There are 250 users in the forums

NaVorro Bowman has retired

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I thought Bow was looking good. What is this talk about him not being 100% again?

Watching him collapse while trying to change direction is something you'd never see befor the knee injury. If you can't see the difference, you weren't paying attention pre-injury.

When did he collapse while trying to change directions? If you're talking about his Achilles injury you think that injury happened because of a knee injury from two yrs ago?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
What's this talk he may not fit 4-3 new scheme

Lynch said he has only played in a 3-4 since being in the NFL (even though he played in a 4-3 in college). The issue is he's gonna have to cover more...before his injury this past yr he was top 15 in coverage among all LBers.

If he's recovered from the Achilles then he will be fine....I look at Derrick Johnson who tore his Achilles (at 31) and came back and had a pro-bowl yr the following season.
Wasnt a full tear is my guess... No way in hell he came back within 5 months.

I think theyre gonna wanna show case him with the possibility if trading if theres a good offer out there.
Originally posted by NCommand:
if bow's knee and whatever the fk else is wrong with him, are back to 100%, there is no better LB in the league.

sadly, i don't think he'll ever be back to 100%.

Agreed... and I so hope you're wrong about the second part (but mentality/emotionally preparing either way).

You guys are being dramatic. it takes a couple years to come back from these things. He';ll be 60 - 80% this year, 95% next year.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
if bow's knee and whatever the fk else is wrong with him, are back to 100%, there is no better LB in the league.

sadly, i don't think he'll ever be back to 100%.

Agreed... and I so hope you're wrong about the second part (but mentality/emotionally preparing either way).

You guys are being dramatic. it takes a couple years to come back from these things. He';ll be 60 - 80% this year, 95% next year.

Which is why he's up against real competition for the first time in his career. I suspect he'll be competing with Malcolm Smith at the MIKE...whoever can call the defense the best and whoever can cover the best, wins. Bowman, after knee reconstruction and an achilles, is going to have to prove he's got that athletic ability to cover a lot of real estate now in this 4-3.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:47 AM ]
Which is why he's up against real competition for the first time in his career. I suspect he'll be competing with Malcolm Smith at the MIKE...whoever can call the defense the best and whoever can cover the best, wins. Bowman, after knee reconstruction and an achilles, is going to have to prove he's got that athletic ability to cover a lot of real estate now in this 4-3.

Fair enough concerns.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Fair enough concerns.

This is Cohn but there might be some truth within it as well. That doesn't imply another ILB would have done better but I had noted, based on his own comments, I think it's heading this direction.

ILB NaVorro Bowman. Bowman is hesitant to plant and drive when he's playing man-to-man coverage, so he gives up big-time separation. Today, he got burned by George Kittle, who ran a simple out route. Bowman looked as if he was stuck in mud. If Bowman wins a starting job during the preseason – no guarantee – I imagine the Niners would not use him during passing downs. They probably would platoon him with someone who's better in coverage.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hope Bow bounces back, those Achilles are a motherf**ker.
If Bowman wins a starting job during the preseason – no guarantee – I imagine the Niners would not use him during passing downs. They probably would platoon him with someone who's better in coverage.

I don't understand that logic. If you're an OC, why not throw at Bowman from base personnel? If Bowman is going to win the job, he's going to prove he can play on every down.

Rotating players at the M/W spots is a bad idea, IMO. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright never come off the field. Everything in this defense works from the inside out. The FS and those 2 inside LBs are integral to the scheme's execution.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jul 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
If Bowman wins a starting job during the preseason – no guarantee – I imagine the Niners would not use him during passing downs. They probably would platoon him with someone who's better in coverage.

I don't understand that logic. If you're an OC, why not throw at Bowman from base personnel? If Bowman is going to win the job, he's going to prove he can play on every down.

Rotating players at the M/W spots is a bad idea, IMO. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright never come off the field. Everything in this defense works from the inside out. The FS and those 2 inside LBs are integral to the scheme's execution.

I know, I know, I know.

That said, the SS next to him may be able to help out in that role. Yesterday we heard Kittle split out wide and who followed him? Reid. So perhaps, Saleh can leverage his down hill run defense and, sideline to sideline and play recognition and leadership by utilizing Reid to help take that off his plate some. Scheme.

It's way too early too...Kittle has been beating everyone and we don't know if he had underneath coverage and it was the FS tasked to pick him up from there... and Cohn is very biased and dramatic.

The things Grant Cohn doesn't want you to know:

#Agenda

#Agenda

Lol funny AF. Hero I highly doubt wed rotate LBs in base/nickel of course with longer drives being the exception.

Also, another reason if Cohn actually did observe something along those lines... I can easily see Bowman using TC to figure out how much you can get away with. Hell adjust as he needs to.
Its no guarantee he has a spot in nickel so im not tripping.

God really did give us a gift in Foster.. That lets me sleep easy-ER . Ray-Ray is always worthy of a shout out as well.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM ]
Bump for the leader of our defense..the only current player whose jersey I own
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Bump for the leader of our defense..the only current player whose jersey I own

"He's a man. Have you SEEN his arms?" ~ Foster on Bowman
Share 49ersWebzone