There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Whose the better player, Willis or Bowman?

Bowman is the better athlete right now because he hasn't had to recover from injury (knock on wood).
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM ]
Bowman definitely had the better season. I remember telling my nephew during the games Willis has taken a step back. No disrespect. That All-Pro by Bowman should light a fire under his ass tho......
Originally posted by mod:
surprised no lavonte david on there

these are only inside backers
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by Disp:
Here are PFF's season ending rankings. They've got Bowman #1 and Willis #2. Willis would've been nearly identical had he played those games he missed. Bowman is a better pass rusher and pass defender, and Willis is better against the run, which should be no real surprise to anyone here. They're still the 2 best and most complete ILB in the NFL.

surprised no lavonte david on there

This chart reminds me of how lame draft combines can be. Remember when Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0 plus 40 and no one wanted to touch him? Ha! What a joke.
I vote Bow. But Pat does have a warm heart.
Say you had a team of 53 Willises. Granted you'd be giving up some yards in the special teams game unless one of them learned how to kick. But how would you not go 19-0 with a 53 man all-Willis roster?
Ive been liking Bowman's game more now for the last two seasons. Willis is elite at all the standard LB stuff and Bowman is very good at all the LB stuff but he makes more big plays.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Bowman definitely had the better season. I remember telling my nephew during the games Willis has taken a step back. No disrespect. That All-Pro by Bowman should light a fire under his ass tho......

Willis hasnt taken a step back. Come on...

Bowman is younger, and hasnt dealt with any injury issues. Bowman is better at coverage, pass rushing, and even probably has a quicker change of direction, but Willis is still the best run stopping MLB in the NFL, and a better tackler than Bowman.

I wish the analysts would stop saying "Bowman is better than Willis now" all the time, because it demeans Willis. Uninformed people start thinking Willis has regressed, when thats not true. They each do different thinks extraordinarily well, and overall Bowman is probably slightly better due to age and health, but theyre about identical.

That PFF stat chart proves my point about Willis being snubbed off the All-Pro team.
Here are PFF's season ending rankings. They've got Bowman #1 and Willis #2. Willis would've been nearly identical had he played those games he missed. Bowman is a better pass rusher and pass defender, and Willis is better against the run, which should be no real surprise to anyone here. They're still the 2 best and most complete ILB in the NFL.

Interesting to see Luke Kuechly so relatively low on that chart - why is he so highly regarded by so many NFL "analysts"? Is it mostly because of high tackle numbers?

this makes me wet.
Derek Smith
I think they're as even as it gets...how many teams could ever say they had the number 1 and 2 best MLBs in the game? There really is no wrong answer here
Originally posted by cmix23:
I think they're as even as it gets...how many teams could ever say they had the number 1 and 2 best MLBs in the game? There really is no wrong answer here

There is a wrong question though. I think this whole debate is meaningless.. we have two great ILB's. THey both make the defense better and I think anyone would trade their ILB for either of ours...
I see it being similar to the Justin Smith/Aldon Smith tandem. Willis opens thing up for Bowman as Justin opens things up for Aldon.
I hate to admit it, but I think Bowman is just a more instinctual player. Pat is a better athlete and tackling technician, but he just doesn't seem to see the play develop like Bow does. Pat might be able to run down a WR that has a 20 yard head start (see 2007 AZ game - I think) or strip the ball well, but his plays aren't as clutch as Bowman. He's just has a knack for being at the right place at the right time.

However, this is by far Bow's best season. We'll see how he plays year after year, when defenses game plan for him more than Pat. Pat has a much tougher assignment in that he covers WRs and TEs regularly.
[ Edited by SFsFinest on Jan 4, 2014 at 8:13 AM ]