There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bitter Joe Montana says '89 team would beat this years team

I'm not going to pretend that I know which team would have beaten the other, but there is something there in the size of today's players. 300 lb lineman were few and far between back then. It wasn't until the 90's cowboys that every player on the o-line was over 300 lbs. When our current Niners go big there are almost 2,000 lbs of men on the line. The game of yesteryear would definitely have problems dealing with that.
No team from the 80s would even come close to beating a championship team from today. The 80s team would be obliterated.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Greatest QB of All Time.
Greatest WR of All Time
Elite RB
Elite OL
Elite DL
Great LB Core, Turner and Hayley
Greatest S of All Time Ronnnie Lott
Great Secondary

I'd say they would beat us too.

You also left out the Greatest Head Coach of All Time.....
Originally posted by SaksV:
Greatest QB of All Time.
Greatest WR of All Time
Elite RB
Elite OL
Elite DL
Great Secondary

George Seifert?!?!?!
I'd take a experience 3x Super Champion in Joe Cool over a 2nd year incredibly gifted of a QB in Kaepernick anyday

Joe's RIGHT
IMO the '89 team was the greatest 49er team of all time
I'm bitter you called Joe Montana bitter! They would win!
bitter? lol that team was just downright beastly. theyd destroy the 18-1 Pats of 07. theyd give the 94 9ers a serious run for their money. this years team has got to win a championship first but then prove theyre better than the 94 team before thinking about that 89 team.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'm not going to pretend that I know which team would have beaten the other, but there is something there in the size of today's players. 300 lb lineman were few and far between back then. It wasn't until the 90's cowboys that every player on the o-line was over 300 lbs. When our current Niners go big there are almost 2,000 lbs of men on the line. The game of yesteryear would definitely have problems dealing with that.

true but players had alot less protection back then. it was a brutal game in the trenches, on the outsides, the QB. recievers could push off, hits to the head were commonplace, QBs were getting rushed and attacked even during kneeldowns. The game back in the day was more brutal i feel than todays team. what the 80s team had in ferocity i think would overcome the talent these guys have today
Greatest QB of All Time.
Greatest WR of All Time
Elite RB
Elite OL
Elite DL
Great Secondary

FAIL.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18406/best-49ers-team-ever-1989

way too long to post.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Greatest QB of All Time.
Greatest WR of All Time
Elite RB
Elite OL
Elite DL
Great Secondary

FAIL.

uhh i dont think Walsh was coaching that year...unless u meant Seifert. which again youd be wrong
[ Edited by ruthless49er on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM ]
Nothing bitter about it. The 89 group was probably the best ever assembled.
If we're comparing overall greatness, the 1989 team is easily the better team. It's probably the greatest team ever in league history. There's never been a squad who dominated their era like the 89 Niners.

But if we're talking about the 1989 Niners vs the 2012 Niners on the field head to head, I think the 2012 team would win based off the size/athleticism difference of the linemen. In that case, the modern team would always beat out the team from 20 years ago. Obviously the 1989 team had a better lineup across the board as far as legends go. Montana, Rice, Craig, Taylor, Jones, Haley, and Lott were good enough to play in ANY era. However, the offensive and defensive lines don't translate well from the past to today. The skill positions of the 89 team are absolutely better than the current group of Kaep, Crabtree, etc...but the biggest factor is the trenches. I don't believe the 89 lines could match up with the 2012 lines:

1989 O-Line:
LT Bubba Paris: 6'6, 300
LG Guy McIntyre: 6'3, 275
C Jesse Sapolu: 6'4, 271
RG Bruce Collie: 6'6, 275
RT Harris Barton: 6'4, 286
Average Weight: 281.4 lbs

2012 D-Line (3-4):
DE Justin Smith: 6'4, 285
NT Isaac Sopoaga: 6'2, 320
DE Ray McDonald: 6'3, 290
Average Weight: 298.3 lbs

Mind you, it takes at least two good 300+ pound lineman to have a chance to effectively block Justin Smith. As good as McIntyre and Sapolu were, they would struggle to block Smith at 275 and 271 pounds respectively. If Smith is dominating double teams from good athletic big guys of today, I'm sure he would dominate good athletic undersized guys of the past. Now consider the current O-Line vs the past D-Line:

2012 O-Line:
LT Joe Staley: 6'5, 315
LG Mike Iupati: 6'5, 331
C Jonathan Goodwin: 6'3, 318
RG Alex Boone: 6'8, 300
RT Anthony Davis: 6'5, 323
Average Weight: 317.4 lbs

1989 D-Line (3-4):
DE Pierce Holt: 6'4, 275
NT Michael Carter: 6'2, 285
DE Kevin f*gan: 6'3, 260
Average Weight: 273.3 lbs

The 2012 O-Line is considered the best in today's game due to their ability to maul and abuse defensive lines every Sunday. If they can dominate bigger, stronger, and faster defenses of today's game, I think they can dominate a 3-4 defensive line that averages 273 lbs. They could just run the ball all game long.

Kaep is no where close to Montana. Crabtree is no where close to Rice. Goldson/Whitner is no where close to Lott. But the 1989 lines are no where close to the 2013 lines. Games are won in the trenches, and that's where the current team has the edge.

(On another note...It's finally game day!!! GO NINERS!!! Bring home #6!!!)
[ Edited by candlestick49er on Feb 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Agreed. If they win then you can start comparing them to superbowl teams.
We have to go back to back in order to compare