There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We need to extend Crabtree

Originally posted by hofer36:
in my view terrell brown is more of a priority to resign than crabtree...finding a player of crabtrees comparable skills will be easier than finding a corner as good as brown

What?
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
You guys realize we almost LOST Crabtree due to a clause written in his contract?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

If he made the Pro Bowl last year, his contract would have voided its final season and this year would've been his last as a Niner. Everything in that deal was just Crab and his agent looking out for themselves. I like Crab, he's turned into a beast, but if he's looking for the big money, let him go. We have other positions to fill.

At the time he was drafted by a poor team with question mark at QB. I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
in my view terrell brown is more of a priority to resign than crabtree...finding a player of crabtrees comparable skills will be easier than finding a corner as good as brown

What?

Ya, I totally disagree with hofer36. CBs can come in and be productive if your front 7 gets consistent pressure. A top tier WR are hard to find. Look how long it took for us to get a 1000yd receiver. We had two pro-bowl CBs in that time (Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers).

I agree. Crabtree is a good, possibly great receiver, but Brown already is a great corner and will probably cost us half what Crabtree will want when it's contract time. If Crabtree wants more than $8 mil. a season I'd expect Baalke to just let him walk.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:Ya, I totally disagree with hofer36. CBs can come in and be productive if your front 7 gets consistent pressure. A top tier WR are hard to find. Look how long it took for us to get a 1000yd receiver. We had two pro-bowl CBs in that time (Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers).

You don't think that had anything to do with the quarterbacks we've been fielding since Jeff Garcia? You're not gonna have many 1,000 yard receivers with 2500 yard/season passers.
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Ya, I totally disagree with hofer36. CBs can come in and be productive if your front 7 gets consistent pressure. A top tier WR are hard to find. Look how long it took for us to get a 1000yd receiver. We had two pro-bowl CBs in that time (Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers).

You don't think that had anything to do with the quarterbacks we've been fielding since Jeff Garcia? You're not gonna have many 1,000 yard receivers with 2500 yard/season passers.

Obviously they're intertwined, but I value a #1 WR over a #1 CB. And I'm not sure if Brown is even our #1. I still hold to the idea of spending your $$ and resources on the front 7 and your secondary will benefit.

FWIW, I would prioritize the extensions as...

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) A. Davis
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Boone
7) Brown
I don't think we extend Crabtree. Dude's gonna want a pay day...unless, he truly prefers Kaep as his QB.
You guys realize we almost LOST Crabtree due to a clause written in his contract?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

If he made the Pro Bowl last year, his contract would have voided its final season and this year would've been his last as a Niner. Everything in that deal was just Crab and his agent looking out for themselves. I like Crab, he's turned into a beast, but if he's looking for the big money, let him go. We have other positions to fill.

At the time he was drafted by a poor team with question mark at QB. I don't see anything wrong with what they did.

Hmm maybe Alex was instructed to make sure Crabtree didn't have a pro bowl season and that it was OK for VD to have one?

Obviously they're intertwined, but I value a #1 WR over a #1 CB. And I'm not sure if Brown is even our #1. I still hold to the idea of spending your $$ and resources on the front 7 and your secondary will benefit.

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) A. Davis
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Boone
7) Brown

Some of it is the receiver, but I think the QB mostly makes the receiver. No CB is worth the money that someone like Revis is looking for, but I'd be a lot more comfortable signing Brown for $5-$6 mil/yr. than Crabtree to a $10mil/+ per year deal. With Kaepernick I think he'd be just fine going the Patriots/Brady route of finding a bunch of mid-tier dudes for $3-$5 mil/ year and drafting players to plug in. Mario Manningham was the perfect receiver and contract for what we should be looking for going forward imo. For the same money I'd rather 3 Manninghams @ $4mil/yr. than 1 star like Mike Wallace @ $11mil. and 2 deadbeats like Ted Ginn/Randy Moss at $1mil each.

Edit: Definitely agree with your top 4 signings though.
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:

1) Kaep
2) Aldon
3) A. Davis
4) Iupati
5) Crabtree
6) Boone
7) Brown

Some of it is the receiver, but I think the QB mostly makes the receiver. No CB is worth the money that someone like Revis is looking for, but I'd be a lot more comfortable signing Brown for $5-$6 mil/yr. than Crabtree to a $10mil/+ per year deal. With Kaepernick I think he'd be just fine going the Patriots/Brady route of finding a bunch of mid-tier dudes for $3-$5 mil/ year and drafting players to plug in. Mario Manningham was the perfect receiver and contract for what we should be looking for going forward imo. For the same money I'd rather 3 Manninghams @ $4mil/yr. than 1 star like Mike Wallace @ $11mil. and 2 deadbeats like Ted Ginn/Randy Moss at $1mil each.

Edit: Definitely agree with your top 4 signings though.

A good QB does make a receiver in most cases, but there are a few exceptions (Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Julio Jones) that are absolute difference makers and not just a function of the QB throwing to them. Crabtree is good, but he doesn't have the elite size, speed, and separation that those guys have.

We'll see how the draft goes. If we land C. Patterson, D. Rodgers, or A. Dobson and they turn into a player like the guys I mentioned above, then great, Crabs walks. But if we draft a CB early, then Brown's extension seems less feasible.
Money in contracts are ALWAYS about past performance. Baalke already said we will not pay a player high money for peak performance he has already performed. We will negotiate with a player prior to his peak year and give him a fair deal. This way, we are paying that player a fair amount for his actual peak performance, which would be the following year. If Crabtree has a major breakout year, I don't think we give him a top deal after that year unless he is willing to take a "fair" deal.

he wasnt close to making the pro bowl though. his last game not only put him over 1000 but it put him over 1100 yards but the rpo bowl rosters had already been set by then. he had a great season, fantastic down the stretch, but dez bryant at 1380 yards didnt even get in. hes got a good shot to make it next year, but he actually wasnt that close this year despite what his stats say.

What?

I could not disagree more with that statement, lol.

Our pass rush needs to be priority #1 on defense. Crabtree is becoming a very good #1 WR

Our secondary looks good at times because of how stellar our front 7, tarrell brown is easily replaceable.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM ]
Did anyone catch Crabtree on SN when they were unveiling the winners in the Madden bracket?

They were talking about Rice being the GOAT at WR and Crabs said something along the lines of "I don't know about that". The host started grilling him about it. He went silient and eventually backtracked.

EDIT: to keep it on topic...he shouldn't be resigned b/c of this. not srs
[ Edited by drake49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by drake49er:
Did anyone catch Crabtree on SN when they were unveiling the winners in the Madden bracket?

They were talking about Rice being the GOAT at WR and Crabs said something along the lines of "I don't know about that". The host started grilling him about it. He went silient and eventually backtracked.

Crabs thinks he's better than rice.
Originally posted by drake49er:

ohhh the offseason