There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Top 10 moments at Candlestick Park

The Catch III isn't part of these Top 10 moments? C'mon man!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d8141e1a5/Top-10-moments-at-Candlestick
Starting Thursday night the 49ers will honor Candlestick's greatest moments based off this list:

http://farewellcandlestick.com/moments.html

I can't believe Garrison Hearst's 96 yard run isn't on this list. Mine would go:

10. 1989 NFC Championship

9. 49ers-Raiders 1994; Rice breaks TD record

8. 49ers-Lions 1992 finale; final time Montana takes the field

7. 49ers-Broncos 1997; Rice returns, #16 retired

6. Garrison Hearst run opening day 1998

5. 2002 Wild Card

4. The Catch II

3. The Catch III

2. 1994 NFC Championship

1. The Catch
switch out #10 with the catch 3 and this list would be right.
Pretty much agree with NFL.com's top 10 moments. Agree with their order as well.

Ima miss Candlestick Park
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d8141e1a5/Top-10-moments-at-Candlestick

Probably cause the video is from 2009 haha. Man we've been so lucky to see so many dramatic wins over the past 30 years. Some of the craziest playoff games in history were played at Candlestick.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Starting Thursday night the 49ers will honor Candlestick's greatest moments based off this list:

http://farewellcandlestick.com/moments.html

I can't believe Garrison Hearst's 96 yard run isn't on this list. Mine would go:

10. 1989 NFC Championship

9. 49ers-Raiders 1994; Rice breaks TD record

8. 49ers-Lions 1992 finale; final time Montana takes the field

7. 49ers-Broncos 1997; Rice returns, #16 retired

6. Garrison Hearst run opening day 1998

5. 2002 Wild Card

4. The Catch II

3. The Catch III

2. 1994 NFC Championship

1. The Catch

Hearst's run was great, but I wouldn't put it ahead of the comeback win in 1980...at the time that was the greatest comeback victory in NFL history, and still today is greatest regular season comeback ever. Granted it was against the Saints and at the tail end of a 6-10 season, but after consecutive 2-14 seasons, that game was arguably the point where people could start to see Bill Walsh's vision, and that Montana to Clark was going to be a special combo. Montana had been flip-flopping at QB with Steve DeBerg that entire season, but after that game DeBerg never threw another pass for the Niners and was a Bronco in '81, so you could also say that's the game where Joe Montana cemented himself as QB of the 49ers.

Fun fact: had to listen to that game on radio because it was blacked out locally. And in #7 on this list, that's the game Romanowski spit on JJ Stokes.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Aug 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:

It is #2 lol.
terrell owens 20 catch game needs an honourable mention
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
there are two games that need to be mentioned over and above the 20 receptions by owens,, one is the 1972 game which clinched the nfc west title , we were down 17-6 to the vikes in the fourth quarter,, john brodie came off the bench, drove the team 99 yards , got a td to gene washington,,, then at the end of the game, drove the team, got a score to dick witcher and held them at the end, I was watching the game on tv on a saturday afternoon and the stick was rocking and rolling. of course we went to dallas the next weekend .. the other was a game a poster mentioned and of course you must include the 1980 game vs the saints when we were down by 28 points, I believe that was the game which started to pave the way for the teams eventual greatness through the next decade and a half.. what the hell how about the 1976 monday night football game when the niners sacked the rams 10 times
Where's the epic playoff game vs Giants? Strahan points to scoreboard, Giants botched fg attempt, and blatant no call on pass interference.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Where's the epic playoff game vs Giants? Strahan points to scoreboard, Giants botched fg attempt, and blatant no call on pass interference.

the one with garcia on the ticket stub that says giant comeback
Originally posted by cciowa:
there are two games that need to be mentioned over and above the 20 receptions by owens,, one is the 1972 game which clinched the nfc west title , we were down 17-6 to the vikes in the fourth quarter,, john brodie came off the bench, drove the team 99 yards , got a td to gene washington,,, then at the end of the game, drove the team, got a score to dick witcher and held them at the end, I was watching the game on tv on a saturday afternoon and the stick was rocking and rolling. of course we went to dallas the next weekend .. the other was a game a poster mentioned and of course you must include the 1980 game vs the saints when we were down by 28 points, I believe that was the game which started to pave the way for the teams eventual greatness through the next decade and a half.. what the hell how about the 1976 monday night football game when the niners sacked the rams 10 times

Yeah, I kinda figured those 70s teams wouldn't get much love...49ers/Candlestick history didn't start with Walsh & Montana. Even though no SB's, or even playoffs during most of those years, still some great Candlestick moments. I like your idea of the '76 MNF game vs. Rams, I think final score was 16-0...would be great to see some accolades for Hardman, Elam, Hart, & Webb for one of the most dominating front 4 performances I've ever seen.