LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
not even 2 weeks later, I'm already over this SB loss. The giants loss hurt until about 3 weeks after the superbowl for a grand total of 5 weeks of hurt.

Agree. It's strange to say, because I'd never expect a Championship loss to sting more than a Super Bowl loss, but it was the way the Niners lost to the Giants and the magic that surrounded that 2011 team that made it harder to swallow.

This 2012 team was inconsistent from the get-go (see W-W-L) so you never knew how they'd fair in the playoffs or if they'd even make it as far as they did last year.

2011's team was rock solid and a steady performer, even if the offense was much less competent. They played sounder, cleaner football in 2011 and with the magic of Harbaugh, an unprecedented defense, and a will to win, you just had a feeling the 2011 team had that "it" factor that would take them all the way.

2012's team was a roller coaster. Inconsistent, sloppier play, a QB change midseason (even though it made the team far better, so don't turn this into a QB debate--I love Kaep and he's far far better), and a defense that withered into almost nothing late in the season. At their best, the 2012 team was indeed superior to the 2011 squad. But at their worst, they were much worse. We only saw them at their best a handful of times (Bears game, Patriots first half, maybe the Green Bay game). So with this team, I never felt truly "confident" in winning at any point during the postseason. Each game was a crap shoot.

And that is why the 2011 game stung more for me. 2012 was much more of a disappointment than it was hurt.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am indeed on an island all by myself here i just can not understand,, ah forget it
SB loss will always hurt more especially how we lost. I will not get over this one for a very long time.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
SB loss will always hurt more especially how we lost. I will not get over this one for a very long time.

Yeah, not just losing the Superbowl the way we did...but now losing that undefeated in superbowls status really hurts. I'd rather we have lost Atlanta then to lose the Superbowl.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:

Yeah, not just losing the Superbowl the way we did...but now losing that undefeated in superbowls status really hurts. I'd rather we have lost Atlanta then to lose the Superbowl.

that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. who cares about being perfect in the super bowl. Just making it to the game is a big deal.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am indeed on an island all by myself here i just can not understand,, ah forget it

I wouldn't say that I'm "over" the Super Bowl loss. When I take the time to think about it, it really pisses me off. Trust me. I was THERE, LIVE at the 50 yard line.

I live and die by this team and haven't seen them in a Super Bowl since I was 9 years old. I'm just saying that when you put this all into perspective, it's nice to just have the team be the class of the NFL and be competitive again. If you had asked me 3 years ago if I could see the Niners go to the Championship game one year and the Super Bowl the next but lose both of them, I'd have given a resounding yes.

For ten years, all I wanted was a team who had more wins than losses. We've got that and much, much more now. It sucks losing the Super Bowl, but put the focus on 2013 and all that this team has ahead of it.
Originally posted by susweel:

that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. who cares about being perfect in the super bowl. Just making it to the game is a big deal.

This. It sucks to lose the big one, but do people not remember the abysmal feeling of hopelessness that permeating every season from 2003-2010? Do you remember having games be over by the first quarter? Do you remember seasons being over by the beginning of October? Watching football was no fun at all back then. The only reason I watched every game in those seasons was my undying dedication to the team. Sundays sucked. And when you thought they had a chance, they'd blow it. Every.time.

Be happy. We're a damn good team, arguably the best in the NFL. We've got young talent and the best coaching staff in the league. We're back, damnit! Football is fun and relevant in San Francisco.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by susweel:

This. It sucks to lose the big one, but do people not remember the abysmal feeling of hopelessness that permeating every season from 2003-2010? Do you remember having games be over by the first quarter? Do you remember seasons being over by the beginning of October? Watching football was no fun at all back then. The only reason I watched every game in those seasons was my undying dedication to the team. Sundays sucked. And when you thought they had a chance, they'd blow it. Every.time.

Be happy. We're a damn good team, arguably the best in the NFL. We've got young talent and the best coaching staff in the league. We're back, damnit! Football is fun and relevant in San Francisco.

this

the last two seasons have been just awesome it feels great to have your team win almost every single game. Just be happy our team is damn good and was just in the super bowl do you know how many fans would give their left nut to be in our position.
every loss hurts in my book
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
"just making it to the big game is a big deal" is playing not to win in my opinion. once you get to the big game you better damn well go all out to win the big game. we did not, the coaches did not in my opinion. 3 weeks after the game we are still only known for the team that lost the super bowl,,, not the team that made it to the super bowl. making it to the super bowl and then just shrugging our shoulders cuz we lost and being happy and gay cuz we got there is just nuts to me

"just making it to the big game is a big deal" is playing not to win in my opinion. once you get to the big game you better damn well go all out to win the big game. we did not, the coaches did not in my opinion. 3 weeks after the game we are still only known for the team that lost the super bowl,,, not the team that made it to the super bowl. making it to the super bowl and then just shrugging our shoulders cuz we lost and being happy and gay cuz we got there is just nuts to me

There's nothing else we can do. No point being angry, sad, upset or whatever about it.

Might as well do something constructive like check out drafts or free agent market.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

There's nothing else we can do. No point being angry, sad, upset or whatever about it.

Might as well do something constructive like check out drafts or free agent market.

that or unless cc can find an old Deloreon and build a time machine and tell them to replay the game
All the non calls by the refs lead me to believe the game was fixed. There was nothing the Niner players could do. The Niners had 5 penalties and the Ravens had 2 penalties. The refs were more than happy to call penalties on the Niners.
[ Edited by strinersniners on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I am at long last over the Super Bowl defeat. It was not meant to be our time.

i wish i could just sweep it under the rug, shrug my shoulders.. i just.. its just...

We've got the Truth at QB for the next 10 years. Look at all these stars we have in their prime or younger...

A. Davis
V. Davis
Staley
Iupati
Crabtree
Willis
Bowman
A. Smith

Plus Harbaugh coaching it all up? I ask you WZ who truly has is better than us? I wouldn't trade our team, our history, our coaches for any in football Baltimore included. Some team is going to come along and be team of the decade. Each decade has had one. Why not us this decade?
Share 49ersWebzone