Great read as usual Marvin...thanks for doing these reviews. A couple of comments after some reflection--
1) Agree with Warner that the most surprising thing about Kaepernick has been the huge jump in reading defenses and making the right throw. We knew he could run and had a great arm but his touch and decision making is really getting to be first rate. I still worry about him getting tagged a few times and how that might impact his play, but he seems to be quick enough to avoid most hits and fast enough to elude even fast defenders. He may surpass all the young QBs and become the new state of the art QB for the NFL.
2) Crabtree played OK and I really don't/won't criticize him for the fumble. A DB put his hand behind the ball and pulled it out. As tight as MC was holding the ball it was a very good defensive play.
3) I wanted Gore, Alex Smith and Vernon to share in this super bowl journey together but no one deserves it more than Gore, so I'm happy for the guy. Has been a work horse and team leader sense his rookie year...he was bouncing off the walls after the game, interrupted CKs presser and just couldn't contain himself. Nice to see!
4) Pattern--never believed in it...just happened and no reason to believe it would continue.
5) Safeties--I am always torn between the missed assignments and the enforcer quality of these guys. It does seem that receivers start the games full of enthusiasm but end the game looking over their shoulders. Hard to put a value on hard hitting...as Ronnie Lott demonstrated years ago.
6) Aldon--I read that Justin Smith could bull rush and move the pocket with his injured arm but he was not able to move people laterally. That seems to be a key to Aldon's reduced stats. He and Justin can't stunt as they had been because the latter is limited in being able to help hold the edge or watch the flat. I would like to see them move Aldon around more flipping with Brooks and even lining him up at MLB with Willis moving over the right side. They need to change things up to confuse the offenses until Justin is totally healthy.
7) Still not sure how valuable the read option is except that CK plays it well, makes good fakes and is able to run when needed. As an element of the offense I like it.
8) See number 6. Justin will likely play at least another three years but I don't see him playing every down. They need to bring someone in to take some pressure off the guy.
9) I love Vernon Davis...even when I want to cut him for doing dumb things (personal penalties in playoff games last year).
10) Super Bowl--Been a fan of this team for more than 50 years and this year is as exciting as any. The first Super Bowl year was so unexpected that it sneaked up on me and I was much younger...would actually yell out loud at the TV. LOL! Now I will watch without yelling but with enormous satisfaction that the team is relevant again. Love the way these guys have been coached to play as a team.
11) The defense is really trying to find itself right now with J Smith playing with one arm. It really changes the aggression from the line, even though he can still crash forward and move the pocket. The amount of time Ryan had to pass was driving me crazy! The DBs seem to be playing up the the level of their coaches...or put another way, they are only playing as well as they are because they really have great coaching. That relieves my mind a bit when looking at the possibility of losing FAs next year. I have faith in Donatell and Fangio to have the same success with other DBs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM ]