There are 225 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Hope Kendall Hunter has a successful recovery.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
welp, so long hunter. final year of contract, obviously won't be renewed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Tough luck for him. Good thing the Niners picked up Hyde and didn't just deal away LMJ over the offseason.
Another thing that worries me is that let's say Gore finally hits the wall this year. At least Hunter was a proven commodity who I felt comfortable with being a primary back. We don't know how Hyde or Lattimore will work out and James is a bit of an unknown as well.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Gore will be the back in on 3rd downs for blitz protection.

But we still need to keep him fresh so he does not become less productive late in the year.

I hope backfield carries are distributed as follows:

Gore 45%

Hyde 30%

LMJ 15%

Latt 10%

I wouldn't count out Jewel Hampton - especially if Lattimore doesn't progress. Hampton would also play ST.

Very true. But I think at this point he stay on the PS.
Sucks for him, the team and us. But it could have been worse. It wasnt Gore or Crabs again. We have enough talent across the board to get over losing a #2 back. With the weapons added in the offseason, one could assume we are setting up for a more pass orientated attack. Yes, his blitz pickup and change of running style will be missed, but every team goes through this crap before and during the season. We are the deepest team in the league, I trust Harbaugh adjusts his approach to this loss and we will be fine.
Damn hunter is a solid back too. Well this leaves an opportunity for james to be the speed back.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Yeah, I like the guy a lot, but this is probably the end of the line. And it is a HUGE opportunity for LMJ and the two young bucks. For all the questioning of drafting multiple RBs high and/or not trading him or LMJ when touches were hard to come by, fans should all be very thankful now the that front office knew that RB was deep but unproven and had injury risks among it.

Now there is just more of a chance for other guys to get carries, but we still should be in very good shape at RB thanks to our depth. I just hope at least one of the younger guys can prove dependable enough as a blocker that the coaches trust him to be in the game often enough to matter.

Best of luck to Hunter, but it's highly likely he's played his last snap as a Niner. Never know though, if Gore retires after a SB win, if Lattimore or Hyde bust or injury out or LMJ breaks out and gets a big contract elsewhere or something, I guess it's possible he comes back on a "prove it" deal to show he's healthy next year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by jreff22:
So much for great depth. If Latt can't go, we really shot ourselves in the foot with that pick.

Still have Gore, Hyde, and James. Kinda glad we didn't trade him now

James has done nothing so far. And Hyde is a rookie. Blitz pickup will be key and neither makes me feel safe for Kap.

I just hope Latt can go by week 3-4 at full strength.

Well the good news on Hyde is that he had to learn to block in Urban Meyers system. Hopefully won't be steep learning curve.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 28s
49ers confirm Kendall Hunter tore his ACL in yesterday's practice.

Awww crap!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I think there's a good chance of this. Even after his contract expires I believe he's allowed to use the team facilities to rehab until he's medically cleared, so he'll be around. I'd like to see him back.
We've seen his fitness level and we've seen how he rehabbed last time. This guy is a lion. He will be back stronger than before

I hope so. I know this isn't the same kind of injury that sidelined him last time. WR and RB are really injury prone positions. It pays to have good depth at that position. Fleming re-tore his knee, Kyle and Mario could not recover. I think we should go into every camp from now on with an extra guy at those positions from now on. I think the Lloyd acquisition will also be genius (knocking on wood).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Well LMJ ain't getting traded for everyone who wants him gone. Either he finally steps his a** up or he's simply a bust.

Yep, glad he's still on the team now.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Time for LMJ to put up or shut up and stop crying on Twitter. He'll have all the chances in the world to be the #2 back.
Hunter was one of the most underrated players on this team

this is sad
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
This injury hurts more than people may realize. I thought Hunter was primed for a good season. One full year removed from his first season ending injury and playing for a new contract. Time for LMJ to step up.

Is there something bad going on with the turf at the practice facility or what? These non contact season ending injuries are bs.

Yeah, that has to be looked at. When they were in Rocklin and at Sierra college, I didn't hear a lot of torn ACL's and achillies' - so you might have a good point there.
Share 49ersWebzone