There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by boast:
Craig's fumble.

it ruined our chance for an opportunity at an NFL-first Threepeat.

i'm still bitter about that loss.

The 49ers' darkest hour.
not even close to the super bowl this year,, especially when the coaches never gave the players a chance to win the game

stop blaming the coaches...the players should have executed

Both failed.
Originally posted by cciowa:
not even close to the super bowl this year,, especially when the coaches never gave the players a chance to win the game

I'm one who's not afraid to blame the referees for that one. I know blaming them doesn't bring the trophy to SF, but I think the players & coaches did enough to win that game & just got screwed like the Seahawks were in SB XL and the Cardinals were to a lesser extent in SB XLIII. It's sports; this happens. It'll make revenge all that much sweeter when the Niners beat the Ravens in a Harbowl rematch next year!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,593
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'm one who's not afraid to blame the referees for that one. I know blaming them doesn't bring the trophy to SF, but I think the players & coaches did enough to win that game & just got screwed like the Seahawks were in SB XL and the Cardinals were to a lesser extent in SB XLIII. It's sports; this happens. It'll make revenge all that much sweeter when the Niners beat the Ravens in a Harbowl rematch next year!

1. the defense did nothing to win that game
2. the special ed teams did nothing to win that game
3 our overall poor play on offense early did nothing to win that game
4 and when you have second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl and you choose not to do what the team does best,,,,, the coaches did nothing to win that game
i believe ck and gore put that team on their back in the second half, no thanks to roman and I believe it is criminal to use a back like gore who had just ripped off a big run to set around playing f**king checkers as a decoy,,, it is also criminal to have two pro bowl linebackers setting around playing f**king checkers in pass coverage when you should have brought them with pressure once in a while instead of allowing the ravens quarterback to pick apart our keystone cops secondary that day
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,593
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Both failed.

I think its comical the way some people have to carry the water for the coaches and act like they are beyond and above critical review in the biggest game of the season
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Both failed.

I think its comical the way some people have to carry the water for the coaches and act like they are beyond and above critical review in the biggest game of the season
sorta like the refs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,593
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
sorta like the refs
never denied mistakes were not made. but to say we should not dare be critical of the coaches for decisions made , plays not called on time on the biggest stage in the world in a game we may never get back to is illogical. I just do not happen to fall into the little group on the grassy knoll who contend the refs were "out to get us" in every loss we had this year including the super bowl. that is laughable
Craig's fumble
Minnesota game was the toughest for me, Carter broke out and just caught everything with some astounding plays - he single handedly won that and I really thought we'd have won the Superbowl that year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
sorta like the refs
never denied mistakes were not made. but to say we should not dare be critical of the coaches for decisions made , plays not called on time on the biggest stage in the world in a game we may never get back to is illogical. I just do not happen to fall into the little group on the grassy knoll who contend the refs were "out to get us" in every loss we had this year including the super bowl. that is laughable

What ever was the refs agenda ...some calls weren't made. To blame the coach just cause of the play didn't work is not the coaches fault either.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Both failed.

I think its comical the way some people have to carry the water for the coaches and act like they are beyond and above critical review in the biggest game of the season

I think it's comical the way some people seem to need to defend the refs even though it was one of the worst ref'd games by one of the least experienced refing groups ever in a Super Bowl. Even before the game, other refs in the league were complaining about the group they picked to run the game. Yet some people around here just need to keep repeating "don't blame the refs" as if that's some sort of fundamental rule. B.S. the refs have been responsible for lots of mistakes over the years. People have been talking about that '83 Championship game in DC that pissed Walsh off so much he started lobbying for instant replay. And, the Seahawks were actually awarded a win on one of the most absurd calls I can remember in decades of watching the game.

Of course you can blame the refs. I think it's a personality defect of some kind related to blind obedience to authority to believe you can't.
As much as the SuperBowl loss hurt part of me knew winning this game was unlikely. They were facing a Ravens team who came in on FIRE after beating a good colts team and on the road beating Denver who had won 11 in a row and then demolishing the Patriots at Foxborough. Niners came into the game not so hot beating a Packers team who had a defensive meltdown and beating Atlanta who only decided to show up for the 1st half. The Niners were not clicking on all phases of the game. The niners were asleep for the first 3 and half quarters of the SuperBowl on offense and especially on defense. The fact they showed the heart and pride to not roll over and fight until the last play and make it a close game made me so proud of them even though I was upset by the loss. The Niners lost the game i know it sucks but I am so happy to know there the best team in the NFL and will dominate the NFL for the next few years.
Originally posted by cciowa:
1. the defense did nothing to win that game
2. the special ed teams did nothing to win that game
3 our overall poor play on offense early did nothing to win that game
4 and when you have second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl and you choose not to do what the team does best,,,,, the coaches did nothing to win that game
i believe ck and gore put that team on their back in the second half, no thanks to roman and I believe it is criminal to use a back like gore who had just ripped off a big run to set around playing f**king checkers as a decoy,,, it is also criminal to have two pro bowl linebackers setting around playing f**king checkers in pass coverage when you should have brought them with pressure once in a while instead of allowing the ravens quarterback to pick apart our keystone cops secondary that day

That's all well & good, but that doesn't change the fact that the ref's gave the Ravens just enough of a gift to win the game. Justin Smith ejected for this:
And Cary Williams NOT ejected for THIS?
Hmmmm I just signed up to post here, so I'm having trouble figuring out how to post videos & gifs. Let's just say Justin Smith's ejection was basically removing a ref's hand from his jersey, and Williams shoved the referee like 5 feet with a running start. That's all you have to know.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,593
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think it's comical the way some people seem to need to defend the refs even though it was one of the worst ref'd games by one of the least experienced refing groups ever in a Super Bowl. Even before the game, other refs in the league were complaining about the group they picked to run the game. Yet some people around here just need to keep repeating "don't blame the refs" as if that's some sort of fundamental rule. B.S. the refs have been responsible for lots of mistakes over the years. People have been talking about that '83 Championship game in DC that pissed Walsh off so much he started lobbying for instant replay. And, the Seahawks were actually awarded a win on one of the most absurd calls I can remember in decades of watching the game.

Of course you can blame the refs. I think it's a personality defect of some kind related to blind obedience to authority to believe you can't.
when you blame the refs for a loss you are usually in denial that the players themselves were responsible. many people allow their blind loyalty to certain coaches and even their own team cloud their judgement. The coaches and players need to be held accountable for their poor play in large chunks of that game but if it makes you feel better to just blame the refs, knock yourself out. I think I recall saying those two games you made reference to were directly affected by refs but again, in my opinion those are two games in a million that go that way.
1990 - the fumble was the most painful thing ever - a sickening feeling. Poor Craig - I'd bet that haunts him to this day.
Originally posted by cciowa:
1. the defense did nothing to win that game
2. the special ed teams did nothing to win that game
3 our overall poor play on offense early did nothing to win that game
4 and when you have second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl and you choose not to do what the team does best,,,,, the coaches did nothing to win that game
i believe ck and gore put that team on their back in the second half, no thanks to roman and I believe it is criminal to use a back like gore who had just ripped off a big run to set around playing f**king checkers as a decoy,,, it is also criminal to have two pro bowl linebackers setting around playing f**king checkers in pass coverage when you should have brought them with pressure once in a while instead of allowing the ravens quarterback to pick apart our keystone cops secondary that day

I agree with all the above EXCEPT:

1. the defense did nothing to win that game - TO ME, THIS WAS COACHING BECAUSE THE SCHEME SEEMED FLAWED. THE COVERAGE WAS CONFUSED EARLY AND OFTEN - WHICH MEANS THERE WASN'T A CLEAR SCHEME COACHED UP.

2. the special ed teams did nothing to win that game - THE ST WERE OKAY -THE RAVENS RUN BACK WAS DUE TO A BLATANT AND FLAGRANT DOUBLE HOLDING OF MILLER. TWO RAVENS WRAPPED HIM UP AN NEARLY TACKLED HIM. IT IS CRIMINAL THIS WASN'T CALLED BECAUSE IT APPEARED TO BE IN THE CLEAR LINE OF SIGHT OF THE REF.

The PIs - well they are tough to call because I advocate the "let em play" philosophy to not call minor and ticky tack penalties. IMHO the PI was minor and the pass uncatchable anyway.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Jun 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM ]