There are 231 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Im thinking about re-watching the super bowl someday but it will probably piss me off again. I still have not ever re-watched the NFCG that one really hurt bad.

I don't plan to watch either until at least another couple of years have passed.

Two years in a row where we should have won the super bowl and didnt. Now I kind of know how the Buffalo Bills fans felt.
  • NE232
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
Sorry but I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. The Giants that year had a much tougher schedule than the undefeated Patriots. The players were overly cocky and thought the superbowl was already won. They slipped and let the lucky Giants pull off a miracle. The Patriots were in hail mary territory and we were f**king 7 yards from it with 3 f**king downs. That doesn't even compare. The Patriots were also in the game and in fact winning it the whole time. We were fighting from the basement and had f**king 7 measly god forsaken yards to go to get the trophy. Nothing can be worse than that and you can't even come up with a single argument to discount that. Our loss is like having the trophy 1 inch from your grasp and the Patriots had it in their lap the entire game.

Don't even try to compare the two because it isn't close. The Patriots battled through a weak ass AFC and then blew it in crunch time. We fought back only to hand it over once again in the easiest situation.

Patriots had an easy schedule? They played 3 playoff teams from the NFC (Dallas, NYG, and Was). They beat the Colts, Chargers and Steelers in the regular season... Colts and Steelers represented the last two Super Bowl champs too...
Giants had played 6 playoff games (Dallas, Was, GB, NE).

I don't see how you can argue the Pats had an easier schedule. They play in an easier division, but the playoff teams they played in the AFC were often considered the best teams in the entire league. Steelers won the Super Bowl the next season and the Colts made it the season after, so those two teams were still in their legitimate contending runs. Chargers had the best record the season before and were arguably better in 07 despite having a worse record. I would say the Pats played more formidable opponents than the Giants during the regular season.

Now, onto the game. Patriots had a lead with 30 seconds left in it and ended up losing? How is that not a horrible way to lose? You're right, the Pats had the game in their lap the entire time and STILL managed to find a way to lose the game. SF never had the lead.

With regards to you saying the Pats were a hail Mary away and the 49ers were 7 yards from it with three downs...on the Giants final drive, Asante Samuel had a game sealing INT bounce off his hands.

And of course, the Tyree play. I don't like saying it lost the game, because it was a third down play, but our all-pro DT/DE Seymour had him in his hands. Eli escapes, and then launches a ball in the middle of the field to a no name receiver who was covered by a potential future HOFer in Harrison.

IMO, losing the game when you have a 4 point lead in the closing minute is much worse than losing it when you've been down the whole game. Both were heartbreaking ways to lose, but I don't see the comparison when you consider what was at stake.

Also, 49ers only played 5 playoff game during the regular season. Again, I don't understand how you can say the Pats had an easy schedule in '07. The AFC East was bad, but the AFC was stronger than the NFC then and the Pats beat the Chargers, Colts and Steelers who were all considered top 6 teams.
Im thinking about re-watching the super bowl someday but it will probably piss me off again. I still have not ever re-watched the NFCG that one really hurt bad.

I don't plan to watch either until at least another couple of years have passed.

Two years in a row where we should have won the super bowl and didnt. Now I kind of know how the Buffalo Bills fans felt.

we got 5 rings but we have more than 5 other years you could say we were the best team in football who 'should' have won it all. comes with the territory
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by crabman82:

we got 5 rings but we have more than 5 other years you could say we were the best team in football who 'should' have won it all. comes with the territory

yah thats true, good poin
Here's some interesting thoughts from STeve Young on the Super Bowl from a recent web interview posted on another link in the zone.

He has some good observations on the game. Also, where he thinks the Pistol is going. It's interesting, articulate. 9er fans may not want to read it.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/02/inside-the-49ers/young-you-could-make-a-case-that-this-was-the-season-that-the-49ers-with-colin-kaepernick-needed-to-win-the-super-bowl/
  • NE232
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Here's some interesting thoughts from STeve Young on the Super Bowl from a recent web interview posted on another link in the zone.

He has some good observations on the game. Also, where he thinks the Pistol is going. It's interesting, articulate. 9er fans may not want to read it.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/02/inside-the-49ers/young-you-could-make-a-case-that-this-was-the-season-that-the-49ers-with-colin-kaepernick-needed-to-win-the-super-bowl/

I'm not sure the Pistol will the die the same way as the wildcat. In the wild cat, teams usually put a non QB or a non throwing QB (Tebow) in shotgun...pretty much erasing any threat true threat of the pass. As long as Kaepernick continues to progress as a pocket passer, I think the pistol can be even more deadly. Teams will continue to try and make Kaepernick beat them in the pocket. When he gets to the point where he can consistently do it, then he arguably becomes the most dangerous weapon in the game.

I think the window will still be pretty wide open for the next two years. Having a franchise QB at the price of Kaepernick gives the 49ers a tremendous amount of flexibility when it comes to the other 52 guys on the active roster.

Yeah, the loss sucks for you guys. But the 49ers are in tremendous position to make a run for the next couple of years. The biggest thing going against them is history (Super Bowl loser hasn't won the following Super Bowl in a long time, QB who loses his first Super Bowl usually doesn't win another one, etc)...but I wouldn't consider that a major concern.
I'm going with the Giants last year. The 2011 team was a more fun experience to watch because it was less expected. Plus the QB switch in 2012 just drained a lot of the fun out of 2012 for me - just endless conversation that drowned out the real problem at the end of the season (Justin's injury and the defense's regression).
We have lost in many NFC championship games before which have all hurt; but we NEVER lose at Superbowls; I still am in a bit of shock/depressed mode You only so get many opportunities, and we mest this one up in the first half; that LMJ fumble killed us
Originally posted by crabman82:

How about '87? The #1 offense AND the #1 defense in the entire league, the odds on favorite to win it all, everyone's pick... and we get knocked out by a wild card team (The Vikings) because one of their receivers, Anthony Carter has the best day of his career.
Originally posted by hateroids84:
We have lost in many NFC championship games before which have all hurt; but we NEVER lose at Superbowls; I still am in a bit of shock/depressed mode You only so get many opportunities, and we mest this one up in the first half; that LMJ fumble killed us

Don't forget, the D let them in after that.
Originally posted by NE232:
I'm not sure the Pistol will the die the same way as the wildcat. In the wild cat, teams usually put a non QB or a non throwing QB (Tebow) in shotgun...pretty much erasing any threat true threat of the pass. As long as Kaepernick continues to progress as a pocket passer, I think the pistol can be even more deadly. Teams will continue to try and make Kaepernick beat them in the pocket. When he gets to the point where he can consistently do it, then he arguably becomes the most dangerous weapon in the game.

I think the window will still be pretty wide open for the next two years. Having a franchise QB at the price of Kaepernick gives the 49ers a tremendous amount of flexibility when it comes to the other 52 guys on the active roster.

Yeah, the loss sucks for you guys. But the 49ers are in tremendous position to make a run for the next couple of years. The biggest thing going against them is history (Super Bowl loser hasn't won the following Super Bowl in a long time, QB who loses his first Super Bowl usually doesn't win another one, etc)...but I wouldn't consider that a major concern.

2 years? Really? I think the window is already closing on the pistol. The Green Bay game and the SI cover woke up all the D coordinators. Neither ATL or BALT gave up yards to CK on designed runs. See, this is where my apprehension about Roman starts to kick in. Is he going to adjust and take the Pistol concept to the next level? He made some cute adjustments (holding CK to the inside, and pitching wide to LMJ), but no game changing plays out of them. Does he have a counter punch for the counters? Honestly, and I don't want to put the guy down because he is obviously very knowledgeable, but I am skeptical that he can improvise and create a way to keep the pistol offense evolving against schemes tailored to stuff the edge or smashmouth CK.

Why? It's a gut feeling. He has a very baroque sense of formation, like you can win games just by lining people up in unexpected places. Maybe. It seems a little indirect to me. It's a weak posture. It's a focus on the opponents. It's actually letting the defense dictate to you what you will do. You are so busy trying to exploit their weaknesses you are not exploiting your strengths.

One result? The team could barely get the snap off in time for much of the season.

The niners need to fine tune the coaching booth to avoid being perpetual bridesmaids. Lets face it. They were out coached in the SB. On several levels.

And speaking of being out coached, when do you think it's time for Belichek to ride into the sunset? Pretty soon now I think. I would be pissed if I was a new england fan. Peese has got your number my friends. you need to change the playbook.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
How about '87? The #1 offense AND the #1 defense in the entire league, the odds on favorite to win it all, everyone's pick... and we get knocked out by a wild card team (The Vikings) because one of their receivers, Anthony Carter has the best day of his career.

See, that hurt a lot more than the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We lost the SUPERBOWL..... We no longer have the glory of being 5-0 in SUPERBOWLS............... Now we're 5-1..... This sucks even more

Pretty much...
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

See, that hurt a lot more than the Super Bowl.
That 49-3 shellacking in New York was like needles in the eyes. Montana gets sent to the hospital while throwing a pick-six to Lawrence Taylor??!! Rice drops the ball for a touch back on his way to the end zone behind the entire Giants secondary??!! Are you kidding me? Or how about "face guarding" on Ronnie Lott when he has his hands at his sides during the closing seconds of the Redskins title game after the '83 season? Or how about deep in Giants territory, ready to ice the game with a FG and go to your third SB in a row, only to see it fumbled away, watching Parcels and his players holding hands and praying and then hearing Parcels say, "you know, I think God was with us out on the field today." Now that's what I call fricking painful.

I understand anyone who was most hurt by this Super Bowl loss, but I'm trying to look at it as the beginning motivational inspiration for a long run of being perennial contenders with a Colin Kaepernick offense. And, I'm pretty sure people will be annoyed by this, but I think it's interesting to finally really understand the hurt our team has put on millions of people five different times. We finally get a chance to feel that - go all the way to the final seconds of an entire season, to the pinnacle, and then be denied. The Niners have laid that feeling on millions of Bengals, Broncos, Dolphins and Chargers fans. Now we know. And as far as I'm concerned, 5-1 is still in Cowboys and Steelers territory. It's still right up there with the most storied franchises of the modern era. I'll take it.
I don't really care if the Pistol goes away. Every one of these former NFL QB's who are hyperventilating about Kaepernick are not talking about the Pistol. They're talking about his passing. He can pass from the pocket. He can play the pro set. He can roll out in the flat either way. I've really never seen any right hander throw a better pass while running left (that's what Bradshaw and Aikman have been raving about). And, if he gets flushed or sees a lane, he's still gone - he can still get 25 yards down the field before anyone catches their breath. The Pistol is fine and I hope it lasts a while, but Kaepernick doesn't need that set to be successful. As Suggs said, "he's the truth."
Giants loss hurt for a month, Im already over the superbowl loss
Share 49ersWebzone