LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 322 users in the forums

NFC Championship Game: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

ROTFLMAO!!!!
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
KEGster, the ball was ripped out, Crabtree didn't fumble on his own, he had a lot of help from a great play by the defender.

I don't usually respond Marvin, but I always look forward to your posts and enjoy reading them, that debate last week you got sucked into was dumb. Keep up the good work.

Crabtree was holding the ball tight and to his body to protect it nothing more you could ask of him, The DB just did his job stripping the ball out ( and as you can see had a hell of a time getting it free) and the safety took away his last chance to recover by spearing him in the him. Good defensive play not really anything else.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Marvin,

Great post! I just signed up for NFL Game Rewind and I'm hopefully going to be watching a lot of replays of the next couple weeks.

RE: Cowboy. I'm curious about this as well. I just read a report that said, "Smith may not retire, he may play again next year." WHAT!? I just read something like a month ago where Smith said, "I think I have about 3-4 years left in me. After that, I don't think I'll be able to play at a high level anymore." I don't know if this arm injury has dramatically changed his plans or what, but him contemplating retirement sounds like it's sensationlism from the media. In fact, i'm 99% sure I read that 3-4 years quote in an article that was talking about his recovery from the arm injury, so I'm pretty sure he had already sustained it at that time.

RE: Kaep and the pistol option. If you guys really want to appreciate how effective it is, go and look at LaMichael James' 15-yard touchdown run yesterday. The outside linebacker and the defensive end are absolutely frozen in no-man's land, anticipating Kaep taking it himself. It's almost like they don't even care about James blowing by them! It's truly remarkable.

RE: Bowman coming up huge on the last play on defense. After watching the replay of that countless times, here's something that I think is being glossed over a little bit: after White finishes running 4-5 yards downfield and cuts and turns towards the middle of the field, Bowman engages in contact with him and drives him back upfield a yard or two. Even if White makes that catch, I think he is stopped from getting a first down.
As soon as he saw the safety coming, he should have taken a knee just like punt/kick returners do.

That's what defenders are instructed to do: stand up receivers and wait for help to come. He's lucky he didn't have his back broken. Not a risk needed with the way we were running. Spinning in front of safeties is asking for trouble

[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM ]
When you watch the play he was getting tackled and trying to hold onto the ball, like WR's, RB's and TE's do trying to cross the goal line, hes not a QB hes not going to slide for safety.
After three consecutive punts to start the game, Lee was never seen again. We went on 6 straight scoring drives:

TD run by James
TD pass to VD
TD run by Gore
FG Missed
Fumble at goaline
TD by Gore

That's how we finished. Amazing. We dominated them for 2.5 quarters and they dominated us for 1.5.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:
As soon as he saw the safety coming, he should have taken a knee just like punt/kick returners do.

That's what defenders are instructed to do: stand up receivers and wait for help to come. He's lucky he didn't have his back broken. Not a risk needed with the way we were running. Spinning in front of safeties is asking for trouble

Sorry man..I'm just not going to fault a guy for not taking a knee. This is football. He was trying to score and the DB made a great play. It happens.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
After three consecutive punts to start the game, Lee was never seen again. We went on 6 straight scoring drives:

TD run by James
TD pass to VD
TD run by Gore
FG Missed
Fumble at goaline
TD by Gore

That's how we finished. Amazing. We dominated them for 2.5 quarters and they dominated us for 1.5.

The Falcons were up 17-0 and the Niners could easily have won by 14.

Wow.

I think one more thing to add to the comment on the whole defense is the fact they held a team with 7 4th quarter comebacks this season to ZERO points the whole second half of the game.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

TD run by James
TD pass to VD
TD run by Gore
FG Missed
Fumble at goaline
TD by Gore

The Falcons were up 17-0 and the Niners could easily have won by 14.

Wow.

Yup, those were all long, grind em out, tough running, clutch 3rd down making, back breaking drives.

By the end of it, you could tell they had enough, on both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I think one more thing to add to the comment on the whole defense is the fact they held a team with 7 4th quarter comebacks this season to ZERO points the whole second half of the game.

Good Point.
I agree with the OP...Kaep is going to be something special. Glad you were able to say it in a way that didn't detract from Alex. I think Alex is a VERY GOOD qb...I just think canton better go ahead and start working on Colin's bust...
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
Marvin,

Great analysis as usual.

I agree on Kaep, his nerve is a big part of his play, he has that cool calm confidence that Montana did.

On the defense the whole Niner scheme relies on a strong pass rush from the front four, for the most part. I think the biggest part is Justin Smith's arm and Aldon Smith being tired. The turnovers forced are way down this season because the pass rush hasn't been as strong. I think for 2013 another couple of D line pass rushers will be drafted so there will be more rotation and keeping players fresh. I also would like to see Aldon Smith play a bit less on first down so he is stronger for the pass rush. This really helps the secondary. For the Super Bowl the extra week off should help, there is nothing to hold back on, let it all loose, any injuries will heal up in the off season. I expect a great game and a stronger pass rush in the Super Bowl.

the key to the Super Bowl could come down to Kaep versus a veteran experienced Ravens defense. This should be the most experienced D Kaep has faced. On the one hand kaep could exploit an aging defense with his running ability and all the other assets you mentioned. It could come down to which triumps--Kaeps many talents or a wily veteran defense.
Share 49ersWebzone