LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

• NE232
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
True. That must of sucked man. On the brink of history. We had a similar situation in the early 90s. We were going for a three peat and had the lead with little time left. Roger Craig fumbled and Giants drove down and kicked a FG instead, killing the shot at a three peat and history.

But i think going 18-1 would be the worst pain. I bet you guys figuered you would win by at least 21 huh? I sure did. LOL

That doofus has strange luck i tellz yah. I've seen him pull more miricle plays out of his ass and escape interceptions then any QB since Favre.

Nope. I was more nervous about those playoffs more than any other before. We were destroying teams through the first 10 weeks, then it felt like teams were starting to figure us out and the margin of victory dwindled. I'm a diehard fan of the game. I don't only watch Pats games and predict 35 point blowouts. Team was 16-0, and law of averages said we were bound to lose at some point. I honestly remember having bad dreams about Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew running wild against us in the divisional round haha.

Pretty sure that game has me scarred for life. As soon as we were installed as 9.5 point favorites against the Ravens I felt we were trouble. It just played into their "No respect" mantra...which, as you probably know by now, is what guided the Giants in 2007 and 2011.
[ Edited by NE232 on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM ]
Originally posted by NE232:
True. That must of sucked man. On the brink of history. We had a similar situation in the early 90s. We were going for a three peat and had the lead with little time left. Roger Craig fumbled and Giants drove down and kicked a FG instead, killing the shot at a three peat and history.

But i think going 18-1 would be the worst pain. I bet you guys figuered you would win by at least 21 huh? I sure did. LOL

That doofus has strange luck i tellz yah. I've seen him pull more miricle plays out of his ass and escape interceptions then any QB since Favre.

Nope. I was more nervous about those playoffs than any other before. We were destroying teams through the first 10 weeks, then it felt like teams were starting to figure us out and the margin of victory dwindled. I'm a diehard fan of the game. I don't only watch Pats games and predict 35 point blowouts. Team was 16-0, and law of averages said we were bound to lose at some point. I honestly remember having bad dreams about Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew running wild against us in the divisional round haha.

Pretty sure that game has me scarred for life. As soon as we were installed as 9.5 point favorites against the Ravens I felt we were trouble. It just played into their "No respect" mantra...which, as you probably know by now, is what guided the Giants in 2007 and 2011.

True. Everytime we were placed on the #1 pedestal in the power rankings this year we fell HARD.

Then we came back strong. Its strange. I'd like to see consistent efforts, not this streaky s**t.
  • tarl
Originally posted by ninersoul:
We weren't "tearing it up on offense" in the game vs. the Giants, but we HAD THE LEAD up until Kyle Williams' turnovers. And since that's factual, I have more weight in stating that we would've won if it wasn't for our turnovers than what u have stating that we would still would lost anyways.

Kyle Williams literally just gave the Giants the football, that doesn't make the Giants "the better team".

I believe the 49ers were going to come back if there never were a power outage. 49ers had too much talent. They proved they are capable of coming back from behind vs the Falcons and they sure would've done it against the Ravens anyways also. If it wasn't for La'Michael James foolishly fumbling the ball, it would've been a different outcome.

NY Giants were the better team, thats why we won.

Baltimore Ravens were the better team and that is why they beat you in SuperBowl. The power outage, coupled with Ngata gettin hurt after play resumed saved you guys from being blown out

It is amazing how many times 49ers and Packers lose big games to teams and then claim that they are in fact the better team although they lost.

Just man up and admit that the better team won in both 2011 NFCCG and SuperBowl XLVII.
[ Edited by tarl on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by tarl:
Originally posted by ninersoul:
We weren't "tearing it up on offense" in the game vs. the Giants, but we HAD THE LEAD up until Kyle Williams' turnovers. And since that's factual, I have more weight in stating that we would've won if it wasn't for our turnovers than what u have stating that we would still would lost anyways.

Kyle Williams literally just gave the Giants the football, that doesn't make the Giants "the better team".

I believe the 49ers were going to come back if there never were a power outage. 49ers had too much talent. They proved they are capable of coming back from behind vs the Falcons and they sure would've done it against the Ravens anyways also. If it wasn't for La'Michael James foolishly fumbling the ball, it would've been a different outcome.

NY Giants were the better team, thats why we won.

Baltimore Ravens were the better team and that is why they beat you in SuperBowl. The poser outage, coupled with Ngata gettin ghurt after play resumed saved you guys from being blown out

It is amazing how many times 49ers and Packers lose big games to teams and then claim that they are in nfact the better team although they lost.

Just man up and admit that the better team won in both 2011 NFCCG and SuperBowl XLVII.

The niners came out flat and unprepared in the super bowl, so I don't question that ravens team. The Giants? f**k no. The niners straight up handed that game away. What we believe shouldn't mean a damn thing to you G-Men fan.
  • tarl
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
The niners came out flat and unprepared in the super bowl, so I don't question that ravens team. The Giants? f**k no. The niners straight up handed that game away. What we believe shouldn't mean a damn thing to you G-Men fan.

You didn't give anything away. You lost NFCCG to NY Giants because NY Giants were the better team. You also lost earlier this year to us and it wasn't even a difficult victory for a NY Giants team that wasn't very good this year.

You guys should be happy about making it to SuperBowl and stop making excuses because Baltimore Ravens were the better team.

You didn't give anything away. You lost NFCCG to NY Giants because NY Giants were the better team. You also lost earlier this year to us and it wasn't even a difficult victory for a NY Giants team that wasn't very good this year.

You guys should be happy about making it to SuperBowl and stop making excuses because Baltimore Ravens were the better team.

LOL. Handed it to you at the 6 minute mark. Handed it to you in OT for the freebie in OT. The niners gave it away. This year we got flat out beat, and there's nothing to question in blowouts. I don't recognize the W as being the be all end all in defining "the better team."

Again, whatever we feel shouldn't mean a damn thing to you.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

LOL. Handed it to you at the 6 minute mark. Handed it to you in OT for the freebie in OT. The niners gave it away. This year we got flat out beat, and there's nothing to question in blowouts. I don't recognize the W as being the be all end all in defining "the better team."

i wonder if the ravens were just as shocked as us fans when roman or Jh called three stupid pass plays instead of running the god damn ball. sure did make their job easier
Originally posted by cciowa:

i wonder if the ravens were just as shocked as us fans when roman or Jh called three stupid pass plays instead of running the god damn ball. sure did make their job easier

Probably. When the players had finally gotten their heads out of their asses, Harbaugh decided to let Roman go full retard when it mattered most. Still, we played so damn badly for over 2+ quarters, I can't put all my stock into those last 4 plays. Even if we did get 8, I had no faith in the defense stopping that baltimore team with 3 timeouts from getting at least a FG

Nope. I was more nervous about those playoffs more than any other before. We were destroying teams through the first 10 weeks, then it felt like teams were starting to figure us out and the margin of victory dwindled. I'm a diehard fan of the game. I don't only watch Pats games and predict 35 point blowouts. Team was 16-0, and law of averages said we were bound to lose at some point. I honestly remember having bad dreams about Fred Taylor and Jones-Drew running wild against us in the divisional round haha.

I am glad there is someone out there who can relate to our devastation. Well not exactly glad because I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. More like comforted. We could win the next 5 superbowls and I wouldn't be able to get over these last two seasons.

For the record the Giants have the luckiest team on the face of the planet. Divine intervention almost. Everything bounces their way when it's their time. I think every so years God steps in and delivers the Giants another superbowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Probably. When the players had finally gotten their heads out of their asses, Harbaugh decided to let Roman go full retard when it mattered most. Still, we played so damn badly for over 2+ quarters, I can't put all my stock into those last 4 plays. Even if we did get 8, I had no faith in the defense stopping that baltimore team with 3 timeouts from getting at least a FG

listen to what blunt said(HARBAUGH LET ROMAN GO FULL RETARD). of course i am glad that he is our head coach but I can not remember a time when the head coach let us down as much as he did sunday when he did not whack roman over the head with a clipboard and take charge at crunch time. i hate to admit it but you are spot on about our defense not holding a lead. between those last three plays called and the defense in the whole game it was an equal opportunity full retard day amongs the niners and coaches that day. on the biggest stage of the world to. god damn it all to hell. i just want to go charlton heston on the planet of the apes and pound the sand. anyone got a clip. that is EXACTLY how i feel

of course they were. everyone i know whos a football fan of another team aside from the 49ers has asked me this since the game. surely if random fans thought it, the guys on the field did too.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

of course they were. everyone i know whos a football fan of another team aside from the 49ers has asked me this since the game. surely if random fans thought it, the guys on the field did too.
god damn it all to hell

listen to what blunt said(HARBAUGH LET ROMAN GO FULL RETARD). of course i am glad that he is our head coach but I can not remember a time when the head coach let us down as much as he did sunday when he did not whack roman over the head with a clipboard and take charge at crunch time. i hate to admit it but you are spot on about our defense not holding a lead. between those last three plays called and the defense in the whole game it was an equal opportunity full retard day amongs the niners and coaches that day. on the biggest stage of the world to. god damn it all to hell. i just want to go charlton heston on the planet of the apes and pound the sand. anyone got a clip. that is EXACTLY how i feel

That's what kills me most about this game. This team was nothing like the previous 49ers super bowl teams. Neither the players nor coaches seemed to realize what stage they were on. To have a performance like that from top to bottom is just so inexcusable to me, I just can't comprehend it.
  • tarl

Yeah, now it is the doofus that was lucky. Whatever. I find it oh so amusing how there is always an excuse from 49er and Patriots fans. You guys always resort to "Eli got lucky" or "we gave the game away" or "that doofus is lucky," too funny. At least NE Patriots players don't make excuses like 49er players do, just their fans.
Eli Manning and NY Giants beat both your teams in postseason and if we face you in post season again, we will beat you again. We stopped NE Patriots perfect season and we stopped your three peat. Please, continue to call it dumb luck and continue to claim the "doofus was lucky." You all should have learned by now.
[ Edited by tarl on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Pats fan here.

Don't give a crap about what you guys think about the team.

But NO Super Bowl loss will ever sting more than Super Bowl 42.

1. 19-0. Yes, I can understand the pride in your undefeated Super Bowl record, but we had high hopes of being the first 19-0 team.

2. Super Bowl loss on Brady's record. I'll admit that if BB wasn't our head coach, I would hate him. But Brady is beloved in NE. People call him arrogant, but he's no more arrogant than players guaranteeing victories, predicting scores, etc etc. I like Kaep a lot, but you guys all have to admit, if Brady kissed his biceps/nonexistant tats after TDs he would get ripped. Same thing with Rodgers championship belt. Really, just one instance against Suggs where he called for a flag and now people say he calls for flags every time he gets hit. Anyways, I'm sure most of you hate Brady, but imagine Montana getting into a 5th Super Bowl and then lose it. That's what it feels like seeing the best QB of your franchise's history losing the big game.

3. Spygate. Whatever effect you think Spygate had, and whether you honestly believe the Pats were the only team doing it has become moot point. "Pats haven't won a Super Bowl since spy gate" is the biggest thorn to any Pats fan, and that argument could've ended that night. Instead, it's 5 years later and I'm still hearing about it.

4. Rival City. Losing a regular season game against an NY team sucks. Magnify it a 1000 times in the Super Bowl.

I'll tell you what. For some reason, being losers of the Big game is perceived as worse than losing in any other playoff run. Rival fans will revel in the fact that you lost the big game, despite the fact they got eliminated much sooner.

If it makes you feel better, be glad that you're not a Pats fan. Nothing was worse than losing Super Bowl 42. Losing to the same team and the same dopey QB 4 years later was just adding insult to injury. Call me a spoiled fan. But losing seasons are disappointing. Losing Super Bowls is heartbreaking.

Sorry but I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. The Giants that year had a much tougher schedule than the undefeated Patriots. The players were overly cocky and thought the superbowl was already won. They slipped and let the lucky Giants pull off a miracle. The Patriots were in hail mary territory and we were f**king 7 yards from it with 3 f**king downs. That doesn't even compare. The Patriots were also in the game and in fact winning it the whole time. We were fighting from the basement and had f**king 7 measly god forsaken yards to go to get the trophy. Nothing can be worse than that and you can't even come up with a single argument to discount that. Our loss is like having the trophy 1 inch from your grasp and the Patriots had it in their lap the entire game.

Don't even try to compare the two because it isn't close. The Patriots battled through a weak ass AFC and then blew it in crunch time. We fought back only to hand it over once again in the easiest situation.
Share 49ersWebzone