There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I have been writing content for both my site(NCH) and NinersNation on potential cap cuts

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice AB. I love you points esp. re: Haralson's salary. That's a lot for a guy who has zero pass rush skills and is a good run defender. That said, you CAN get to the edge on him with speedier backs.

So what we really need for the OLB position is someone who posses excellent edge-sealing run defense AND excellent pass rushing skills. If you can get that in one player, that's fantastic in case Brooks/Aldon go down. If you can get individual skills from two players, they can be rotated in accordingly and they should/would most likely be rookies or (a Johnson/Fleming) that can be groomed into well-rounded OLBers with time.

I caught something during a Ravens press conference this week where one of the head office guys was speaking about how John runs practices in two groups having the vets on one field and the younger guys on another. It helps in the sense of getting the young guys more reps. As a coach I agree with this concept. The more reps your younger guys can get the better they will be for it. There is no substitute for experience on the football field.

Interesting! That makes a ton of sense. Jim, takes notes from your brother!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,316
RumfordJohnny ‏@RumfordJohnny

@MoveTheSticks RT @nfl: A look at every NFL team's current salary cap situation: http://on.nfl.com/SalaryCap2013
Originally posted by Jcool:
RumfordJohnny ‏@RumfordJohnny

@MoveTheSticks RT @nfl: A look at every NFL team's current salary cap situation: http://on.nfl.com/SalaryCap2013

Full List.

Team Carryover Cap Space
Cincinnati $8.5M $50,600,000
Cleveland $14.3M $45,600,000
Miami $5.3M $44,000,000
Indianapolis $3.5M $43,100,000
Tampa Bay $8.5M $30,100,000
Jacksonville $19.5M $23,800,000
Tennessee $12.8M $18,300,000
Buffalo $9.8M $16,700,000
New England $5.6M $15,800,000
Seattle $13.2M $15,000,000
Denver $11.5M $14,900,000
Kansas City $14M $13,300,000
Baltimore $1.2M $12,900,000
Minnesota $8M $12,300,000
Chicago $3.2M $10,300,000
San Diego $995,000 $6,300,000
Houston $2.4M $6,100,000
Green Bay $7M $5,800,000
Philadelphia $23M $5,700,000
Atlanta $307,000 $2,100,000
San Fran $859,000 -$49,000
St. Louis $247,000 -$2,300,000
Arizona $3.6M -$3,300,000
Detroit $486,000 -$5,000,000
Washington $4.2M -$5,900,000
Oakland $4.5M -$8,300,000
NY Giants $1M -$10,000,000
Carolina $3.6M -$13,700,000
Pittsburgh $758,000 -$13,800,000
New Orleans $2.7M -$20,600,000
Dallas $2.3M -$21,100,000
NY Jets $3.4M -$23,000,000
The Jets were lousy last year and they're in the worst cap position heading into the off season @ -23 million! Oakland isnt far behind. lol Unbelievable!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,064
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice AB. I love you points esp. re: Haralson's salary. That's a lot for a guy who has zero pass rush skills and is a good run defender. That said, you CAN get to the edge on him with speedier backs.

So what we really need for the OLB position is someone who posses excellent edge-sealing run defense AND excellent pass rushing skills. If you can get that in one player, that's fantastic in case Brooks/Aldon go down. If you can get individual skills from two players, they can be rotated in accordingly and they should/would most likely be rookies or (a Johnson/Fleming) that can be groomed into well-rounded OLBers with time.

My biggest thing with Haralson is he hasn't shown up much since 2009 when he was extended, he had a great 08 season, then played sub par to be honest since 2009. $2.87M is a lot of money for a reserve OLB, especially when we need to worry about guys like Iupati, Goldson, A.Davis, Crabtree, etc... I think we would be best served to cut ties, draft a pass rushing OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and have Fleming, and Johnson compete for a spot, maybe add a veteran on a 1yr vet minimum deal to compete with them.


Yeah, I agree. Haralson hasn't been the same since he signed that extention. Cut ties and move on.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM ]
Im curious, I dont know if anyone can even answer this, but ill put it out there. The rule is a team needs to be at or under the salary cap. Okay, I get that. What happens if a team starts the season over it? Do they not play? Does the NFL just start throwing guys off the team?

Rules are rules, but we've seen rules broken before, what happens if a team, say the Jets just says the hell with it, we're not cutting anyone, to hell with the cap, what happens then?
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Im curious, I dont know if anyone can even answer this, but ill put it out there. The rule is a team needs to be at or under the salary cap. Okay, I get that. What happens if a team starts the season over it? Do they not play? Does the NFL just start throwing guys off the team?

Rules are rules, but we've seen rules broken before, what happens if a team, say the Jets just says the hell with it, we're not cutting anyone, to hell with the cap, what happens then?

I believe that is unprecedented. Not sure if it's happen before. Considering it's never happened, the penalties must be pretty stiff if a team isn't under the cap.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Im curious, I dont know if anyone can even answer this, but ill put it out there. The rule is a team needs to be at or under the salary cap. Okay, I get that. What happens if a team starts the season over it? Do they not play? Does the NFL just start throwing guys off the team?

Rules are rules, but we've seen rules broken before, what happens if a team, say the Jets just says the hell with it, we're not cutting anyone, to hell with the cap, what happens then?

I believe that is unprecedented. Not sure if it's happen before. Considering it's never happened, the penalties must be pretty stiff if a team isn't under the cap.

Teams must be under the cap, any contract that will put a team over the cap will be rejected and voided, it's happened, NFL wont allow it. Not after teams have violated the cap, like we did with Steve Young's deal in the 90's, and others.
Updated with last articles of my 6 part series. I didn't do Alex because it's obvious he will be let go.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Teams must be under the cap, any contract that will put a team over the cap will be rejected and voided, it's happened, NFL wont allow it. Not after teams have violated the cap, like we did with Steve Young's deal in the 90's, and others.

but what about a team who is already over the cap? wouldn't they want the contracts voided? and a team like the redskins or cowboys would likely be willing to pay a fine for it.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Teams must be under the cap, any contract that will put a team over the cap will be rejected and voided, it's happened, NFL wont allow it. Not after teams have violated the cap, like we did with Steve Young's deal in the 90's, and others.

but what about a team who is already over the cap? wouldn't they want the contracts voided? and a team like the redskins or cowboys would likely be willing to pay a fine for it.

Not that simple. The NFLPA will fight if a contract is voided for that reason. Teams over the cap right now have to cut or redo deals to get cap room, they will still take on dead money, but little amounts, that are outweighed by the cap savings.
Not sure I'd include Manningham on that list...he's a proven winner and we don't exactly have tremendous depth at WR. IF Jenkins develops, that's good. We don't know that yet. Moss likely won't be back. Who are you going to sign to replace these guys? Depend on the draft? That's a risky proposition. Your list doesn't include Sopoaga...why? I think he's topped out...and he only played 37/38% of the snaps this last season. I'd rather have a versatile vet like Randy Starks, who can play anywhere on the DL and play well. You'd get considerably more bang for your bucks with him, not to mention some real protection for Justin Smith. Yes, they'd have to make cap room for him, but that's doable. Yes, definitely draft a couple of bad-asses...Baalke has the picks to trade up.
Sop is a free agent thus why he isn't on the list to be cut.

Good job AB. I'm still more of give Parys and pay cut and let him compete wiht Fleming and Johnson. Not sure how healthy all 3 of them will be starting camp. Fleming coming off a tough injury.

I'm 50/50 on Goodwin and it really comes down to if the staff feels that Kilgore is ready to take over that spot. Gonna come down to calling protections and helping CK get his reads right.

Pay cut for rogers maybe but id keep him but they need to find a guy that can play the slot. I don't think any of the current db's are good at covering the slot.

Whitner and Ackers can get the axe.
I actually think the niners are doing great with the salary cap. The contracts are structured properly, this is evident with only 400K in dead money. Amazing.

The credit cards are not due, the niners have lots of room to cut salaries, restructure or cut personnel. The key components are under contract and will not be cut.

The team will need more of their 14 draft picks than people realize.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home