There are 234 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
i will always blame then for what they did or did not do on the last three plays,,, for f**ks sake even little james got two god damn yards on the first down run,,,, how can anyone set there with a straight face and say that dixon or gore or ck could not have gotten in in three plays. that is what we do best that close to the goal line,, why the hell would you go away from it? if you did it because you were scared of the ravens defense,, well that is just as bad as not trying. I am not yelling at you bud,, its just,,,,, god damn it all to hell

whats done is done, no use in crying over spilled milk. We had our chances but didnt make the plays and got screwed by a bad a holding call but its over for me Im ready for the next phase of the off season.
cutting moss and ginn and trading alex for a third round pick would help me move away from the cliff. i still say the last ball thrown was headed out of bounds and was un... ahh forget it

Well Moss and Ginn are both free agents so no need to cut them I think we will sign a vet WR and draft couple more. Hopefully we can get something for Alex but its gonna be hard because teams know he will be cut anyways.
your theory on alex bothers me alot. i am scared we will get nothing from him and we sure could use another third round or fourth round pick to retool our defense, get a wide out, whatever
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Spot on. I'm very optimistic about next season. I think they'll have an explosive offense that's not so much a work in progress because they'll have the entire off season to build it around Kaepernick. I think they'll use the draft and free agency to plug some holes and tweak their defense. And, I've posted this before, but I think they'll be more prepared for Russell Wilson. They didn't see him coming last season, but now that they know him, there are ways to deal with him. They're already looking at some taller internal defensive linemen and some big NT's. They'll have their OLB's contain him in the pocket and try to crush the pocket on him to take advantage of his lack of height. They'll make it hard for him to see his receivers. They'll stunt Bowmand and/or Willis through middle gaps while using the OLB's to guard the outside. It's a fact of life - NFL teams almost always figure out ways to make it tough on shorter QB's and I think a bunch of wild, full-of-themselves Seahawks fans are going to be very disappointed next year because they think Russell is the second coming up there.
seattle will crash and burn, they can not put two good seasons together. the rams are a team to keep an eye on esp since we appear to have some type of mental block against them
seattle will crash and burn, they can not put two good seasons together. the rams are a team to keep an eye on esp since we appear to have some type of mental block against them

I don't know why, but I'm not that worried about the Rams. I think this last season with them was an anomaly. The first game, they were, by their own admission, playing out of their minds and the Niners were flat. The game in St. Louis was a fluke. That's just not going to happen again. I predict the Niners sweep them convincingly in 2013, partly because they had so much trouble with them this season.
I really do think that not only the Niners, but every other team that plays them will try to take the same approach with the Seahawks, It will be the same approach the NFL took with Tarkenton - try to contain him in the pocket; try to make it tough for him to see over his line and spot receivers. Russell is the classic burst on to the scene guy. Nobody was really ready for him. Everyone will be ready for him next season.
I have to echo a sentiment expressed just a bit earlier in this thread - It hurts like hell (still) to have lost the Super Bowl, but I'm moving forward now. Free Agency, OTA's, the Draft, Rookie Camp, More OTA's, Training Camp, Pres-season, Opening day - that's my agenda now.

Ginn is gone, Moss is gone, I think Soap is gone and RJF gets moved to NT, Haggans is gone, Alex is gone, I have this eerie feeling Goodwin MAY be gone (Joe Looney, anyone?), Whitner (soon to be?) gone. Kyle back, Mario back, Kendall back, Delanie back, a healthy Cowboy, a healthy Aldon (I believe it's going to come out he had a much worse injury than we were led to believe - they just couldn't come out and say it with Cowboy down, too), Goldson back. Pick up a killer Safety (draft or FA) and let Goldson play SS. Bring in a couple of quality D-linemen for depth. Draft some WR's and DB's and DL's and let's just win #6 next year. Frankly, that will be THE ONLY THING that gets this bitter taste out of my mouth. I've said it elsewhere on these boards - the 49ers WILL be the first team to total 10 Super Bowl wins. We were the first to 5, we'll be the first to 10. With a little tweaking, this team could put #6 - 7 - 8 and possibly 9 in the trophy case. Maybe I'm a dreamer. Maybe I'll get hammered for it, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
The answer to this one probably depends on when you first became a fan of the team.

If you became a fan after the Montana-Young era was over, I think your answer is more likely to be the Giants loss. We were finally in the playoffs, had #1 defense and special teams, and seemed poised to win that game and then threw it away twice in the 4th quarter and overtime. We likely would have beaten New England in the Super Bowl 2 weeks later had we won (this year I think the Pats would have torched us with how bad our D was, but last year entirely different story). So we blew an NFC title game and a Super Bowl last year, whereas this year we just blew a Super Bowl. If you're not concerned about the 5-0 legacy, and you grew up with the Erickson-Nolan-Singletary mess, last year's final loss was worse, because objectively the team did better this year than last year.

But if you were a fan of the team during the Montana-Young era like I was, I think it's pretty obvious this Super Bowl was worse. The one thing we all had was the fact that this team was 5-0 in Super Bowls. That's what our legacy was and that's what we held over everyone else. The Steelers could win more Super Bowls, but they still lost a bunch. Dallas tied us, but they still lost a bunch too. The Patriots are a dynasty, but they blew Super Bowls unlike we did. Nobody could talk smack because 5-0 was always the retort. But this defeat wipes that out - and no matter how many Super Bowls we win, you can't erase that loss. And then of course there's the way that game played out. It's pretty hard to even script a worse way to lose. We both managed to get our butts kicked AND we came a few yards short, both in the span of one game! It's like Bills vs. Cowboys and Titans vs. Rams in the same game.
[ Edited by OrlandoNiner on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM ]
The refs non calls on the Ravens holding and helmet to helmet to Crabtree's head with in the 5 yard line while the ref was looking right at the play. Also the shove of a ref by the Raven with no call of an ejection,penalty and fine. The Niners had 5 penalties and the Ravens only 2?! I believe this game may have been fixed. What say you?
Why not file a protest of this last Superbowl?
Originally posted by Beeker:
I have to echo a sentiment expressed just a bit earlier in this thread - It hurts like hell (still) to have lost the Super Bowl, but I'm moving forward now. Free Agency, OTA's, the Draft, Rookie Camp, More OTA's, Training Camp, Pres-season, Opening day - that's my agenda now.

Ginn is gone, Moss is gone, I think Soap is gone and RJF gets moved to NT, Haggans is gone, Alex is gone, I have this eerie feeling Goodwin MAY be gone (Joe Looney, anyone?), Whitner (soon to be?) gone. Kyle back, Mario back, Kendall back, Delanie back, a healthy Cowboy, a healthy Aldon (I believe it's going to come out he had a much worse injury than we were led to believe - they just couldn't come out and say it with Cowboy down, too), Goldson back. Pick up a killer Safety (draft or FA) and let Goldson play SS. Bring in a couple of quality D-linemen for depth. Draft some WR's and DB's and DL's and let's just win #6 next year. Frankly, that will be THE ONLY THING that gets this bitter taste out of my mouth. I've said it elsewhere on these boards - the 49ers WILL be the first team to total 10 Super Bowl wins. We were the first to 5, we'll be the first to 10. With a little tweaking, this team could put #6 - 7 - 8 and possibly 9 in the trophy case. Maybe I'm a dreamer. Maybe I'll get hammered for it, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Great post.
The Giants NFC Championship Game -- KF (Kyle Fumbles)
The Ravens Superbowl -- RR (Ref's Robbery)

Next Year's Superbowl - a combination of both KF and RR

KFRR

Kaep F***ing Reaps Revenge

Choking is always hard to swallow but seeing the coaching melt-down in the SB was beyond compare. This was our best chance of winning another SB and we choked like school girls. I'm afraid our window is closing fast. You only get so many chances and we've choked them away. I doubt we even win the division next season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strinersniners:
The refs non calls on the Ravens holding and helmet to helmet to Crabtree's head with in the 5 yard line while the ref was looking right at the play. Also the shove of a ref by the Raven with no call of an ejection,penalty and fine. The Niners had 5 penalties and the Ravens only 2?! I believe this game may have been fixed. What say you?
i say sour grapes, i say we and the coaches were our own worst enemys. the game was not fixed, we f**ked up many times on the big stage, which we never never never have done,,, that is why this loss should rip the gut out of every niner fan no matter how old they are. we had a chance to win this game and yet our team was not put into the best situation to win it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strinersniners:
Why not file a protest of this last Superbowl?
some things are not even worth answering
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The Giants NFC Championship Game -- KF (Kyle Fumbles)
The Ravens Superbowl -- RR (Ref's Robbery)

Next Year's Superbowl - a combination of both KF and RR

KFRR

Kaep F***ing Reaps Revenge

Originally posted by RandG4life:
Choking is always hard to swallow but seeing the coaching melt-down in the SB was beyond compare. This was our best chance of winning another SB and we choked like school girls. I'm afraid our window is closing fast. You only get so many chances and we've choked them away. I doubt we even win the division next season.

What the f**k are you talking about? We have a 25 year old QB that will only get better. He has the best coach in the league leading him and is surrounded by a lot of talented young players on defense and offense. We have a GM that drafts excellent talent for us and will only make this team better as time goes by. You are delusional if you think this imaginary "window" of ours is closing.
Share 49ersWebzone