzone