There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Current Niners you just can't see on the team next year:

Culliver has the size and speed to do well. His problem, not just in the playoffs, but during the regular season, was finding the ball in the air. I found it very frustrating watching him be right with a given receiver time after time and then not go up at the right time to contend the jump ball. I assume they're going to work with him on that part of his game. He has to find the ball on those long throws and contend for it. If he does that, he'll be a shut-down corner.

SkyGod: "And so our secondary is only good if Justin Smith is playing well? lol"

Yes, a secondary always looks better with a better pass rush. Everyone knows this so I don't know what you're lol-ing about. And, yes, unfortunately last season, our pass rush had an awful lot to do with Justin Smith - way too much to do with Justin Smith. That's why they'll spend a lot of effort beefing up, strengthening and deepening the defensive line this off season. I won't be surprised if in the first three picks, they take 2 defensive linemen and a safety.
I think we are all well aware of who is gone next season, although I do think some of the names are overreactions, Culliver and Rogers for example. I am interested in seeing what happens over the next month as we try to get 15-20 million in extra cap space.
I don't see Dashon Goldston back Mike Mayock said this safety class is the best he's seen in a while, with special love going to Texas' Kenny Vaccaro.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Culliver is not fine as a starter go talk to the Falcons and John Harbaugh who targeted and torched him. lol

What good is a DB if he plays fine as you say in the regular season then gets targeted and stinks it up when it really matters in the playoffs and Super Bowl?

And so our secondary is only good if Justin Smith is playing well? lol

Overreaction.

Secondaries rely on pass rush. Always have. Always will. So yes, our secondary was only good when Smith was playing well. Because aside from him we had very little pass rush.

Culliver is a young player who will get better. No way is he playing for anyone else next year.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ted Ginn, Jr.
Brandon Jacobs
Randy Moss
Clark Haggans
Larry Grant (hope he stays)
Parys Haralson
Chad Hall
Michael Wilhoite
Leonard Davis
Darcel McBath
Ricky Jean Francois (hope he stays)

why Wilhoite? he is a PS/ST player, i thought he played well
I thought Wilhoite played well too. But do you honestly think he'll beat out a healthy Cam Johnson or a healthy Darius Fleming or a potential OLB draftee for a roster spot?
Originally posted by English:
Overreaction.

Secondaries rely on pass rush. Always have. Always will. So yes, our secondary was only good when Smith was playing well. Because aside from him we had very little pass rush.

Culliver is a young player who will get better. No way is he playing for anyone else next year.

s**tner Culliver & Rogers are utter garbage and are liabilities in coverage and it's not all on the pass rush they still have to cover guys give me a break i agree to disagree.
Akers and Ginn
Moss
I think Soap leaves and is replaced with a stud 1st rounder we move up for.
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for MertonHanksneck.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Overreaction.

s**tner Culliver & Rogers are utter garbage and are liabilities in coverage and it's not all on the pass rush they still have to cover guys give me a break i agree to disagree.

Whitner sucks imo..lays wood, but cant cover..he will prob be gone..Rogers is far from garbage- he definately digressed this season but had a solid year imo...Culliver is young and still improving - not garbage...he got picked on during the bowl..other than that he also had a solid year..we CANT have superstars at every position folks!!! This isnt Madden
Overreaction.

Exactly. As much as Culliver frustrated the heck out of me last season, his only real problem is locating the ball when it's in the air. He's got real good size and speed and those guys don't grow on trees. And again, he only costs the team $550K next season. Why wouldn't they work with him. He's not going anywhere. The only member of the Niners secondary I could imagine leaving would be Whitner, assuming they really do work something out with Goldson. I think it would be very risky to let both starting safeties go even if it is a draft deep in safeties. And, I don't see Baalke and Harbaugh doing risky things with this defense. I could imagine them letting Sopoaga walk if he gets a good offer from another team because they've got other veterans at the position and the draft is even deeper in defensive line talent than it is in safety talent. Plus, D-linemen are more likely to be able to step right in than safeties.
I may be old school, but it still annoys the heck out of me when zone members refer to a player as "garbage." None of these guys are "garbage." They're extremely talented, disciplined and gifted athletes and using that term on them is incredibly disrespectful. They've been leaving everything they've got on the field now, sometimes for years and the least fans can do is refrain from calling them something like that.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Ted Ginn, Jr.
Brandon Jacobs
Randy Moss
Clark Haggans
Larry Grant (hope he stays)
Parys Haralson
Chad Hall
Michael Wilhoite
Leonard Davis
Darcel McBath
Ricky Jean Francois (hope he stays)

why Wilhoite? he is a PS/ST player, i thought he played well
I thought Wilhoite played well too. But do you honestly think he'll beat out a healthy Cam Johnson or a healthy Darius Fleming or a potential OLB draftee for a roster spot?

good point, i can see him getting the job b/c both Grant & Godden are FA's. So if we dont bring both back then yes.
When will any of these guys get cut? Some teams are cutting non trad-able players. I guess a better question is who is under contract but will probably get cut?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home