There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we go all in next season?

Should we go all in next season?

What I mean is, break the bank on some serious deference makers. Go after Revis, sign Wes Welker, get the best dlinemen available, sacrifice draft pics for potential difference makers now for a shot at winning it all next season? Downside...possible salary cap hell for a few years... upside... championship. thoughts?
[ Edited by jays9ers on Feb 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM ]
Are you chipping in? What is this we stuff haha?
The imho the fo and staff arent looking for one year wonder type of deal they're trying to build a model that will yield sustainable success for multiple seasons
No way. Build a team that can compete consistently. The Ravens knocked off the 49ers, Patriots and Broncos this year en route to the Super Bowl -- all "better" teams than them. The point is, it doesn't matter how loaded our team is, there's no guarantee we're going to make the Super Bowl.

I'd rather have an above average team that is consistently in contention for a playoff spot over the course of five years, rather than mortgage the future for one season of being a dominant team. The chances of winning a Super Bowl over those five years with a lesser team is better than winning the Super Bowl in that one season with a better team.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Money does not immediately by you titles. Just ask the Heat and Lakers of the NBA(both "Good" teams to begin with), Angels or Marlins of the MLB(the former being good and the latter being bad), Chelsea of the BPL(good), half the NHL, the Bucs or the Bills of the NFL(average).

going on all in for Revis and/or Harvin wont win us a SB anymore than just plugging in top tier draft talent or our own players.
I think we just build through the draft and find our final pieces there. If that means a lot of trading up for a total of like 5 players with 14 picks so be it. We were 5 yards short and a couple non calls away from a superbowl with the team we already have. We'll soon have to worry about signing our own guys first, starting with Goldson then Kaep, Crab, Aldon etc... Breaking the bank on someone like Revis may costs us as he's shown to hold out basically every year
No. I say we do what the Patriots have been doing for 10+ years.
Do what Muggins said. Build a sustainable team, I'd rather be in 2 or 3 Super Bowls in the next 6 ot 8 years instead of losing in next year's title game with a High Priced roster. I'm telling you, with how explosive our offense can and will be assuming we stay healthy & sign or draft an explosive wr, all we would need is 3 or 4 pieces on defense, another elite passrusher, cover cb cover safety & cover LB on 3rd downs. I think once we have Seattle on film & Paper and hopefully we go up there in the early to middle part of the year we should be fine & primed for another run deep into the Season, We have a loaded team and 14 draft choices, pretty hard to mess that up. We are already Favorites by Vegas 5/1 to win the SB next year.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
No way. Build a team that can compete consistently. The Ravens knocked off the 49ers, Patriots and Broncos this year en route to the Super Bowl -- all "better" teams than them. The point is, it doesn't matter how loaded our team is, there's no guarantee we're going to make the Super Bowl.

I'd rather have an above average team that is consistently in contention for a playoff spot over the course of five years, rather than mortgage the future for one season of being a dominant team. The chances of winning a Super Bowl over those five years with a lesser team is better than winning the Super Bowl in that one season with a better team.

esto
The 49ers are already all in. Signing somebody like Revis or Wallace doesn't put you all in. We've been to the NFC championship game
and the SuperBowl without all of our wide receivers in both instances. And Justin Smith was hurt down the stretch. The 49ers score
30+ points a game now under Kaepernick. We should draft a DT and Jenkins need to get his @$$ in gear and stretch the field. That's
why he was drafted. Resign Goldson and Ricky Jean and maybe Delanie.
Originally posted by Muggins:
No. I say we do what the Patriots have been doing for 10+ years.

I agree, they need to record the other teams practices.
welker wont help us. we have a ton of welkers on the team. we need another big receiver with some speed to go on the otherside of crabs. revis is an interesting prospect but it depends how much we have to give to get him. i wouldnt give a 1st or even a 2nd for a dude who just blew out his knee. just make good draft picks and get a solid receiver in FA and were champs next year
As a Seahawks fan, I definitely think you should. If you're curious as to why, look at how it worked for the Eagles.
I wouldn't say we should "break the bank," so to speak, but picking up one or two free agents and/or trading up with some of our 14 draft picks wouldn't be so bad... especially the trading up part.

With 14 draft picks and such a stacked team, there's a good chance that those late-round picks won't make the team. It'd be better if we can either trade up, or trade for future picks. Trading up seems more preferable, in my opinion though, since we're ready to win NOW.

But we still DO need to think of the future. Our second and third receivers this year went down to major knee injuries. We have a young offensive line, but who knows if we can retain guys like Iupati and Davis when their contracts are up. The defensive line has played a lot of snaps, while Justin Smith & Isaac Sopoaga may be getting old. The cornerbacks are decent, but no one really stands out. We've definitely got some areas that we need to shore up.
It'd be nice to get Revis but that's in the fantasy world. I would like for them to trade Alex Smith for a top CB in the free agency this year. A big CB that can physically(not just physically but speed wise also) match the top WRs in this league. Then the 49ers draft a good DL in the first round. I'd still keep Goldson and Whitner back there but my wishlist for this year is just simple; a top CB and draft a DL in the first round.