LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

For me it was 2011 because they went from the erricson/nolan/singletary years of being terrible to all of a sudden being back in the NFC Championship. The 8 year post season drought to being back in the NFC Championship was such a huge build up for it all of a sudden come crashing down on a overtime fumble was so hard to deal with.
[ Edited by Raul98 on May 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Craig's fumble.

it ruined our chance for an opportunity at an NFL-first Threepeat.

i'm still bitter about that loss.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The best run blocking team in the NFL got stopped on first down, There's no guarantee that if we run we score..and every arm chair QB will always say why didn't we do this when it doesn't work the first time.
wrong wrong wrong.... the ravens were stacked to the max to stop the run on first down. little james got two yards even against that run stacked defense... are you going to set there with a straight face and tell me,, if little james got two yards,,, some sort of combo of ck/dixon and gore,, could not have gotten the last five ?? really,,,, are you really going to say that
Originally posted by cciowa:
The best run blocking team in the NFL got stopped on first down, There's no guarantee that if we run we score..and every arm chair QB will always say why didn't we do this when it doesn't work the first time.
wrong wrong wrong.... the ravens were stacked to the max to stop the run on first down. little james got two yards even against that run stacked defense... are you going to set there with a straight face and tell me,, if little james got two yards,,, some sort of combo of ck/dixon and gore,, could not have gotten the last five ?? really,,,, are you really going to say that

are you going to act like they have been doing that all season and prior seasons?

do you remember how many times we came up short trying to convert 3rd downs against lesser teams ?

Crabtree was the hot hand so they went with it
34 Ravens points. Ravens scored 34 points. Niners defense and special teams gave up 34 points. If Joe Montana's defenses had done that, he'd be 1-3 in Super Bowls. Can we just stop talking about that pathetic last set of downs and move on. It was the defense that lost the last Super Bowl and I would bet ever player on the Niner defense knows that and there is absolutely no doubt in their minds.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
34 Ravens points. Ravens scored 34 points. Niners defense and special teams gave up 34 points. If Joe Montana's defenses had done that, he'd be 1-3 in Super Bowls. Can we just stop talking about that pathetic last set of downs and move on. It was the defense that lost the last Super Bowl and I would bet ever player on the Niner defense knows that and there is absolutely no doubt in their minds.

This. Over the past 2 years, only in last year's game in Seattle did the opposing team score more points.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
are you going to act like they have been doing that all season and prior seasons?

do you remember how many times we came up short trying to convert 3rd downs against lesser teams ?

Crabtree was the hot hand so they went with it
we will never meet halfway on this and thats ok. i maintain the best chance to win the game was to go to what we do best. you can not dispute we had the best run game and run blocking line in the nfl at that time. it is criminal not to even give gore a chance. He just busted off a big run so you can argue he had the hot had after he took a play off. not to even allow gore the chance to try to win the super bowl is beyond insane in my opinion
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I've been blessed enough to be around for everyone of those losses..."they all cut pretty badly..none more then last years SB loss though. That said, the worst for me was...Craigs fumble.. those niners teams were so dominate, graceful , sharp ,and vicious. It was watching Walsh orchestrate a live chess match against inferior opponents ..most of the time. No one could beat them but themselves basically..and Craig did just that..took awhile to get over that, We would have held a higher position in football legend then the Miami Dolphins undefeated season with a first time 3-peat...IMHO
There have been some pretty brutal playoff losses over the years that people kind of forget. That 49-3 thrashing in New York where they sent Montana to the hospital comes to mind. And Garrison Hurst getting injured on the first set of downs in Atlanta - horrible. 1987 stunned a huge room full of fans that I was with - how do you have the #1 defense and the #1 offense in the league and get knocked out in the divisional playoff by a wildcard team? And then to get sent home what seemed like year after year by the Cowboys and then the Packers - depressing. But, I always reminded myself that most fans never even got the chance to be taken that high only to be disappointed.

And then there were the real old days - how about being 11 points up on the Cowboys with 1:50 left in the game with a chance to go to your first Super Bowl and losing anyway. That'll keep you up at night.
[ Edited by GNielsen on May 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

This. Over the past 2 years, only in last year's game in Seattle did the opposing team score more points.

Yup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we are the 1st team to score 30+ points and LOSE the SB. It was a pathetic performance from the defense and special teams.

I'm sure it's been said.. but I was 7 when the 49ers won their last Super Bowl and really didn't appreciate/recognize the defeats against Green Bay either.

As a now-appreciative fan with my main fandom being the horrible years since ~2003 til present, 2011 was pretty bad. First time I'd seen success and really APPRECIATED the taste of the post season was 2011 and those TOs were just
Originally posted by boast:
Craig's fumble.

The 49ers' darkest hour.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
There have been some pretty brutal playoff losses over the years that people kind of forget. That 49-3 thrashing in New York where they sent Montana to the hospital comes to mind. And Garrison Hurst getting injured on the first set of downs in Atlanta - horrible. 1987 stunned a huge room full of fans that I was with - how do you have the #1 defense and the #1 offense in the league and get knocked out in the divisional playoff by a wildcard team? And then to get sent home what seemed like year after year by the Cowboys and then the Packers - depressing. But, I always reminded myself that most fans never even got the chance to be taken that high only to be disappointed.

And then there were the real old days - how about being 11 points up on the Cowboys with 1:50 left in the game with a chance to go to your first Super Bowl and losing anyway. That'll keep you up at night.

the 1973 or 72 loss you spoke of to the cowboys really hurt. The funny thing is the week before brodie came off the bench with his injured ankle to replace spurrier and lead us to a thrilling come from behind win over the vikings only to blow that fourth quarter lead we had vs the cowboys.. that was horrid to see cuz we just pissed down our legs vs f**king staubach
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Craig's fumble.

The 49ers' darkest hour.
not even close to the super bowl this year,, especially when the coaches never gave the players a chance to win the game
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Craig's fumble.

The 49ers' darkest hour.
not even close to the super bowl this year,, especially when the coaches never gave the players a chance to win the game

stop blaming the coaches...the players should have executed
Share 49ersWebzone