There are 158 users in the forums

If we score on that last drive

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Do you think our defense could of stopped them? I have doubts the way our secondary was playing. I honestly thought we'd score when we got to the five yd line I was more worried about the defense stopping the ravens from going back down to win.
No.

The Ravens were having their way the entire game. Had it not been for the Rice fumble, the Ravens probably put up 40+.
Originally posted by leafs43:
No.

The Ravens were having their way the entire game. Had it not been for the Rice fumble, the Ravens probably put up 40+.

had it not been for the power outage, it wouldn't have even been a competitive game.
i also don't think we would have stopped them. flacco against our secondary. plus they have a good kicker.

but, it would have been nice to make them do it.
If we score a TD in the first half....
I think the Ravens definitely would've marched down and kicked a field goal. They would've had about 1:30 left and all three timeouts. That's practically an unlimited amount of time for an offense that can pass as well as they can.

So, here's where it gets tricky: had the 49ers scored, they would've went up 35-34. Obviously, kicking an extra point would've done them no good, so they would've had to go for a two point conversion. So, in my opinion, order for the 49ers to win, they would've had to:
a) score a touchdown
b) complete a two point conversion
c) prevent the Ravens from moving ~40-50 yards (field goal range, assume a decent return from Jones) to tie the game with a field goal and 1:30, 3 timeouts left.

Even if the Niners scored a touchdown, it was far from the sure-victory that people are making it out to be.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
honestly I don't think we would have stopped them. boldin was killing us
Game would have went to overtime. Score and a 2-pt conv and it's a 3 point game.

Ravens wouldve played for the FG, and in OT anything could happen.

Another lost opportunity.
Originally posted by drakan:
had it not been for the power outage, it wouldn't have even been a competitive game.

The lights went dark on us too. It was 3rd and long, and when the lights came back on we didn't convert it. That had absolutely nothing to do with our team stepping up.

Regarding the original question, I thought about this one a lot last night. We probably would have gone for the 2-point conversion had we made the TD. The Ravens would have only needed a field goal to either tie or win depending on the success of the 2-pointer. I honestly think our defense would have stopped them... all signs in the last few drives point to this. But in the end, we will never know.
Originally posted by leafs43:
No.

Pretty much. The Ravens were on a roll at that point, and the 49ers were on the verge of complete collapse. The power outage cooled the Ravens down, and gave time for the 49ers to calm down.

I wonder if there were some Vegas bosses calling for some favors from their New Orleans friends.

We weren't going to stop them from at least a FG. Our best chance was to score 8 and steal the win in OT.
Originally posted by mattster03:

The lights went dark on us too. It was 3rd and long, and when the lights came back on we didn't convert it. That had absolutely nothing to do with our team stepping up.

Regarding the original question, I thought about this one a lot last night. We probably would have gone for the 2-point conversion had we made the TD. The Ravens would have only needed a field goal to either tie or win depending on the success of the 2-pointer. I honestly think our defense would have stopped them... all signs in the last few drives point to this. But in the end, we will never know.

Exactly, it wasn't like we scored when they came on. Baltimore went 3 and out. Not sure how people are making that assumption especially after coming back the last two weeks.
We were shutting them down pretty good in the second half. Who knows.

Doesn't really matter now.
We needed to convert that fumble into 7 and failed, we could have kept the game a 2-3 point difference the entire 4th quarter but failed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
our defense would not have stopped them. aldon was the invisible man, our secondary was horrid, bowman even sucked. willis could not do everything. so god damn mad at aldon smith. his alleged arm injury had nothing to do with him always being out of position and always standing around looking like a big dummy.. and do not get me started on our keystone cops coverage when the guy caught the long ball got up and ran in to the end zone. ronnie lott probably cut off all of his fingers when he saw that s**t
Share 49ersWebzone