There are 255 users in the forums

NaVorro Bowman has retired

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Am I the only one that's concerned that Bowman is set to play on turf in a meaningless game Sunday? I understand the curiosity of coaches wanting to see synergy between him and the other players, but this is a big risk in my opinion. They're going to hold Buckner out with a low ankle sprain, but let Bowman go after recovering from his achilles? Seems foolish to me as we all know (Unless your last name is Cohn) Bowman already knows his assignments and has nothing left to prove this preseason.

Thoughts...
Bow was honest saying he's not 100%. Understandable since it hasn't even been 1 year since he suffered the injury. The way he suffered the injury - non contact, change of direction - he needs to get over it mentally because that must be weighing on his mind. If the doctors say it's okay physically, then the only way to get over it mentally is to play on it.

I think the thought process is you try to let him close the gap as much as possible before the opener.

Then you take the handcuffs off and remember Ray-Ray is ready to go on the bench.

I dont think theres any other way to go about it. I love Bow but its about the team and am not here try to hang on to someone who was a big part of a previous winning culture.

Thats the cool part about not having crazy expectations cause then youre not trippin about every injury playing a role in making or breaking your year.

Exactly. Roll with everything we got and we'll see how things are next offseason. As great as Bowman was if he's lost a step or becomes average, not worth the huge contract.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Am I the only one that's concerned that Bowman is set to play on turf in a meaningless game Sunday? I understand the curiosity of coaches wanting to see synergy between him and the other players, but this is a big risk in my opinion. They're going to hold Buckner out with a low ankle sprain, but let Bowman go after recovering from his achilles? Seems foolish to me as we all know (Unless your last name is Cohn) Bowman already knows his assignments and has nothing left to prove this preseason.

Thoughts...
Bow was honest saying he's not 100%. Understandable since it hasn't even been 1 year since he suffered the injury. The way he suffered the injury - non contact, change of direction - he needs to get over it mentally because that must be weighing on his mind. If the doctors say it's okay physically, then the only way to get over it mentally is to play on it.

I think the thought process is you try to let him close the gap as much as possible before the opener.

Then you take the handcuffs off and remember Ray-Ray is ready to go on the bench.

I dont think theres any other way to go about it. I love Bow but its about the team and am not here try to hang on to someone who was a big part of a previous winning culture.

Thats the cool part about not having crazy expectations cause then youre not trippin about every injury playing a role in making or breaking your year.

Exactly. Roll with everything we got and we'll see how things are next offseason. As great as Bowman was if he's lost a step or becomes average, not worth the huge contract.

Soooo many more answers to unfold which is awesome

Thoughts...

I like this thinking. So Walshinian of this mentality. Wish more fans were this way instead of clinging onto for dear life to every player who made a great play.
Bowman being the big talk about his ability deteriorating. Still think he is way better than Ray Lewis' last season. Still hoping he gets back into gear after 3 games into the season like he eventually did from the knee injury. Looks like the reports on his reaction ability were correct...but then again, when you are playing next to a guy like Rueben Foster, man, he will make anyone look slow and lazy.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Thoughts...

I like this thinking. So Walshinian of this mentality. Wish more fans were this way instead of clinging onto for dear life to every player who made a great play.

You gotta look at ish from all angles no matter how much you want something to occur

Bowman being the big talk about his ability deteriorating. Still think he is way better than Ray Lewis' last season. Still hoping he gets back into gear after 3 games into the season like he eventually did from the knee injury. Looks like the reports on his reaction ability were correct...but then again, when you are playing next to a guy like Rueben Foster, man, he will make anyone look slow and lazy.

We need Bow for 1st and 2nd downs... Money aside if hes forcing Ds in long 3rd downs im happy.

Bow knows the deal, he forced PWilly out of dime.
Im liking Tartt as the nickel Will if he can grow further, and i already got love for Ray-Ray lol.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good post. lewis of course did win a super bowl at the end,. but thats only because the dc at the time decided with brooks smith and smith hurt it would be nice to have bowman and willis who were at the top of their game at the time set around playing checkers in pass coverage. and then you had a retarded oc enabled by a head coach who thought it would be nice to try to pass the ball on second and goal from the five even after stupid little james got two yards against a run stop defense and they had a well rested dixon and gore behind at the time the best run blocking line in the nfl . but i am not bitter
Originally posted by cciowa:
good post. lewis of course did win a super bowl at the end,. but thats only because the dc at the time decided with brooks smith and smith hurt it would be nice to have bowman and willis who were at the top of their game at the time set around playing checkers in pass coverage. and then you had a retarded oc enabled by a head coach who thought it would be nice to try to pass the ball on second and goal from the five even after stupid little james got two yards against a run stop defense and they had a well rested dixon and gore behind at the time the best run blocking line in the nfl . but i am not bitter

Run on sentence of the year
You gotta look at ish from all angles no matter how much you want something to occur

We need Bow for 1st and 2nd downs... Money aside if hes forcing Ds in long 3rd downs im happy.

Bow knows the deal, he forced PWilly out of dime.
Im liking Tartt as the nickel Will if he can grow further, and i already got love for Ray-Ray lol.

Agree with you Smoke, I think Tartt earned that role and apparently Saleh wants him on the field too
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if bow's knee and whatever the fk else is wrong with him, are back to 100%, there is no better LB in the league.

sadly, i don't think he'll ever be back to 100%.

he wont.

Run on sentence of the year

Almost as if Jim got cocky and let his bro win one.

That last sequence of plays at the goal line was a complete s**t-show.

I hope Bowman improves throughout the season. Once the pads hit and he feels confident I think we will see that speed increase. A good thing is with Foster looking sick on defense -Bowman at even 80% isn't a bad thing here. I'd argue at 80% hes still one of the better LB in the league.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I hope Bowman improves throughout the season. Once the pads hit and he feels confident I think we will see that speed increase. A good thing is with Foster looking sick on defense -Bowman at even 80% isn't a bad thing here. I'd argue at 80% hes still one of the better LB in the league.

the pads have hit. he's done.

wait you're telling me we LOST a SB????
  • jcs
  • Veteran

The issue isn't if an 80% permanent Bow is still good enough to play or not but if he can justify the nearly 10 million he's getting paid. His extension was another Baalke and Paraage goof.
Share 49ersWebzone