LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

The loss to the Giants in 90.

Montana's last game starting, end to the 3 Peat.
toss up between williams fumble and Craig fumble.... I was 10 years old when Craig fumbled, the memories still haunt me. Would have been a 3 peat that year
I took the Craig fumble the hardest. That was my senior year in high school.i remember it too well. Lost the 3-peat.
2011. Was too young for the others. We had the magic that year, and we would have beaten the Pats.
But, even though this is a championship game thread, nothing compares to the SB loss. I was at the game and haven't seen the Niners win a Super Bowl since I was 9. Devastating is an understatement. Longest plane ride home. s**tty end to what was otherwise a great trip to NOLA. Ugh, brutal. Watching Crabtree go down is a harsh reminder of just how hard it is to get there and how you have to seize the moment when it presents itself.
The one that prevented a 49ER Three-Peat.
the one thats freshest
Roger Craig's fumble in 1990. We had the Three Peat for sure........
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
All of them... Although the Redskins game where Ronnie Lott got flagged for PI on a pass that it ended up in the stands (okay not the stands but you get my point), setting up the Redskins to win it. That game was so badly officiated, that some feel it's the reason we have instant replay. (some people being mostly me and my friends) Raider went on to beat the Skins, we would have crushed the Raiders in the true battle of the bay, that never was!

We got screwed over that game ...refs were letting them play , but calling some b******t on us

I believe that would have been back to back Superbowl's with the 81 game. I'm still pissed about that, it's on thing to get out played, or fumble, it's another to watch the reffs just screw you over!

Close, but no cigar. Yes, it would have been back to back, but it would have been '83 and '84. The '83 season NFC Championship game in DC was a complete fiasco. How do you call face guarding on Ronnie Lott when replays show he had his arms down at his sides. The refs simply decided they weren't going to let Montana come back and take that game away from the Redskins, period. They came back the next season on a complete mission - the '84 team just rolled. Let's hope this team comes back this year on a similar mission.

It was a long time ago, and off all the NFC losses this one still pisses me off!
I was born in 85 so I vaguely remember 92. 93 was my first year of following the team the whole year and that one sucked because I hated the cowboys so much. 97 I thought we were the better team but the game was never that close. I'd have to say 2011 just because the game was so close and those are always the ones that hurt a little more. I have watched tape of the 1990 game and if I was a fan then I would say that would be the most painful.

Originally I would have said Craig's fumble. But a lot of time has passed since that has happened and a lot of bad football has been played by the 49ers for me to semi-heal from that one. But now, I would have to say Kyle Williams. I watch the Super Bowl every year regardless of who is in it. But not that year. That game edges me up so bad I didn't look at anything NFL related until the draft.
Too young for the 90's giants one and the only NFC championship loss I saw was the giants of 2011, that one hurt so damn much. Our d was amazing, was healthy and would've destroyed Brady. Alex and the offense thanks to the running game would've put enough points on that crappy pats d to win the game. Can't believe harbaugh could've won the sb in his 1st yr
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
But, even though this is a championship game thread, nothing compares to the SB loss. I was at the game and haven't seen the Niners win a Super Bowl since I was 9. Devastating is an understatement. Longest plane ride home. s**tty end to what was otherwise a great trip to NOLA. Ugh, brutal. Watching Crabtree go down is a harsh reminder of just how hard it is to get there and how you have to seize the moment when it presents itself.

simply put, making the sb is sp very hard, its like you're holding the winning lottery ticket and die in a car crash on the way to the store to cash it in. gotta cash that ticket cus u never know when you'll be back.
It was a long time ago, and off all the NFC losses this one still pisses me off!

You're not alone. In fact, I've read that it pissed Walsh off so much that the next year is when he started pushing for replay to review various official's decisions.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
They are all upsetting, every one of them, you do not rank them cuz they are all upsetting but of course they are trumphed by the one super bowl loss we had , mainly because we had a chance to win and the coaches did not allow the players or team to win the game
Share 49ersWebzone