There are 44 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Offense -- The Pistol portion -- Explained by Chris Ault on NFLN

Originally posted by Furlow:
So what happens if Kaep gets hurt, or in 3-4 years when he slows down? Do we just draft another Kaepernick?
Does the shotgun get players hurt?
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave right now.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave right now.

No, Bill Walsh would be unbelievably excited to see the 49ers in the Super Bowl.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 874
Originally posted by Furlow:
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave right now.

Bill Walsh was all about innovation. That is exactly what is happening. If it was possible for him to move in the grave, I reckon he'd be smiling at the ingenuity of it all.

Steve Young got hurt more in the pocket than when he ran. His career ended in the pocket. So did Marino's. Same with Aikman. Montana too.

The 16 rush 181 Yard performance versus Green Bay was an anomaly. Kaep wasn't asked to run that many times, it's just how the game unfolded. Green Bay played the give-option absolutely horrible and CK made 'em pay. I don't expect him to be the second option as a rusher that often going forward when we get back Kendall Hunter and LMJ....

Our offense is all about taking what the defence gives us. Triple team VD, Crabtree burns you. Put 9 in the box, we play-action and kill you with seam routes. Total Man coverage, Kaep keeps it and picks up the first down. It's a thing of beauty.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,607
Originally posted by Furlow:
All QB's who run eventually get injured. The Pistol requires a running QB. This thread is about the Pistol.

According to Chris Ault, the creator of the the Pistol, the formation does NOT require a running QB.

Did you watch the interview?
Originally posted by Furlow:
So what happens if Kaep gets hurt, or in 3-4 years when he slows down? Do we just draft another Kaepernick?

You have to think every pee wee and high school football program will be implimenting the pistol formation.

There will be little Kaepernick wannabe's all across the country for years to come..
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave right now.

Bill Walsh was all about innovation. That is exactly what is happening. If it was possible for him to move in the grave, I reckon he'd be smiling at the ingenuity of it all.

Steve Young got hurt more in the pocket than when he ran. His career ended in the pocket. So did Marino's. Same with Aikman. Montana too.

The 16 rush 181 Yard performance versus Green Bay was an anomaly. Kaep wasn't asked to run that many times, it's just how the game unfolded. Green Bay played the give-option absolutely horrible and CK made 'em pay. I don't expect him to be the second option as a rusher that often going forward when we get back Kendall Hunter and LMJ....

Our offense is all about taking what the defence gives us. Triple team VD, Crabtree burns you. Put 9 in the box, we play-action and kill you with seam routes. Total Man coverage, Kaep keeps it and picks up the first down. It's a thing of beauty.

C H U R C H

[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Mangini and and Mike from Mike and Mike provided an interesting way to stop it. You know how a few times the DE was standing there staring at Kaep after the handoff? Well, Mangini said you don't have the DE make a read. You have him go full speed at the QB and hit him as hard as you can and completely ignore the hand-off to the RB.

You do that a few times and that QB's head coach will call it less in order to not put his QB in a position to get injured.

Mangini is right, that is a free hit on the QB and it would be legal considering the threat of the QB running.

So Mangini big way to stop the pistol is to sack the QB... He really is a genius!

I laughed. They can barely touch the guy, all 6'5" 230lbs of him, and some DE is going hit him all game long. Sure.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
I laughed. They can barely touch the guy, all 6'5" 230lbs of him, and some DE is going hit him all game long. Sure.

Well, that is the way to stop the read option, you beat the crap out of the quarterback until he can barely stand up.....and then teams have the crazy tendency to just not use it anymore.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave right now.


You are just bound and determined to NOT get it, aren't you?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Well, that is the way to stop the read option, you beat the crap out of the quarterback until he can barely stand up.....and then teams have the crazy tendency to just not use it anymore.

Greg Cosell mentioned that the unique thing about how the 49ers use the pistol is that they have two blockers in the backfield (plus the RB) or they motion Miller over to the strongside where Kap would run should he choose to keep on the read option. Miller then runs interference on the DE so that the DE cannot just crash down on Kap. Many times, Miller will just glance off the DE and get to the LB level. What Miller does serves two purposes. One is to prevent the DE from having a free run at Kap, the other is to make the DE "annoyed" that there's a blocker running at him while he's trying to figure out who has the ball. This slight hesitation from the DE is all that is needed to prevent this "just go smack the QB" idea.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Well, that is the way to stop the read option, you beat the crap out of the quarterback until he can barely stand up.....and then teams have the crazy tendency to just not use it anymore.


I can buy that if we were talking the pitch option, where the QB is running mostly laterally with the ball, waiting until that very last split-second to make the decision to keep or pitch, which often means a DE or LB is bearing down on him. So yeah, if that DE or LB has been designated as the QB killer regardless if there's a pitch, he's right there to make the hit.

But look at the Read Option as the 49ers have been running it from the Pistol...Kaepernick is making that decision to let the RB keep it or run it himself based on the first 1 or 2 or steps of the DE...very rarely is there someone "right there" ready to lay a lick on Kaepernick when he does give it to the RB. So that would mean a DE will have to, 1) be disciplined enough to not chase the RB that now has the ball and is trying to go around him, and, 2) take a couple extra steps to reach Kaepernick in order to hit him. In this day and age of football, do you think that just might draw a yellow hanky? And remember, it's the PISTOL, so the QB is getting the snap ~4 yds behind the LOS, which, again, is adding space between him and DE/LB.

I'm not saying the Ravens or some future team won't take this approach, but I do think it's easier said than done considering the formation itself and the rules of today's NFL.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Mangini and and Mike from Mike and Mike provided an interesting way to stop it. You know how a few times the DE was standing there staring at Kaep after the handoff? Well, Mangini said you don't have the DE make a read. You have him go full speed at the QB and hit him as hard as you can and completely ignore the hand-off to the RB.

You do that a few times and that QB's head coach will call it less in order to not put his QB in a position to get injured.

Mangini is right, that is a free hit on the QB and it would be legal considering the threat of the QB running.
and he is 100% correct, if each defender hits their man you stop the play from developing
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,880
Originally posted by jreff22:
and he is 100% correct, if each defender hits their man you stop the play from developing

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I can buy that if we were talking the pitch option, where the QB is running mostly laterally with the ball, waiting until that very last split-second to make the decision to keep or pitch, which often means a DE or LB is bearing down on him. So yeah, if that DE or LB has been designated as the QB killer regardless if there's a pitch, he's right there to make the hit.

But look at the Read Option as the 49ers have been running it from the Pistol...Kaepernick is making that decision to let the RB keep it or run it himself based on the first 1 or 2 or steps of the DE...very rarely is there someone "right there" ready to lay a lick on Kaepernick when he does give it to the RB. So that would mean a DE will have to, 1) be disciplined enough to not chase the RB that now has the ball and is trying to go around him, and, 2) take a couple extra steps to reach Kaepernick in order to hit him. In this day and age of football, do you think that just might draw a yellow hanky? And remember, it's the PISTOL, so the QB is getting the snap ~4 yds behind the LOS, which, again, is adding space between him and DE/LB.

I'm not saying the Ravens or some future team won't take this approach, but I do think it's easier said than done considering the formation itself and the rules of today's NFL.
That's agood point about the tactics of getting a hit on QB. There's no way an edge defender can lay a hit on the QB at option time....If they crash to the option point, then they're not an edge defender anymore because they are not penetrating perpendicular to the line of scrimmage, they are taking an insiade angle. One sidestep from Kap and it's off to the races. You would have to bring a blitz package of some kind and dedicate a defender to hitting the qb. Give the spy an agressive assignment and not float on the line. Pretty risky.