LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Nothing even compares to what we just went through this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
blaming the refs is the reason why people call us the whiners. get real, if we would have taken care of what we can control and if the coaches would have allowed the team to win the game at the end you would not be setting there lamely blaming the refs. It was not the refs fault that our entire team came out and was terrible in the first half which has NEVER occured to a niner team in a super bowl. It was not the refs fault our defense was horrid for the entire game which allowed us to have to play f**king catchup the entire game. Then when we did catch them, of course the coaches went into a fetal position and played not to win.

cc, they're talking about the '83 NFC title game in DC and anyone who saw the game knows that on the verge of a fabulous Joe Montana comeback for a win, the refs basically took the game over, called a series of the worst defensive penalties on the Niners I can remember and pretty much gave the Redskins the game. The end of the game pissed Walsh off so much that he started lobbying the next off season for instant replay.
oh ok,, sorry,, yes i agree,, we got hosed bad on that one. sorry
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Nothing even compares to what we just went through this year.

Every single event proceeding, that had to happen in order for Baltimore to win, even well before the game, did. I say we beat them by a three score margin otherwise.
blaming the refs is the reason why people call us the whiners. get real, if we would have taken care of what we can control and if the coaches would have allowed the team to win the game at the end you would not be setting there lamely blaming the refs. It was not the refs fault that our entire team came out and was terrible in the first half which has NEVER occured to a niner team in a super bowl. It was not the refs fault our defense was horrid for the entire game which allowed us to have to play f**king catchup the entire game. Then when we did catch them, of course the coaches went into a fetal position and played not to win.

cc, they're talking about the '83 NFC title game in DC and anyone who saw the game knows that on the verge of a fabulous Joe Montana comeback for a win, the refs basically took the game over, called a series of the worst defensive penalties on the Niners I can remember and pretty much gave the Redskins the game. The end of the game pissed Walsh off so much that he started lobbying the next off season for instant replay.
oh ok,, sorry,, yes i agree,, we got hosed bad on that one. sorry

Yeah, that game was so poorly officiated the league reversed it's long time stance on instant replay. That game is quite literally the reason we now have instant replay.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Exactly the point I was trying to make GN, thanks. The Niners had tied it up at 21 all after being down 21-0.

The Redskins then marched on a 13-play, 78-yard drive that took 6:12 off the clock and set up Moseley's 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left in the game. This possession was aided by two controversial penalties:

On second down and 10 on the San Francisco 45-yard line, Theismann threw a long incompletion intended for wide receiver Art Monk, but cornerback Eric Wright was called for pass interference at the 18-yard line. It seemed that nobody had a reasonable chance to catch the ball, which, under the rule, would have nullified any pass interference penalty.
On third down and 5 from the San Francisco 13-yard line, cornerback Ronnie Lott was called for holding on what seemed to be a harmless act with Brown far away from where the pass fell incomplete.

Funny I remember that pas ending up in the stands...okay, I'm over reacting, but it would not have been catchable by anyone under 24 feet tall!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Exactly the point I was trying to make GN, thanks. The Niners had tied it up at 21 all after being down 21-0.

The Redskins then marched on a 13-play, 78-yard drive that took 6:12 off the clock and set up Moseley's 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left in the game. This possession was aided by two controversial penalties:

On second down and 10 on the San Francisco 45-yard line, Theismann threw a long incompletion intended for wide receiver Art Monk, but cornerback Eric Wright was called for pass interference at the 18-yard line. It seemed that nobody had a reasonable chance to catch the ball, which, under the rule, would have nullified any pass interference penalty.
On third down and 5 from the San Francisco 13-yard line, cornerback Ronnie Lott was called for holding on what seemed to be a harmless act with Brown far away from where the pass fell incomplete.

Funny I remember that pas ending up in the stands...okay, I'm over reacting, but it would not have been catchable by anyone under 24 feet tall!

Probably the only time I ever felt like breaking something because of a game.
Originally posted by allhype:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

I am 40 years old and I still remember that! That hurts more than the others because the refs took control of the game.....JUST LIKE THE SUPERBOWL LOSS TO THE RAVENS (and I'm not talking about the Crabtree interference)!!!!!!

When I say this thread tittle I thought of this game, and it's not even listed as choice in the poll, this was by far the worst.
If you saw it live 83 was by far the worst screw job by the refs against the Niners in team history.

Well, I saw it live on TV!

CCiowa who cares what other people think! You think just because you say it was NOT the refs fault people are gonna stop calling us Whiners. Please!!! Call it like it is and forget what other people think...just to make my point...1) Williams should have been kicked out of the game for shoving a ref. 2) The holding NO CALL on the kickoff return (B. Miller was being held). 3) The holding NO CALL on the Ravens punt from there own end zone. 4) The NO Offsides call on Baltimore at the end of the game. Now those are 4 calls by DEFINITION that should have been penalties and i'm not even talking about the TWO HOLDS on Crabs at the end of the game!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
CCiowa who cares what other people think! You think just because you say it was NOT the refs fault people are gonna stop calling us Whiners. Please!!! Call it like it is and forget what other people think...just to make my point...1) Williams should have been kicked out of the game for shoving a ref. 2) The holding NO CALL on the kickoff return (B. Miller was being held). 3) The holding NO CALL on the Ravens punt from there own end zone. 4) The NO Offsides call on Baltimore at the end of the game. Now those are 4 calls by DEFINITION that should have been penalties and i'm not even talking about the TWO HOLDS on Crabs at the end of the game!!!!
bullet point number one had nothing to do with anything. he shoved a ref, should have got kicked out but did not, who cares, get over it and play the game and not use that as an excuse.. Our special ed teams were terrible all year and at least one of our guys just went running right past the returner, that stupid lapse, which occured many times this year, over rides any phantom call. the other stuff you say took place had nothing to do with anything, had we come out and played the game the right way. If we are or were the true elite team with the true elite coaches we are said to have, we could have over come anything negative you may have felt took place from a refs point of view. and in regards to first and goal from the 7 with the best run game in the nfl and best offensive line in the nfl,,,, when even little james got two yards on first down vs a run heavy defense,,,, that speaks for itself. If the coaches would have given the players a chance to win by either giving the damn ball to gore/ck/ dixon on second and third, the infamous fourth down alleged non call(and i say the ball could not have been caught anyway) would not have taken place.Some of you can blame the refs all you want but we did not play well on offense for four quarters, we did not play well on defense for fourth quarters and our special ed teams were their usual keystone cops self and that is why we lost the game,, plus the coaches let us down by not playing to what this team does best at crunch time in the biggest game of the year on the biggest stage in the world
Ditto,cc, coaching errors stole the game from the team. I put it all onto inexperience, but the awful fact that at crunch time Coach H didn't have 4 plays on the tip of his tongue to score from the 7 nor did Roman,...well, it is just mind blowing. I think we have seen the last of that, in that Coach Walsh had 4 answers for every situation....be it O or D. JH is HC and we expect him to be the best. I believe he will be, and then we will have a long run at SBs and lots of wins. Just a shame to give his first effort away on a first a 7 from the 7. It still hurts, and in a way , amazes me that JH had no plan in that situation. He will the next time tho.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ditto,cc, coaching errors stole the game from the team. I put it all onto inexperience, but the awful fact that at crunch time Coach H didn't have 4 plays on the tip of his tongue to score from the 7 nor did Roman,...well, it is just mind blowing. I think we have seen the last of that, in that Coach Walsh had 4 answers for every situation....be it O or D. JH is HC and we expect him to be the best. I believe he will be, and then we will have a long run at SBs and lots of wins. Just a shame to give his first effort away on a first a 7 from the 7. It still hurts, and in a way , amazes me that JH had no plan in that situation. He will the next time tho.

if he and roman did not learn from that fiasco, well i just do not know. I guess we will find out pretty quick if they learned in the first game when they actually can get plays in on time and we are not setting there looking at the god damn play clock in the upper left hand or right hand corner of the screen

bullet point number one had nothing to do with anything. he shoved a ref, should have got kicked out but did not, who cares, get over it and play the game and not use that as an excuse.. Our special ed teams were terrible all year and at least one of our guys just went running right past the returner, that stupid lapse, which occured many times this year, over rides any phantom call. the other stuff you say took place had nothing to do with anything, had we come out and played the game the right way. If we are or were the true elite team with the true elite coaches we are said to have, we could have over come anything negative you may have felt took place from a refs point of view. and in regards to first and goal from the 7 with the best run game in the nfl and best offensive line in the nfl,,,, when even little james got two yards on first down vs a run heavy defense,,,, that speaks for itself. If the coaches would have given the players a chance to win by either giving the damn ball to gore/ck/ dixon on second and third, the infamous fourth down alleged non call(and i say the ball could not have been caught anyway) would not have taken place.Some of you can blame the refs all you want but we did not play well on offense for four quarters, we did not play well on defense for fourth quarters and our special ed teams were their usual keystone cops self and that is why we lost the game,, plus the coaches let us down by not playing to what this team does best at crunch time in the biggest game of the year on the biggest stage in the world

So you think that game was officiated with no flaws ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

nope. what i said is that if we would have taken care of the things we can control we could have overcome any alleged bad calls by the officials and if the coaches would have allowed the players to win the game at the end many people would not be setting here blaming the refs. with very few exceptions, green bay vs seattle and our afore mentioned 83 playoff loss... games are usually not decided by officials. most of the time if you feel the calls are going against you, you should be good enough to overcome it and as I said,, we were not good on both sides of the ball plus special ed teams for four quarters to win the super bowl

nope. what i said is that if we would have taken care of the things we can control we could have overcome any alleged bad calls by the officials and if the coaches would have allowed the players to win the game at the end many people would not be setting here blaming the refs. with very few exceptions, green bay vs seattle and our afore mentioned 83 playoff loss... games are usually not decided by officials. most of the time if you feel the calls are going against you, you should be good enough to overcome it and as I said,, we were not good on both sides of the ball plus special ed teams for four quarters to win the super bowl

ok so you agree there were officiating blunders, but if we couldn't overcome those blunder then how did we get back in the game ?...it's because we did get past it.

and part of the reason we went to crabs at the end was that he was beastin it and beating his man until he he got a face full of helmet and nearly tackled in the endzone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
ok so you agree there were officiating blunders, but if we couldn't overcome those blunder then how did we get back in the game ?...it's because we did get past it.

and part of the reason we went to crabs at the end was that he was beastin it and beating his man until he he got a face full of helmet and nearly tackled in the endzone.

if the coaches would have went to the best running game in the nfl with the best run blocking line in the nfl on second and third down,, the fourth down play never would have occured but no,, of course,,, typical roman. he had to get cute at the worst possible moment and a big boo to the head coach who should have hit him over the head with the clipboard and taken over the play calling

if the coaches would have went to the best running game in the nfl with the best run blocking line in the nfl on second and third down,, the fourth down play never would have occured but no,, of course,,, typical roman. he had to get cute at the worst possible moment and a big boo to the head coach who should have hit him over the head with the clipboard and taken over the play calling

The best run blocking team in the NFL got stopped on first down, There's no guarantee that if we run we score..and every arm chair QB will always say why didn't we do this when it doesn't work the first time.
Share 49ersWebzone