There are 118 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
They pay even less for backups, thats why I think he tries to get as much as he can.

No surprise there.

Most, maybe almost all players, try to get as much as they can.

Here is another non-surprise.

Hunter's next contract will be depend on how he plays this year.

No too small not fast enough... Decent no 2... Great no 3... Unfortunately due to his size/speed at most has two to three years left in him.
Not stout enough for harbs
I wonder if he has any trade value?
He been a very good back-up.

He's probably the odd man out as Frank is the starter, and either Hyde or Lattimore will be 2 and 3.

I don't know how long we'll hold on to all 4 but at some point it will be only 3.

I'm guessing Hunter will go.

It'd be great if we could trade him for a conditional 4th.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i don't know how some of you can write Hunter off so easy

in 2012 pre injury he had 5.2/ypc and 2013 post injury 4.6/ypc. he's gonna be even better in '14 than last year. add to that... he's only had 1 fumble in 3 years. he can run outside and inside, catch the ball and he's great in pass protection.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for DontSitOnTheHood.
Yeah, IDK, for some reason when it comes to running backs I hardly pick favorites. I really believe that the cream rises to the top in this position, more so than any other. If it's Hunter, then great... if it's Hyde, awesome.

But yes, people do seem to have forgotten how explosive Hunter was. Lacked that extra gear but outstanding balance and power with a lot of quickness... and always moving forward.
hunter aint going nowhere.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I think Hunter would be a stud if he got the number of carries Gore does. He's explosive as hell, follows blockers very well, and is solid in pass protection.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I see him as being a really solid back in a two back system. I dont see him carrying the load by himself for an entire season. I love hunter, but i dont see it. Same with LMJ. I think we need to look seriously at drafting gores eventual replacment either this year or next. I personally ould spend a flyer on Lattimore if he falls to the third. He could sit a year, then next season start getting some carries, and then by his third year probably be ready to take over.

Idaho... are you actually baalke?

We really do have an embarrassment of riches at rb. Our #3 back is better than some teams #1. The Jets started Bilal powell last year! Hunter/hyde/lattimore all are better than say Ryan Matthews.

Originally posted by AkNiners:
I see him as being a really solid back in a two back system. I dont see him carrying the load by himself for an entire season. I love hunter, but i dont see it. Same with LMJ. I think we need to look seriously at drafting gores eventual replacment either this year or next. I personally ould spend a flyer on Lattimore if he falls to the third. He could sit a year, then next season start getting some carries, and then by his third year probably be ready to take over.

We really do have an embarrassment of riches at rb. Our #3 back is better than some teams #1. The Jets started Bilal powell last year! Hunter/hyde/lattimore all are better than say Ryan Matthews.

Cmon now. 2 guys who haven't stepped foot in an NFL game are better than a guy who's stuck around a few years? Potentially yes, but Matthews was drafted high and considered one of the best backs in his draft just like Hyde and not nearly the injury concerns More has had.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by AkNiners:

Cmon now. 2 guys who haven't stepped foot in an NFL game are better than a guy who's stuck around a few years? Potentially yes, but Matthews was drafted high and considered one of the best backs in his draft just like Hyde and not nearly the injury concerns More has had.
This. Plus Hunter has avg'd 4.6 YPC, he wasn't fully healthy in terms of his burst coming back last year. The 49ers will not trade Hunter, maybe LMJ if another PR steps up & proves he can do the job. Until they prove themselves, Lattimore is a gamble with his health and Hyde is a rookie, Gore is aging, we're keeping all 4 of them this year book it.
How about Hunter is a different kind of runner, a slasher, not a gasher like frank. Frank, for all his gashing, however, is shiftier than a gambler with an 8 ACEs deck of cards. Incongruous really, to be so quick thru little teeny holes, yet a guy who bowls guys over. Hunter is more the slasher, seems a tad quicker, but does not hit the tiny holes like frank does. If Frank weren't here, kendall would be our starter. His biggest problem? Frank.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
How about Hunter is a different kind of runner, a slasher, not a gasher like frank. Frank, for all his gashing, however, is shiftier than a gambler with an 8 ACEs deck of cards. Incongruous really, to be so quick thru little teeny holes, yet a guy who bowls guys over. Hunter is more the slasher, seems a tad quicker, but does not hit the tiny holes like frank does. If Frank weren't here, kendall would be our starter. His biggest problem? Frank.

The RB depth chart remains to be seen. Lattimore and Hyde are largely unproven commodities, whereas Hunter is a proven, middle-of-the-pack, poor starter, great backup type RB. Not particularly special, but doesn't have any apparent weaknesses. This should be a good battle to watch during camp. If one of the younger guys can prove to be as good, then I'd say see what we can get for him. After all, he's due for a contract soon anyway.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
He's not worth crap in a trade. We just drafted the top running back in the draft a couple picks away from the 3rd round. He's far more valuable to the team than he would fetch in a trade.
Share 49ersWebzone