There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Welcome Raven Fans: A gentleman/woman's thread...

I feel bad for Atlanta and I like the Ravens


How come we couldn't play teams I hate like the patriots and seahawks?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,432
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
people get sick of me( big shock) saying this,, but i still think the three headed monster of gore, james and ck is to much for any defense to contain and that will then open up the pass to crabs and vernon. at least that is what i think you are spot on joe. if they go 1975 forty niner cedrick hardman, tommy hart gold rush and get 9 sacks,, i will throw up my hands and worship at the feet of ray lewis

Yes, I will too, but that's not going to happen. Nine sacks is the result of no chance at solid preparation. And, let's not forget that the Niner line doesn't include Chilo Rachal anymore. As much as some people like to dismiss it, the Niners version of the Pistol, adding a lead blocker, has yet to be effectively stopped. They hadn't really implemented it the way we see it now the last time they played the Seahawks. We've seen two teams take the opposite approach to stopping it and neither approach worked. It's just simple arithmetic and the arithmetic works because Kaepernick is also a real good passer. So, until someone, anyone, effectively figures out how to stop that set the way the Niners run it, I'm not going to believe it can be stopped.
good god,, chilo the revolving turnstile to the quarterback. thank you for that memory i think ck does such a good good job in making a decision to either run or give it to gore. the packer and falcon defenders looked very foolish. i guess it can be done but how in the world can you simulate in practice the decision making that ck does?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,432
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
you are a very smart person,, last week when i was ranting about why vernon is invisible you told me that when teams start to blitz us, vernon will get open and make plays... well as i said,, you are very smart

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say, but I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with that myself. I must have heard it somewhere.
well they may have but yours is the one i remember. my daughter just reminded me, like you and joe did,, that our line is at least 70 per cent better with boone in there and god love alex,, but ck will not take the sacks alex took... i really fought that theory tooth and nail by good posters like you and joe that alex takes sacks,, but again the three headed monster of joe, you and my daughter proved me wrong! i love being wrong when it is good for the niners
Hey, we're all wrong about this and that at one time or another. But it takes a strong person to admit he or she was wrong about something. I may be wrong about this game coming up, but I can't help feeling that the Niners match up real well against this team and they're on their way to a sixth championship.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
you are a very smart person,, last week when i was ranting about why vernon is invisible you told me that when teams start to blitz us, vernon will get open and make plays... well as i said,, you are very smart

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say, but I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with that myself. I must have heard it somewhere.
well they may have but yours is the one i remember. my daughter just reminded me, like you and joe did,, that our line is at least 70 per cent better with boone in there and god love alex,, but ck will not take the sacks alex took... i really fought that theory tooth and nail by good posters like you and joe that alex takes sacks,, but again the three headed monster of joe, you and my daughter proved me wrong! i love being wrong when it is good for the niners

Boone has been huge. Combination of him and Kaep has really turned this OL around.

Love the fact that Boone bows down to noone. Him and Anthony Davis makes up one mean ass right side. Also, the Pistol and read-option makes things a little easier.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I feel bad for Atlanta and I like the Ravens


How come we couldn't play teams I hate like the patriots and seahawks?

Yeah I hear yeah, but in the SB we haven't ever played a hated team... Bangles, Broncos, Dolphin, Chargers, and now Raven's. None of those teams I've ever had a hatred for, and I hate a lot of teams. If we ever play the Steelers... oh man, I will watch that game with anger!!!

In the NFC, there aren't many teams i don't hate. I actually don't hate the Falcons. I hate the Packers, but not as much as when they had Farve. They were my #1 hate with Farve. Now it's....

1.) Steelers (Ben Ratheroigngasdg)
2.) Giants (You know why)
3.) Cowboys (That's just eternal)
4.) Seahawks (Pete Carroll)
5.) Lions (Suh, Shwartz)
6.) Packers
7.) Carolina (I really don't like Cam Newton, he shows no sign of humility and love how he's now in the shadow of RGIII, Wilson, luck, and Keap)
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Watching last weeks game, I realized that a QB who was a running threat was more than just a bonus, especially from a formation like the Pistol. The defense was forced to hold edges instead of collapsing on the pocket. This opened up lanes for Gore and LaMike as well as less pressure on Kaep on pocket throws. So while it's certainly not necessary, it does force defenses to play on their heals which makes things easier for everyone. So I guess it's still just a bonus, however, it's more than what's on the surface.

he does make life easier for those around him
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,191
One thing that gives me pause, Kaep has had limited success against good defenses. He simply hasn't seen many. ravens aren't what they were but they have woken up in the playoffs and any team that holds Brady to 13 points is a worry. Also legit running games have given us problems, which the Ravens have when they decide they want to. Not feeling as confident as IO was sunday night after looking at these things.
Originally posted by TX9R:
One thing that gives me pause, Kaep has had limited success against good defenses. He simply hasn't seen many. ravens aren't what they were but they have woken up in the playoffs and any team that holds Brady to 13 points is a worry. Also legit running games have given us problems, which the Ravens have when they decide they want to. Not feeling as confident as IO was sunday night after looking at these things.

They do match up pretty well, on both sides of the ball, against us. As always, it'll be up to ours and their O-Line to determine the outcome of this game, methinks...

I, for one, am expecting a great game from both teams.

- 98
Originally posted by TX9R:
One thing that gives me pause, Kaep has had limited success against good defenses. He simply hasn't seen many. ravens aren't what they were but they have woken up in the playoffs and any team that holds Brady to 13 points is a worry. Also legit running games have given us problems, which the Ravens have when they decide they want to. Not feeling as confident as IO was sunday night after looking at these things.

Yes but Keap has forced defenses into being reactionary because he has torched any defense that has tried to apply pressure and go with man on the back end.

I don't think BAL can play their comfort in terms of defense.They will need to play a bend don't break and take the yardage hits when we get them. I just don't think they have the mentality to stick with it, especially if we score on it early. I can see them quickly switching to applying pressure.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,432
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by TX9R:
One thing that gives me pause, Kaep has had limited success against good defenses. He simply hasn't seen many. ravens aren't what they were but they have woken up in the playoffs and any team that holds Brady to 13 points is a worry. Also legit running games have given us problems, which the Ravens have when they decide they want to. Not feeling as confident as IO was sunday night after looking at these things.

They do match up pretty well, on both sides of the ball, against us. As always, it'll be up to ours and their O-Line to determine the outcome of this game, methinks...

I, for one, am expecting a great game from both teams.

- 98
i think the football gods like vince lombardi would approve of this matchup, these teams and these coaches
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes but Keap has forced defenses into being reactionary because he has torched any defense that has tried to apply pressure and go with man on the back end.

I don't think BAL can play their comfort in terms of defense.They will need to play a bend don't break and take the yardage hits when we get them. I just don't think they have the mentality to stick with it, especially if we score on it early. I can see them quickly switching to applying pressure.

I'm hoping that those awful cross blitz stunts are off the menu. They still make me cringe.
I think that was one of the worst games I've ever seen the Patriots play. A third down pass hits Welker on the hands right in front of him and he drops it. How does that happen? Actually, I DON'T think the Ravens match up very well against this current Niner offense. I don't think they have a linebacker who can cover either Davis or Walker and I don't see them being able to double Crabtree consistently. And, as always, I don't see how they stop the Niners current version of the Pistol with the lead blocker. Better defenses than the Ravens have been totally unable to stop that set.
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between this thread and the Superbowl thread?!

The content seems exactly the same.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Fun fact: Joe's 74 yd pass (in the air) is the NFL Combine record for longest pass. Flacco was clocked at 58 mph. That's the speed it left his hand at. By the time it was caught on an out pattern, it was at 53 mph.



Kaepernick's best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri's Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama's Greg McElroy was injured). I couldn't find anything that said specifically how far he threw it...but physics being the same...air having the same resistance..football having the same size and weight...it should be safe to assume that Colin can throw it a little further. Not so much that it would make a difference though.

Not to mention the fact that the TD Kaep threw in New England to Crabtree over the middle clocked at 60.4 MPH on the gun...in the rain.

Don't believe me? Check out the 42 second mark.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BAwp0zO76E
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]