There are 197 users in the forums

NaVorro Bowman has retired

Shop Find 49ers gear online
John Lynch:

"I've been a great admirer of NaVorro from afar during my broadcast duties. He's come back from two injuries that are very hard to come back from. We've been pleasantly surprised with the way he's moving around out here.

"I always remembered NaVorro as a 3-4 linebacker, who is at his best when he's blitzing the quarterback. Not that those things aren't a part of this scheme, but we're going to ask him to back up in zone coverage and then go attack. He's making a strong case for himself by the way he's working out and leading. That's going to be a really competitive position.

"NaVorro is having a great offseason, and he's got to continue that. In the preseason, we expect to play him. … We need to see what we have as a team, and NaVorro is a part of that."

The big question is, who's going to be competing with him?
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
John Lynch:

"I've been a great admirer of NaVorro from afar during my broadcast duties. He's come back from two injuries that are very hard to come back from. We've been pleasantly surprised with the way he's moving around out here.

"I always remembered NaVorro as a 3-4 linebacker, who is at his best when he's blitzing the quarterback. Not that those things aren't a part of this scheme, but we're going to ask him to back up in zone coverage and then go attack. He's making a strong case for himself by the way he's working out and leading. That's going to be a really competitive position.

"NaVorro is having a great offseason, and he's got to continue that. In the preseason, we expect to play him. … We need to see what we have as a team, and NaVorro is a part of that."

The big question is, who's going to be competing with him?

My guess is Malcolm Smith. I think Lynch is getting the message across that everyone needs to compete for snaps, even a healthy Bow. Snaps will not be handed to a player just because of contract or experience.
Yeah, it has to be Malcolm Smith.
^^^ Agreed you two.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Discussed this in the John Lynch thread:

John Lynch sounded ambivalent and noncommittal about Bowman's fit in this defense. I got the vibe that he was priming us for a possible Bowman release/trade.

Where was that from? Wasn't he just saying on some interview from yesterday Bow won't be limited by anything when TC starts? That doesn't sound ambivalent to me.

Clarification, I misquoted Lynch. What he actually said was they don't plan on holding Bowman out of preseason games, he'll actually play whatever that amounts to. Not like some veteran guys who don't play a single snap in exhibition. Bow ain't goin' anywhere.
^^^ Agreed you two.

Yeah probably cause he has a heads up on the system.

What do we do in nickel. Rotate Foster/Smith/Bow?.. You know I'm thinking Ray-Ray is getting the short end of the stick. And due to the log jam, I hate to say his name, I think this is why Grant threw out there Bow can be gone cause Smith knows the system and was just signed, Foster is a 1st rounded, and Ray-Ray is super cheap and coming onto his own as a LB IMO.

Who do y'all think is the best cover LB right now. If I'm Saleh, I try to groom Ray-Ray to start at Dime backer. Feel like he's the best cover LB at this moment.
Nothing changes in nickel in regards to the mike and will. Whoever wins the starting job at those spots is going to be on the field at all times.

The dime/money/big nickel linebacker in this defense is the strong safety. Once the sam position is essentially eliminated in nickel, the strong safety typically assumes the sam's coverage responsibility(which in this defense is typically in a cover 3 sky or cover 3 buzz coverage). This is why Kam Chancellor was often on Vernon or picked off Kap in the flat in the NFCC.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM ]
Nothing changes in nickel in regards to the mike and will. Whoever wins the starting job at those spots is going to be on the field at all times.

The dime/money/big nickel linebacker in this defense is the strong safety. Once the sam position is essentially eliminated in nickel, the strong safety assumes the sam's coverage responsibility(which in this defense is typically in a cover 3 sky or cover 3 buzz coverage). This is why Kam Chancellor was often on Vernon or picked off Kap in the flat in the NFCC.

So what're you saying... that you don't need as much of a cover guy as your dime LB?

I have thought about Tartt as the dime LB too. Think Ray-Ray fits the mold a lil better in case it's a run/screen.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
^^^ Agreed you two.

What do we do in nickel. Rotate Foster/Smith/Bow?.. You know I'm thinking Ray-Ray is getting the short end of the stick. And due to the log jam, I hate to say his name, I think this is why Grant threw out there Bow can be gone cause Smith knows the system and was just signed, Foster is a 1st rounded, and Ray-Ray is super cheap and coming onto his own as a LB IMO.

Who do y'all think is the best cover LB right now. If I'm Saleh, I try to groom Ray-Ray to start at Dime backer. Feel like he's the best cover LB at this moment.

If John is serious about a competition there, whomever covers best may have the upper hand given how much we expect to be in nickel in this passing league. Remember, that's how Ray-Ray won the job last year...speed, closing ability and coverage skills (former SS).
^^^ Agreed you two.

If John is serious about a competition there, whomever covers best may have the upper hand given how much we expect to be in nickel in this passing league. Remember, that's how Ray-Ray won the job last year...speed, closing ability and coverage skills (former SS).

Exactly. That's why I can't sleep on him and said over a month ago I'd trade Smith if I could cause when Foster and Ray-Ray get the system down they could be right there if not offer a lil more versatility than Smith..but Smith is at home in this system so no surprise from good reports.

So what're you saying... that you don't need as much of a cover guy as your dime LB?

I have thought about Tartt as the dime LB too. Think Ray-Ray fits the mold a lil better in case it's a run/screen.

What I saying is that there is no dime LB. For example, if Bowman and Foster win the starting jobs, they're going to be on the field at all times.

In this defense, the SS is more of a true off-ball LB than the SAM is. He's going to play a lot of hook/curl and curl/flat.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM ]

What I saying is that there is no dime LB. For example, if Bowman and Foster win the starting jobs, they're going to be on the field at all times.

In this defense, the SS is more of a true off-ball LB than the SAM is. He's going to play a lot of hook/curl and curl/flat.

So are you bringing up Reid some, having Ward playing single high and have 5 DBs on the field with 4 DL?
Yes, that is correct. That's a big reason why there is such an emphasis on having athletic LBs and why Bowman's job might be in jeopardy.

I believe I read Seattle and Atlanta were in a dime package for less than 5 snaps in 2016, so don't expect to see much dime. No need for extra DB when you've got athletes all over the field.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:13 PM ]
Yes, that is correct. That's a big reason why there is such an emphasis on having athletic LBs and why Bowman's job might be in jeopardy.

I believe I read Seattle and Atlanta were in a dime package for less than 5 snaps in 2016, so don't expect to see much dime. No need for extra DB when you've got athletes all over the field.

I thought in the Dime package traditionally you still have a LB for say a RB/Spy/Guard middle of the field.. ofcourse I have heard using a robber which would be someone in the mold of Tartt/Ray-Ray. But say in 4 WR,1 RB set i figure Bow since he's so elite at play recognition would have no issues. With that being said I can still and easily see others flashing in the role to beat out Bow. But your definition of dime means no LB at all and all DBs(Don't mean your as in you're creating your own packages lol).

Good to know that Carroll/Quinn hardly use Dime. But In 4 WR sets, you have to don't you? I don't want Reid guarding a slot WR.
Unless you want to stay in Nickel and sub out the SS for a CB, and you rush 4 DL&1LB,leaving 1 LB to cover the RB.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 29, 2017 at 2:33 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran

I think you hit it. Coverage skills is where they will start separating each other. I have a feeling with Fosters young legs and recovering shoulder he may be ask to cover more to minimize impact from trench tackling.
Share 49ersWebzone