LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

NaVorro Bowman has retired

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if bow's knee and whatever the fk else is wrong with him, are back to 100%, there is no better LB in the league.

sadly, i don't think he'll ever be back to 100%.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
If John is serious about a competition there, whomever covers best may have the upper hand given how much we expect to be in nickel in this passing league. Remember, that's how Ray-Ray won the job last year...speed, closing ability and coverage skills (former SS).

I think you hit it. Coverage skills is where they will start separating each other. I have a feeling with Fosters young legs and recovering shoulder he may be ask to cover more to minimize impact from trench tackling.

Yeah, the WILL, by virtue of the position, will be in coverage a lot as well. These are the two positions the Patriots and Kyle exposed in the passing game (against Seattle) with short-area quick WR's and TE's.

Both will have to be studs in route recognition and sticky in coverage or we'll be exposed badly in that intermediate zone again...flash back to the Steelers game with Mangini at the helm.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 29, 2017 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if bow's knee and whatever the fk else is wrong with him, are back to 100%, there is no better LB in the league.

Agreed... and I so hope you're wrong about the second part (but mentality/emotionally preparing either way).

Agreed... and I so hope you're wrong about the second part (but mentality/emotionally preparing either way).

I hope he comes back a 100%...but I am preparing myself too. It's easy to say next man up if it is a player with an attitude,or off field issues, or that didn't do their best, or give it all. But for players like Bowman? It freaking kills me when "it may be that time" starts creeping into the conversation.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Jun 30, 2017 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:

I hope he comes back a 100%...but I am preparing myself too. It's easy to say next man up if it is a player with an attitude,or off field issues, or that didn't do their best, or give it all. But for players like Bowman? It freaking kills me when "it may be that time" starts creeping into the conversation.

For real...he's my favorite person on the team and I don't want to lose him the same way we lost Willis and Justin...not this early.
We have way too much cap space to justify cutting Bowman, even if he doesn't start right away. Players get hurt and we still aren't sure Foster will be ready to compete.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought Bow was looking good. What is this talk about him not being 100% again?
Originally posted by mayo49:
I thought Bow was looking good. What is this talk about him not being 100% again?

There is no talk...outside of Cohn's crap from a while ago.

Before his Achilles injury he was the 15th overall LB in coverage according to PFF (11th overall).
Bows the type of dude that lives for doubters.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 2, 2017 at 9:35 PM ]

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Oh yeah he stated he WILL NOT be sitting on the sidelines come game day.

He's got to go out there and prove he's ready to roll...I'm glad they aren't gonna baby him this preseason.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Oh yeah he stated he WILL NOT be sitting on the sidelines come game day.

He's got to go out there and prove he's ready to roll...I'm glad they aren't gonna baby him this preseason.

Agreed and he's probably right...he probably won't be the one sitting on the pine.
Yeah, like others, i hate to see the sentiment of guys (not mentioning anyone's name here but he is a pizz ant writer and a bad one at that....has an alternate handle of "Click bait") who have thrown in the towel on Bow. Maybe he lost half a step in coverage...maybe not. But one thing he remains non-pariel at , and that is instinct. Bow's instinct will have him at the point of attack just like always. And this deal about riding the pine...b.s. He's here, he plays, and he will beat out any challenger.

Agree wiht NC that we lost both P-52 and Cowboy early and that truly hurt us. Losing one was bad enough, but losing two? Catastrophic. And that's the way it looked on the field.

It took a major league shake up to get us back on track, but looking at our front 7, nobody can say we aren't heading in the right direction. Just how good? We'll know sometime in Sept, but right now, one would have to say things look good. New ,young, talented, hard working, full on young guys, who are destined to be our new leaders will be recognized this yr, and from here in the cheap seats, we couldn't have done better. Solomon is the one who will end up leading us. But there are others too. DeFo is marked for leadership, AA, Dooms...and dare i say it, as Joe gets older, Trenton makes his mark as the O leader. One day our Qb will do that , but for now, it comes from Joe on O, and Trenton ready to step in when Joe finally decides to hang 'em up. Trenton has learned much from Joe, who has helped him along. The leadership thing Trenton will assume in a couple yr on the OL, but not until he learns more from Joe first.

Seeing our guys, Solly, AA, DeFo, blair, dooms.....Trenton...out there at specialized camps fot the best of the best...has to make fans feel both proud and good about what is coming down th pike. How much of this is due to new leaders, Kyle and john? Not sure, but if it were tomsul out there, do you think we woudl have had all the above at specialized clinics of the best players in the NFL? No, we wouldn't. So kyle ..and john being here has helped out early on. Don't think other NFL all pros don't know the best OC in the NFL is now here. And same goes for the former SB winning 8 or 9 time all pro at GM. Other guys know. What's more, those two guys are going to be terrific drawing cards for talent from other teams now wanting to come to the former armpit of the league since about 2000 on...with the slight hiatus of harbaw's first two yrs here.

As for Bow, he just benefits from all the above as suddenly he is surrounded by really fine talent, instead of being the D all by himself. I look for Bow to have a great yr this yr, and just hope the surgeries don't hold him back....that would be sad.
What's this talk he may not fit 4-3 new scheme
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:

Watching him collapse while trying to change direction is something you'd never see befor the knee injury. If you can't see the difference, you weren't paying attention pre-injury.
Share 49ersWebzone