Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he is one of the best players on our defense no one talks about

To me thats why williams is expendable

agreed ..Dial, Tank and TJE are my picks to be the top backups

I am so impressed with TJE. He will be a force this year. Tank and dial, I really haven't seen play so while I'm looking forward to finally seeing them, right now i have no clue as to what they are capable of.

TJE showed a lot of promise, he should be more confident and effective this season, Dial should be in better condition, he could get some snaps at NT and DE, plus Dial, Dorsey and TJE have the versatility to play NT, giving Fangio a lot of options ....and I cant wait to see Tank in action, IMO he is just like having an extra first round player coming in its reported Tank is up 295-300 LBS , if this is true, I could see him also getting some time at NT in passing situations

I think Tank is heir to Justin, as Justin was heir to BY. I hope it works out that way. If Tank is the second coming of either BY or Justin, I will be a very happy camper!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
i will leave the names up to you guys, all i want to see are guys who can give us better depth than we had last year. Now last year was very very good but i just want it to be better so we can give justin some breaks and not skip a beat while preparing for life without him

I think this is the year both Justin and Gore become human. It's unfortunate but odds are increasing that it will happen. Sopoaga's performance just all of a sudden dropped like jumping off a cliff, and goodwin just could not match up with elite DT's anymore and it was apparent in the playoffs. Gore was still gore last year but that was his lowest YPC in his entire career. I want all these players to do well, but I'm bracing myself for the worst.
I would be alright with resigning Dorsey. I think he would want to come back. He already cashed in on his rookie deal. This team offers him a chance at championship.I have one qualm with resigning. First I supported Dorsey over Williams last preseason. I think he gets better leverage and his ripoff is more explosive. Furthermore I think dorsey is always going to be better and by that I mean dorseys ceiling will never be close to Williams. From a technique standpoint Dorsey is flawless. For real watch the vines from mini camp. Dorsey has by far the best form on those machines you punch then rip to the side. Tomsula has had a full season with this guy too and if Dorsey really anchors the middle while creating pressure just don't see how you let him go if you can sign a 14mil over years. That said he may not take 4mil or lower and I leaning toward lower. But the really reason I don't think he would resign is he will be 30 in his first yearbut even then his position is not dependent on mobile explosion and he can play NT in nickle, anchor the middle while we send Tank, Aldon,and lemons to the passer.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would be alright with resigning Dorsey. I think he would want to come back. He already cashed in on his rookie deal. This team offers him a chance at championship.I have one qualm with resigning. First I supported Dorsey over Williams last preseason. I think he gets better leverage and his ripoff is more explosive. Furthermore I think dorsey is always going to be better and by that I mean dorseys ceiling will never be close to Williams. From a technique standpoint Dorsey is flawless. For real watch the vines from mini camp. Dorsey has by far the best form on those machines you punch then rip to the side. Tomsula has had a full season with this guy too and if Dorsey really anchors the middle while creating pressure just don't see how you let him go if you can sign a 14mil over years. That said he may not take 4mil or lower and I leaning toward lower. But the really reason I don't think he would resign is he will be 30 in his first yearbut even then his position is not dependent on mobile explosion and he can play NT in nickle, anchor the middle while we send Tank, Aldon,and lemons to the passer.

The age is a good point but you counter to that is also spot on...the NT now only sees the field less than the nickle CB (Ward/Cox/Morris). That's how you preserve the "big guy" even as he ages into his 30's plus like you noted, we have other NT's who can also fill in and keep him fresh.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I have a feeling Dorsey and Dial will be the men in the middle this year, Ian Williams wont be 100% for awhile, imo. 4 surgeries is a lot for an ankle to take in a year.

Niners honestly should try to trade Williams IMO. The DL is too crowded with competition, and Williams makes too much money to be a backup; but he has the potential to be able to start on a lot of defenses.

Niners should give Dorsey (and Culliver IMO) extensions ASAP IMO.

I dont think they should trade Williams. Maybe restructure his contract. He is a solid NT, when healthy. Its not even like hes injury prone, that was just a dirty block by that Seahawk Lineman. That type of block is now illegal.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I dont think they should trade Williams. Maybe restructure his contract. He is a solid NT, when healthy. Its not even like hes injury prone, that was just a dirty block by that Seahawk Lineman. That type of block is now illegal.

Why would Ian Williams restructure when he's worth more than what he's making right now?

I think Dorsey is the better player, and I want the Niners to go with Dorsey long-term at the NT Position. If they do, the Niners would have a starting-caliber NT riding the bench; and I think some team who needs a NT might trade a decent piece for that (especially since he's underpaid right now).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
i will leave the names up to you guys, all i want to see are guys who can give us better depth than we had last year. Now last year was very very good but i just want it to be better so we can give justin some breaks and not skip a beat while preparing for life without him

I think this is the year both Justin and Gore become human. It's unfortunate but odds are increasing that it will happen. Sopoaga's performance just all of a sudden dropped like jumping off a cliff, and goodwin just could not match up with elite DT's anymore and it was apparent in the playoffs. Gore was still gore last year but that was his lowest YPC in his entire career. I want all these players to do well, but I'm bracing myself for the worst.

understand. boy you are right about goodwin,, its like he just lost it over night. hope that is not what is going to happen to gore and smith.. but it did happen to roger craig. one year he is packing heat and having a great year, the next year he could not pack a lunch, we cut him, he vanished. hope the kids we drafted with the idea they can replace gore and justin when the time comes,,, come through
Clever troll is clever. Post the same video that nobody is going to watch in every thread. Brilliant.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Clever troll is clever. Post the same video that nobody is going to watch in every thread. Brilliant.

Huh? I don't see any video in the last few pages except the Dorsey highlight video.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Huh? I don't see any video in the last few pages except the Dorsey highlight video.

Seattle troll took over the zone last night

Oh. Gotchya. They must've deleted the posts.

Oh. Gotchya. They must've deleted the posts.

Good. We've been cleansed of the vile pollution.

Another day another injury hope he didn't tear his biceps if not hes's gonna be hangn out ALOT this yr with Kendall

Sooooo....what's Sopoaga doing these days?
Share 49ersWebzone