There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Good Article on Patrick & Bowman

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
After watching Bowman destroy the Rams the Thursday before last, I'm convinced Pat and Bow are being underutilized. Both Pat and Bow are dripping with talent, but instead of blitzing them or giving them the ability to roam and use instinct, they are tied into very specific assignments significantly reducing there potential impact. It's very frustrating.

Willis has essentially become a glorified strong safety.

they were underutilized in the super bowl but thats a whole other story for a whole other day
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Bowman > Willis

tough to say, but true

Nah, Bowman misses more tackles. But he is more explosive.

Patrick Willis is the best sure-tackler we have.

Navarro Bowman is, in my opinion, a slightly better blitzer and cover-guy.

I love them both.
Ok maybe I'm missing something. I believe they're both very good.
But if everybody claims a lot of our defense is so good, the line, the linebackers, etc - then why cant we stop the run. I could be wrong, but what I saw from Seattle last week, made me think about how our defense kept us in the games in 2011 and now we cant seem to do that. We let people run the ball on us and tick the clock down. Check out the Seattle and Indy games.
I'm sure a lot of it is that the offense is just being quite ineffective over the last few games with a crazy number of 3 and outs. But even then, I recall that happening in 2011 and our defense still giving the team a chance to win.
Now it seems like if the offense doesnt score 20 points, we're going to lose.

BTW - dont get me wrong - I still hold the offense and more specifically Roman and the coaches at fault here - but the defensive front seven, dont look like they've done what they could to hold the fort down.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
I don't see Willis as a glorified strong safety. His ability to cover opposing teams TE's one on one gives us the ability to do so many things. There is a reason we allow the least amount of big plays because our safeties get to play over the top.

Bowman nor Willis will get the gaudy stats such as TFLs due to our scheme. We simply don't blitz enough, but a lot of that is on Fangio.

Justin Smith said stats are for losers. Loser ball

I disagree of course. There is a reason why "sexy stats" are sexy. It's because they are disruptive and potentially game changing plays. They can provide a swing in momentum. Obviously sound fundamentals and execution of assignment are the primary ingredients for winning. And your not going to win a game without players willing to do the "dirty work." However, don't discount the real and/or psychological impact of disruptive plays like TFL, sacks, effective blitzs, interceptions or hard hits and stripped balls resulting in a turnover. I'm glad we aren't giving up big plays, but now we are getting run on and nickel and dimed which results in long extended drives and a tired defense. I'm not saying our defense doesn't work as its solid to very good, but I don't think we are as good as we could be with all the talent we have. Based on our roster name recognition, offenses shouldn't be able to do much, but that hasn't been the case.

Its great that Willis is talented enough to chase down big fast TEs, but I'd argue that's not were he is most effective. Willis is a wall and a one man running back wrecking crew. He's a much better tackler than Bowman. In fact, I've see Bowman miss more tackles in the last year, than I've seen Willis miss in his whole career. IMO, there is a reason our D was stout against the run for all those years and not as much so in the last couple; Willis is no longer roaming the line of scrimmage. If anything, I feel like Bowman and Willis' rolls should be reversed. I do think Bowman has better instinct in the passing game, so I'm puzzled as to why he's not the one covering TEs. My only guess is that he lacks the speed?

Anyway, when I think of real defensive game changers that aren't pass rushers, they all seem to be allowed a certain level of freedom. Whether its Ray Lewis, Ed Reid, Brain Urlacher, Troy P or Willis of a few years ago, they all are allowed to mix physical talent with instinct. I don't think we allow our two great LBs that same freedom. And while our defense is good, I think its preventing it from becoming great.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by deepniner:
But if everybody claims a lot of our defense is so good, the line, the linebackers, etc - then why cant we stop the run. I could be wrong, but what I saw from Seattle last week, made me think about how our defense kept us in the games in 2011 and now we cant seem to do that. We let people run the ball on us and tick the clock down. Check out the Seattle and Indy games.
I'm sure a lot of it is that the offense is just being quite ineffective over the last few games with a crazy number of 3 and outs. But even then, I recall that happening in 2011 and our defense still giving the team a chance to win.

BTW - dont get me wrong - I still hold the offense and more specifically Roman and the coaches at fault here - but the defensive front seven, dont look like they've done what they could to hold the fort down.

The defense is allowing 3.5 yards per rush, which is better than 2012, and the same as 2011. Overall the defense is playing great this year, but they're getting screwed because the offense isn't getting it done.
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by deepniner:

The defense is allowing 3.5 yards per rush, which is better than 2012, and the same as 2011. Overall the defense is playing great this year, but they're getting screwed because the offense isn't getting it done.
Does the 3.5 average include the Rams game? I think our defense hasn't been as stout against the run like 2011, but that was a special defense that year. Even in 2012, physical offenses like Minnesota have worn out our front 7. Maybe that's just fatigue of not rotating players the last 2 years. As Cossell stated, we basically use only 12 men on defense. Hopefully it will change by the end of the season.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home