LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Originally posted by Disp:
You're missing the point. All other NT's do the same thing, and he was one of the worst rated in the league at doing it.

That's why I want to know what these experts take into account when they put up their ratings for players. Because, it's hard to point out flaws in a run game that's ranked near the top of the league. Now I don't go and re watch games or nothing like that, but whenever I see a RB go for nothing against our D, how can I complain about that?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would bring him back for near Vet minimum. Currently, we have undrafted players in our 53 man roster, so I think he is probably better than Dobbs and Ian Williams. Hopefully we can draft some DL and get to a point where Soap is fighting for a roster spot.
I've also brought up Terrance Knighton as a potential replacement at NT, he's young, he's big, he's coming off a down year but he's been utterly dominant against the run in past seasons.
Originally posted by SR49er:
That's why I want to know what these experts take into account when they put up their ratings for players. Because, it's hard to point out flaws in a run game that's ranked near the top of the league. Now I don't go and re watch games or nothing like that, but whenever I see a RB go for nothing against our D, how can I complain about that?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

They don't grade players on a single standard, they grade them based on the expectations of their position and get real in-depth, basically football sabermetrics. They literally review every single play of every single NFL game over the course of a season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, no, no, and no.

Not sure where people get their misconceptions about this guy, he's one of the poorest run defending dt's in football, he's ranked near the bottom of NFL NT's. 49ers have some of the most dominant run-defenders in the NFL at their respective positions in Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman and McDonald. Soap is the only member of the front seven that is ranked poorly against the run. He's the biggest weak link on the defensive line and the one starter on the defense that absolutely needs to be replaced.

You think its a coincidence that this team struggles so much with physical runners going up the middle? The purpose of the NT in the 3-4 is to keep blockers off the linebackers and he doesn't do that. Last year he had a great year individually was still basically about average. I rank this team's need for a true starting NT first and foremost above all.

In addition, he is not a reliable on every down
http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

They don't grade players on a single standard, they grade them based on the expectations of their position and get real in-depth, basically football sabermetrics. They literally review every single play of every single NFL game over the course of a season.

Thanks for this
Originally posted by SR49er:
Thanks for this

Here's the 2012 game-by-game breakdown for Soap.

maybe if we can get a bargain bin thrift shop price.
Originally posted by NTeply49:

Originally posted by NTeply49:

Let's do some simple addition overpaying for old dlinemen is some ignorant B***H S***T
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM ]

NO HE"S OVER RATED, OVER PAID! We can find a better cheaper, younger guy in the draft. We also have one of the best dline coachs in the nfl. We need to get younger on the dline, Issac is old so is justin. Time for a change.
I'd lean toward not re-signing him...I think he's already played his best football and it's likely to go downhill from here on. Here's what I'd do instead...definitely draft Jesse Williams. He can play inside or out. Prior to getting him, sign Randy Starks, a very versatile, experienced DL who can also play inside and out. He'd provide some insurance should it take Williams a little time to nail the NT position. I know it's hard to part w/true NT's, but again, I think Soap has gone as far as he can. Only way I'd re-sign him is if he was willing to take a hometown discount salary.
I'd like to see a classic big fat guy Nose Tackle like Wilfolk. There are a couple of players in the 6'4", 350lb range available in the high 2nd to high 3rd round range this draft. Let's get some guy in there who absolutely demands two blockers and even two can't really move him out of there.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd like to see a classic big fat guy Nose Tackle like Wilfolk. There are a couple of players in the 6'4", 350lb range available in the high 2nd to high 3rd round range this draft. Let's get some guy in there who absolutely demands two blockers and even two can't really move him out of there.

You don't necessarily need a "big fat guy", I think there's a lot to be said about a more athletic, more mobile NT, a guy like Jesse Williams could be very good in the middle and could even handle being out there for 3 downs if necessary for whatever reason. The downside about some of the real big guys is that they inevitably struggle with conditioning and get worn down by the end of the game. If they could have a nice rotation of 2 NT's going, that would be ideal.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd lean toward not re-signing him...I think he's already played his best football and it's likely to go downhill from here on. Here's what I'd do instead...definitely draft Jesse Williams. He can play inside or out. Prior to getting him, sign Randy Starks, a very versatile, experienced DL who can also play inside and out. He'd provide some insurance should it take Williams a little time to nail the NT position. I know it's hard to part w/true NT's, but again, I think Soap has gone as far as he can. Only way I'd re-sign him is if he was willing to take a hometown discount salary.

I like him a lot, has tremendous versatility, good size and strength but also athletic ability to go along with it. If they drafted him in the 1st round, I'd be perfectly satisfied. He could be an active contributor starting next season.
Share 49ersWebzone