LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Analysts' Reasons For Picking Ravens

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Really the main reason why the analysts are picking the Ravens is due to Justin Smith's injury. Say what you want but without a healthy Justin Smith, our defense does NOT get pressure on the QB. Our defense in the playoffs is not the same as it was in the regular season. Advantage Ravens.

If (and it's a HUGE if) we can somehow get in Flacco's face we regain the advantage. If Flacco can sit back all day and pick apart our defense it might be a long day. Gotta admit that Pitta and Bolden over the middle scare the heck out of me.

We got good pressure on Ryan last week. In the beginning of the game he had a few nice pockets, but as the game wore on he was getting hit quite a bit. The sacks didn't materialize, but they also didn't score any points in the second half. Justin, is no question the engine of our defense, but he was doing work last game. He'll be even better tomorrow.

Gotta factor in that this is the last game too. Justin said it himself "we only have 4 more quarters left."

Dudes gonna be going balls to the wall and I expect him to be playing like a man possessed in those final 15 minutes.

Kegbert got this right. IF Aldon can ratchet up too, along with Brooks, there will be light at the end of this tunnel//
Tom Jackson, "Sunday NFL Countdown" and "Monday Night Countdown" analyst: 24-21. "In the critical area -- the front line on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball -- I think the 49ers have an edge."

espn.go.com/nfl/picks

nice picking by Tom Jackson
Originally posted by TheTruth2013:
Team of Destiny? No but the reasons for a Ravens victory is simple. Heathly for the first time all season the D and O line is playing like champions, the D holding Brady to 13 pts in their house! Stopping a hot Colts team and follow that with wins at denver and NE! Flacco playing on fire with tons of post season exp. Your QB is good (so Far) but has 10 games under his belt. Quite frankly everytime he takes off the odds of him having a long NFL life gets smaller. Just ask guys like RG3 if he would run against the Ravens again. I have nothing against the 49ers I like them , but the Ravens are on a run and I feel they are not going to stop. So 31-20 Ravens is my pick....TheTruth

Kaep is not the same as RG3. I unserstand the comparison, but its a false comparison. The scheme the niners run is in fact mch differant than what the redskins were running. Kaep is much more solid from a physical standpoint. Hes much smarter when taking off, content to slide or run out of bounds. And the offense does not have to have kaep running to be successful.

Our D is also healthy again(as healthy as you can be this late in the season), getting the major cog to our defense back in Justin Smith.

Your defense is going to be running around on their heels. The diversity of formations and schemes keeps defenses second guessing from the get go. They have to account for Kaep in both the pass and the run because he can and does beat defenses with both his legs and his arm. Gore can and will run against any Defense in the league this is a guy that had 1200+ rushing yards this season, with only a long of 37. He simple chips, and chips, and chips away until the defense doesnt want to play the run any more. Crabtree has been clutch on third, and has shown the ability this season to take the short throws the distance. VD and walker are a nightmare to cover for any LB. Moss still draws the double, and if he doesnt he will beat the single. LMJ is a huge threat in open space, and Miller is a damn good FB who makes plays. The Oline has also been killing dlines. We can hit the homerun from anywhere on the feild whether in the ass or run game, and our RZ offense is about as efficient as it gets.

Our defense will shut the run down and make you one dimentional on offense. I think you will hit a few big plays against our defense in the passing game, but that will be it. It wont be enough however because i think your defense is going to struggle bigtime against this offense.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by dscola:
I never said you have no buisness in the game. I just happen to think the AFC is very weak compared to the NFC right now as far as level of competition week in and week out, and i dont think you guys have had any experiance this season facing a team like this 49ers team. The niners on the other hand have had a very diverse schedule, and we play in a division with very good defenses throughout. Better than the ravens. The ravens defense is ageing, and without the big plays from flacco you would not be where you are this season. I feel this 49ers team is going to seriously exploit your defense. Further more we have played the whos who of top NFL offenses this season, and more often than not we came out on top. Your offense simple does not scare me.

Before I began my post, I'm not arguing. Just debating, so please don't take what I say personally.

1st of all, who on our defense besides Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are old? Suggs just turned 30. Ngata, Kruger, Arthur Jones, Ellerbee, Cary Williams, Pollard, and Jimmy Smith are all under 30 years old. We are an old defense by no means. Just more lazy reporting by the media that gets spewed as fact.
Secondly, if my mother had balls, she'd be my uncle. You can't take away the big plays from Flacco because they happened. If the Rams had a halfway decent team, you'd be 10-6.
3rd, It matters not who the 9ers or Ravens have played to this point. Especially considering that the Ravens hadn't played their starting defense together until the 1st playoff game and Kaepernick(sp) hadn't started until Smith got hurt.

Both teams can and have shut down the best offenses for multiple years. So thinking that your team will be impossible to stop is ridiculous. I'm sure both teams will have multiple stops of the other team tommorow.

For the record, I have the game ending at 27-24 Ravens. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it ends up the other way around though.

How exactly would we be 10-6? we finished the season 11-4-1. We lost one and tied one with the rams. Worse case scenerio, we lose both and we are 11-5. Akers makes a field goal in each and we are 13-3.

The rest of the stuff you posted i disagree with for the most part, but we will have to agree to disagree. I personally feel more confident about this game than any game we have played since dec. 9th. I think we win solidly. YMMV and it obviously does.

A common misconception among AFC fans is that the Rams have a lousy team. They most certainly do not.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Kevin M. ‏@beerdaddyblog

Rick Reilly just predicted Ravens over 49ers 35-34 in overtime. How is that score even possible in overtime? @PaulPabst

even if the score was tied 32-32, a safety would end the game for either side.

Rick Reilly is a moron lol, tired of that guy
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy MVP for the Ravens may end up being practice-squad QB Dennis Dixon. He has same skill set as Kaepernick and has simulated him for their D.

wow

If Dennis Dixon is so great why has he bounced around the league since he left college and why is he on a practice squad? Blah blah blah

He is not as fast or as tall as Kaep; but he did run a similar offense in college. I don't know what type of arm he has.

I'm glad they down graded their training!
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8904748&categoryid=2459789

first john clayton....now skip?

is hell freezing?
[ Edited by TlSSER on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM ]
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy MVP for the Ravens may end up being practice-squad QB Dennis Dixon. He has same skill set as Kaepernick and has simulated him for their D.

wow

If Dennis Dixon is so great why has he bounced around the league since he left college and why is he on a practice squad? Blah blah blah

He is not as fast or as tall as Kaep; but he did run a similar offense in college. I don't know what type of arm he has.

I'm glad they down graded their training!

Ala the packers lulz
This destiny BS has maxed out. What's the destiny about? A player that has already won a SB with a checkered past that talks God? An owner that died who was basically a Madman (see Don Draper). I go back to the first Ali-Frazier fight, (and I was a Big Ali fan), during the fight Ali kept telling Frazier, "I'm God, I'm God". Frazier kept pounding him and saying, "You ain't God". A left hook by Frazier put Ali on the canvas in the 15th round. I look for the same result by the 49ers come SB Sunday.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I never said you have no buisness in the game. I just happen to think the AFC is very weak compared to the NFC right now as far as level of competition week in and week out, and i dont think you guys have had any experiance this season facing a team like this 49ers team. The niners on the other hand have had a very diverse schedule, and we play in a division with very good defenses throughout. Better than the ravens. The ravens defense is ageing, and without the big plays from flacco you would not be where you are this season. I feel this 49ers team is going to seriously exploit your defense. Further more we have played the whos who of top NFL offenses this season, and more often than not we came out on top. Your offense simple does not scare me.

Before I began my post, I'm not arguing. Just debating, so please don't take what I say personally.

1st of all, who on our defense besides Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are old? Suggs just turned 30. Ngata, Kruger, Arthur Jones, Ellerbee, Cary Williams, Pollard, and Jimmy Smith are all under 30 years old. We are an old defense by no means. Just more lazy reporting by the media that gets spewed as fact.
Secondly, if my mother had balls, she'd be my uncle. You can't take away the big plays from Flacco because they happened. If the Rams had a halfway decent team, you'd be 10-6.
3rd, It matters not who the 9ers or Ravens have played to this point. Especially considering that the Ravens hadn't played their starting defense together until the 1st playoff game and Kaepernick(sp) hadn't started until Smith got hurt.

Both teams can and have shut down the best offenses for multiple years. So thinking that your team will be impossible to stop is ridiculous. I'm sure both teams will have multiple stops of the other team tommorow.

For the record, I have the game ending at 27-24 Ravens. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it ends up the other way around though.

How exactly would we be 10-6? we finished the season 11-4-1. We lost one and tied one with the rams. Worse case scenerio, we lose both and we are 11-5. Akers makes a field goal in each and we are 13-3.

The rest of the stuff you posted i disagree with for the most part, but we will have to agree to disagree. I personally feel more confident about this game than any game we have played since dec. 9th. I think we win solidly. YMMV and it obviously does.

A common misconception among AFC fans is that the Rams have a lousy team. They most certainly do not.

That defense is no joke. And if they can get more offensive production, watch out. NFC west is the best division in football right now.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Tom Jackson, "Sunday NFL Countdown" and "Monday Night Countdown" analyst: 24-21. "In the critical area -- the front line on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball -- I think the 49ers have an edge."

espn.go.com/nfl/picks

nice picking by Tom Jackson

Jesus these guys are such flip-floppers, the pic of the espn picks on the last page shows him taking the Ravens lol.

Our O-Line is the best in the league. Our defensive front 7 is the best in the league. Basically, the 49ers and Ravens are the same team - except SF is better in every facet of the game besides FG kicking and our QB is more athletic and dangerous in more ways. Also, our offense is more dynamic and the pistol hasn't been stopped. This is why most analysts are picking SF.

This particular thread, however, is simply about the lame reasoning given by the few analysts who are picking the Ravens. I'd like to know how you feel about their reasons. Do you think their magical reasoning is valid? Is it a real argument to use Ray Lewis' last game as a reason your team should win?
Team of Destiny? No but the reasons for a Ravens victory is simple. Heathly for the first time all season the D and O line is playing like champions, the D holding Brady to 13 pts in their house! Stopping a hot Colts team and follow that with wins at denver and NE! Flacco playing on fire with tons of post season exp. Your QB is good (so Far) but has 10 games under his belt. Quite frankly everytime he takes off the odds of him having a long NFL life gets smaller. Just ask guys like RG3 if he would run against the Ravens again. I have nothing against the 49ers I like them , but the Ravens are on a run and I feel they are not going to stop. So 31-20 Ravens is my pick....TheTruth

You fail to realize Kaepernick is not a small guy who is likely to get injured if he runs. Guys like Vick, RG3 AND Russell Wilson are small and your assumption of them getting hurt is valid. Kaepernick is 6'5" and over 230 lbs. He isn't a fragile little guy. He's big enough to take the hits.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

You fail to realize Kaepernick is not a small guy who is likely to get injured if he runs. Guys like Vick, RG3 AND Russell Wilson are small and your assumption of them getting hurt is valid. Kaepernick is 6'5" and over 230 lbs. He isn't a fragile little guy. He's big enough to take the hits.

Share 49ersWebzone