LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 184 users in the forums

NFC West 2013 Record Projections

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Preparing for someone and drafting a player specifically to be better prepared for someone are two completely different things. Margus Hunt is a good DE with a constant motor. He's been compared to Justin Smith which is probably why people think we might draft him.

I'm sure all NFL DC's are looking at ways to stop all of the mobile QBs in the league who run the pistol/read option, Kaep included. I've read about several NFL DC's that are talking to college coaches to learn how to stop the read option. IMO the best way to prepare for Wilson is to force him to stay in the pocket. Make him beat you with his arm. Simple idea but most teams failed to contain wilson when they rushed him. He's also very good in the pocket, especially later in the season. Having a good NT to get a push up the middle while the ends rush but keep containment seems to be the best way to take Wilson out of his game. Easier said than done.
I agree that the only way to deal with someone like Wilson is to try to contain him in the pocket and I totally agree that it's easier said than done. That said, can't help but feel that taller defensive lines are going to make it a little harder for a QB confined to the pocket to find his receivers and get the ball out cleanly. This might all be a moot point. The Niners may package picks to move up in the first round for one of the top corners and use their later 2nd round and third rounders to start working on the defensive line, in which case, Margus Hunt is probably gone.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Preparing for someone and drafting a player specifically to be better prepared for someone are two completely different things. Margus Hunt is a good DE with a constant motor. He's been compared to Justin Smith which is probably why people think we might draft him.

I'm sure all NFL DC's are looking at ways to stop all of the mobile QBs in the league who run the pistol/read option, Kaep included. I've read about several NFL DC's that are talking to college coaches to learn how to stop the read option. IMO the best way to prepare for Wilson is to force him to stay in the pocket. Make him beat you with his arm. Simple idea but most teams failed to contain wilson when they rushed him. He's also very good in the pocket, especially later in the season. Having a good NT to get a push up the middle while the ends rush but keep containment seems to be the best way to take Wilson out of his game. Easier said than done.
I agree that the only way to deal with someone like Wilson is to try to contain him in the pocket and I totally agree that it's easier said than done. That said, can't help but feel that taller defensive lines are going to make it a little harder for a QB confined to the pocket to find his receivers and get the ball out cleanly. This might all be a moot point. The Niners may package picks to move up in the first round for one of the top corners and use their later 2nd round and third rounders to start working on the defensive line, in which case, Margus Hunt is probably gone.

Well we need to address our secondary AND our D line so I hope we try to find Justin Smith's future replacement now instead of later. We can't posssibly use all 15 drafts picks so I wouldn't be surprised if we move up more than once in the draft.

Wilson has been playing behind lines that are six inches taller than him or more his whole life.. didn't effect him in college, didn't effect him last year.. what this post suggests is taller D lineman is the key to stopping him? brees is what 6ft, he faces D lineman 6'5" to 6'8" , hasn't seemed to effect him. we're talking 6 to 8 inches in height difference.. that's why passing lanes were developed and practiced..

Heck a 6'5" QB has trouble seeing over a tall d line.... if i'm 6'5" and you're 6'5", and you're standing directly in front of me am i going to be able to see over your head? NO, i have to move to the side or at least try to look around your head.. yes you'll have more of an advantage than a 5'11" guy most of the time but there will still be times you need to find passing lanes or scramble to get a clear view.
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM ]
Linemen engaging another linemen during a play are not standing straight up. they're crouched down a good three or four inches at least. That's enough for a 6'5" guy to see over their heads, but not a 5'10" guy. Look, I didn't make up the term, "prototypical height." It's just something that has proven to be one of the many issues when judging a QB prospect over the years. Is it the most important aspect? Of course not. Lots of tall QB's have crashed and burned. But, height certainly doesn't hurt a QB's chances. You can't coach it and there is no strategy to fight it.

All I know is that the odds are against a 5'10" NFL QB. How do I know that? Easy. There have been very few even marginally successful ones. The only one I can think of in the last 25 years is Doug Flutie and he was marginally successful. I know that one reason I keep harping on this is that when I go read the thoughts of Seahawks fans on your fan sites, all I see is crap about how Colin Kaepernick is a "gimmick QB" and Russell Wilson is destined for greatness. All they keep saying is that teams will somehow "figure out" Kaepernick but, at the same time, teams will never find a way to stop Wilson. It's absurd. I never want to take the time to get on those boards, what would be the point, but if I did, I'd want to point out to them that a 5'10" QB who is scrambling around for 16 seconds until he finds an open receiver playground style is, by definition, a "gimmick QB." And they're sure Kaepernick is an idiot and Wilson is a genius even though Kaepernick scored a 37 on the Wonderlic and Wilson scored a 28. They're sure Wilson throws a better long pass even though everyone knows Kaepernick could have the strongest arm in the league right now. They're sure Wilson is faster even though Kaepernick ran a faster 40 at the combine. It's kind of crazy making.
i'm not sure where you're getting all that from.. sure we have our homers just like you, but everything you said in your second paragraph can be said about posts on this very forum when comparing the two QB's... the same exact quotes about RW...

most knowledgable Hawk fans knows Kap is legit, and will only get better, same can be said with niner fans about RW..

as far as the height thing, yes they're not standing straight up, neither is the QB when he's dropping back or setting up to throw.. and i stated a taller QB has a clear advantage in most cases, but passing lanes are still required, because i don't care how tall you are, your vision will be obscured from time to time and you have to get a ball past outstretched arms as well..
Originally posted by hawker84:
i'm not sure where you're getting all that from.. sure we have our homers just like you, but everything you said in your second paragraph can be said about posts on this very forum when comparing the two QB's... the same exact quotes about RW...

most knowledgable Hawk fans knows Kap is legit, and will only get better, same can be said with niner fans about RW..

as far as the height thing, yes they're not standing straight up, neither is the QB when he's dropping back or setting up to throw.. and i stated a taller QB has a clear advantage in most cases, but passing lanes are still required, because i don't care how tall you are, your vision will be obscured from time to time and you have to get a ball past outstretched arms as well..

Or, the QB could be like Joe Montana and have GREAT situational awareness. Go back and watch him play - he threw balls a lot of times without being able to SEE where his receiver was. He had that much faith, and that great of knowledge of the playbook, to do that. I'm not comparing Kaep to Montana, so please don't go there. I using Joe as an example of what a QB can do when they have faith, knowledge. and situational awareness.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Or, the QB could be like Joe Montana and have GREAT situational awareness. Go back and watch him play - he threw balls a lot of times without being able to SEE where his receiver was. He had that much faith, and that great of knowledge of the playbook, to do that. I'm not comparing Kaep to Montana, so please don't go there. I using Joe as an example of what a QB can do when they have faith, knowledge. and situational awareness.

And, Montana wasn't the tallest guy around either. He's 6'2". So really, I'm not saying it's impossible for Wilson to be an effective QB. He's already effective and real good. All I'm doing is pointing out that historically, the odds are against him.

And, please, Hawker, go back and read your own fan sites. You're not sure where I'm getting that from??!! Oh come on. Seahawks.net is unbelievable. There are like two or three out of a hundred posters up there who aren't just psychopathic Niner haters. I can't think of more than one or two posts I've seen up there that express any respect for Kaepernick. I'll say this. There is a lot more respect for the strength of the Seahawks team down here than there is for the Niners up there. Now. maybe it's just natural bitterness about the comparative success of the franchises, but really. Be honest about your own fan base.
Originally posted by 52Fiasco:
Future Opponents 2013
HOME
Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks WIN
St. Louis Rams WIN
Atlanta Falcons WIN
Carolina Panthers WIN
Houston Texans WIN
Indianapolis Colts WIN
Green Bay Packers LOSS

AWAY
Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks WIN
St. Louis Rams LOSS
New Orleans Saints WIN
Tampa Bay Buccaneers WIN
Jacksonville Jaguars (London) WIN
Tennessee Titans WIN
Washington Redskins WIN

14-2.
I only chose the loss to the Rams because they're starting to rise up in the NFC west and Jeff Fisher has worked a miracle there in both our games against them... while the Seahawks (IN MY OPINION) are going to flop and go somewhere around 7-9.

Did you think we were going to lose to the Ravens?
Originally posted by RandG4life:
Did you think we were going to lose to the Ravens?

What's the point of the question? Of course he didn't think the Ravens would win. And they shouldn't have. The Niners defense played a horrible game. All they had to do is contest one or two of those ridiculous fly-ball prayers that Flacco threw up in the air and it's a Niners win. And, if the Niners are on your 7 yard line with a first down and 2 minutes to go, you're lucky to get out of there with a win, but they did and it's history. But, this is the time of year for optimism. Now, I wouldn't have predicted that win-loss list above, but It's not like it's impossible. I think the Niners will sweep the Rams and the Cards and split with the Seahawks, winning at home and losing at the Link. I think there will be at least one unexpected loss at home or possible two. I think they'll lose possibly three games on the road at the most - Saints, Seahawks and Redskins, although I'm pretty sure they'll beat the Redskins and they already beat the Saints in New Orleans last season. So, I won't be surprised with 11-5, 12-4 or 13-3.

to keep it rolling

49ers 12-4
Seachickens 10-6
Rams 8-8
Arizona 4-12
Originally posted by Beeker:

And, Montana wasn't the tallest guy around either. He's 6'2". So really, I'm not saying it's impossible for Wilson to be an effective QB. He's already effective and real good. All I'm doing is pointing out that historically, the odds are against him.

And, please, Hawker, go back and read your own fan sites. You're not sure where I'm getting that from??!! Oh come on. Seahawks.net is unbelievable. There are like two or three out of a hundred posters up there who aren't just psychopathic Niner haters. I can't think of more than one or two posts I've seen up there that express any respect for Kaepernick. I'll say this. There is a lot more respect for the strength of the Seahawks team down here than there is for the Niners up there. Now. maybe it's just natural bitterness about the comparative success of the franchises, but really. Be honest about your own fan base.

yes there's situational passing where you know where your guys suppose to be, but you still have to see where you're throwing the ball, ... situational passing is throwing the curl route before your guy stops and turns around, or throwing the slant/fade before your guy breaks. Or Depending on how the defense lines up on the goal line, automatically audibles into a certain pass route... not blindly throwing to a spot hoping your reciever didn't get jammed off the line and makes it to the spot on time.. I mean serioulsy?....that's called throwing an ill advised pass...

as far as the fan base hate, i've seen every bit of blind Seahawk hate on here as i've seen niner hate on the Net. but it's not hate towards your team (well some is) which i don't understand, but mostly it's hate towards the fanbase that come on there and shove the super bowls and history in our face.. you know i'm fair game when i come on here for all that, but to go on our board and try it is silly... it would go over just as well as me coming on here rubbing the SB loss in your face... i don't think any knowledgable fan disrespects what the niner franchise has done history wise... if they do, then i'd have to question their NFL knowledge...
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM ]
HOME

Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks LOSS
St. Louis Rams WIN
Atlanta Falcons LOSS
Carolina Panthers WIN
Houston Texans WIN
Indianapolis Colts WIN
Green Bay Packers WIN

AWAY
Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks LOSS
St. Louis Rams WIN
New Orleans Saints WIN
Tampa Bay Buccaneers WIN
Tennessee Titans WIN
Washington Redskins LOSS

12-4

That's right. We get swept by the Hawks. As much as I hate them, I'm putting all bias aside.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
HOME

Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks LOSS
St. Louis Rams WIN
Atlanta Falcons LOSS
Carolina Panthers WIN
Houston Texans WIN
Indianapolis Colts WIN
Green Bay Packers WIN

AWAY
Arizona Cardinals WIN
Seattle Seahawks LOSS
St. Louis Rams WIN
New Orleans Saints WIN
Tampa Bay Buccaneers WIN
Tennessee Titans WIN
Washington Redskins LOSS

12-4

That's right. We get swept by the Hawks. As much as I hate them, I'm putting all bias aside.

I think 12-4 makes sense, but instead of Seattle loss at home, I'd put it between IND, HOU, or GB. I'm sure GB will be looking for revenge.
They're going to be spending the entire off season thinking about ways to beat the Seahawks. No way we get swept.
Share 49ersWebzone