LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

John Taylor: Drafted in '86...only debuts in '87 (why?) and AJ Jenkins

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylJo00.htm

Does anyone know why JT didn't play his rookie year? He has absolutely no stats for 1986. Was he hurt early on then put on IR? I know there was only marginal depth at WR with Clark, Rice, Wilson, etc. Was he in Bill Walsh's doghouse? He also had drug trouble in '88 but i don't think it was that. Other than one pass and dropping it, AJ has similarly been M.I.A. his rookie year...with how high he was picked i'd be happy if AJ just shows promise of having half as good a career as JT
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
he was on IR. he injured his back in camp or preseason, IIRC.
I know he was drafted in 86, but for whatever reason I always think of JT as a well established #2 when he made the clutch catch in the Superbowl. He was actually 5th in receiving yardage (325) behind Rice, Craig, Wilson and Rathman that year. His career year was the following year in 89 followed by 4-5 really good years.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:

oh okay thanks
Originally posted by boast:

as i recall he didnt look all that hreat in his 1st camp and they still liked him so he conveniently came up with a back injury so as to be eligible to be put on injured reserve
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylJo00.htm

Does anyone know why JT didn't play his rookie year? He has absolutely no stats for 1986. Was he hurt early on then put on IR? I know there was only marginal depth at WR with Clark, Rice, Wilson, etc. Was he in Bill Walsh's doghouse? He also had drug trouble in '88 but i don't think it was that. Other than one pass and dropping it, AJ has similarly been M.I.A. his rookie year...with how high he was picked i'd be happy if AJ just shows promise of having half as good a career as JT

Or he could end up like Rashaun Woods.

I hope hes just a slow starter, but it might just be that Baalke and Harbaugh decided to take a gamble on the talent, and it didnt work out. Still too early to call him a bust though. Im just afraid that his apparent laziness wont change. Im guessing laziness is the issue, because he showed up to camp out of shape and unable to keep up, and has gone a full season now without catching a single pass for a team thats hurting for WR depth.

LaMichael James was kept on the sidelines because we didnt need him until Hunter went down. Weve needed Jenkins for a while now, and hes still MIA...
Jenkins must step up for next season and prove his worth …
Share 49ersWebzone