LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Good Article on Patrick & Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is a solid article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128011/article/why-patrick-willis-and-navorro-bowman-are-special
Great read!
Love the all 22!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
our D is fkn solid.

Bowman, Willis
Goldson, Whitner
J.Smith, Aldon Smith

Rogers and Brown aren't too shabby either.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
our D is fkn solid.

Bowman, Willis
Goldson, Whitner
J.Smith, Aldon Smith

Rogers and Brown aren't too shabby either.

Do not forget Ahmad Brooks--!!!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great read!

+ 1

Thanks
Good take
After watching Bowman destroy the Rams the Thursday before last, I'm convinced Pat and Bow are being underutilized. Both Pat and Bow are dripping with talent, but instead of blitzing them or giving them the ability to roam and use instinct, they are tied into very specific assignments significantly reducing there potential impact. It's very frustrating.

Willis has essentially become a glorified strong safety.
[ Edited by IMnotsoHO on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
I don't see Willis as a glorified strong safety. His ability to cover opposing teams TE's one on one gives us the ability to do so many things. There is a reason we allow the least amount of big plays because our safeties get to play over the top.

Bowman nor Willis will get the gaudy stats such as TFLs due to our scheme. We simply don't blitz enough, but a lot of that is on Fangio.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
I don't see Willis as a glorified strong safety. His ability to cover opposing teams TE's one on one gives us the ability to do so many things. There is a reason we allow the least amount of big plays because our safeties get to play over the top.

Bowman nor Willis will get the gaudy stats such as TFLs due to our scheme. We simply don't blitz enough, but a lot of that is on Fangio.

Justin Smith said stats are for losers. Loser ball

Both Willis and Bowman are usually used for our #1 goal on defense: stopping the run. That's why neither of them get too many sexy stats besides tackles. Additionally, when the other team has a big threat like a mobile QB, Willis is the one playing QB spy to keep the guy in check.

The Rams are currently ranked 32/32 in rushing yards. That allowed the coaches to use Bowman more freely because his typical stop the run duty wasn't as important.

I agree though, it was amazing watching Bowman fly around vs the Rams. I would love to see both of them used more "creatively" but we would have to sacrifice some run stopping.
Bowman > Willis

tough to say, but true
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:

Vert good points and observation. I think you are 100% correct. We do limit teams' passing attack to a great extent and with two tightend set in todays game, we are not overmatched in coverage and can stop the run onthe same play.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Bowman > Willis

tough to say, but true

I don't really think one is better than the other. Contrary to popular perception, I don't think they are clones, either.

They both have different styles. Bowman is better in coverage and is a more "finesse" player than Willis. Bowman reminds me of a running back at times with his field vision and they way he uses his speed and agility to get past blockers without being touched. Willis is better at taking on blockers.... He'll just plow downhill and put an offensive guard on their ass before blowing up the running back for little to no gain. Willis is also one of the most technically sound tacklers I have ever seen. It's even more impressive that he can hit as hard as he does without sacrificing his ability to tackle.

I think Bowman is just more fluid and agile, while Willis is a bit more stiff and stout.

People seem to have already forgotten what Willis was like before Bowman and Fangio. The guy had 15 sacks in his first four years. He's had 2.5 since 2011. He's just being used differently now. He has more passes defensed the last couple years than he was averaging before.

This season so far I guess I'd agree that Bowman has played better, but I don't know how much of that is due to Willis' injuries.

In any case, they are the best inside linebackers in the league. Both incredibly versatile and productive... and they both do it while being considered undersized for the position.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Bowman > Willis

tough to say, but true

Nah, Bowman misses more tackles. But he is more explosive.
Share 49ersWebzone