Shop Find 49ers gear online

Better 49ers Defense?

Originally posted by Jcool:
What about the 1995 defense?

#2 in points and #1 in yards

6 Pro Bowlers
3 first team All Pro players

average loss was by 3 points.

Trying to remember our #2 corner that year but was'nt it Tyrone Drakeford?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

6 Pro Bowlers

Eric Davis & Marquez Pope
I remember the 1997 schedule for the 49ers: a lot of the teams they played were considered weak (our division that year wasn't so great as I recall) and we were criticized by the media for it.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

6 Pro Bowlers

Eric Davis & Marquez Pope

Thats right Pope came in from the Rams after we lost Deion.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Not a stat difference. A pain difference. Last year they punished everyone. Hard.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SFBlue:
I don't know what the difference between 2011's stats and 2012's stats are, but regardless the 2011 defense seemed more dominant or special. I'm not too sure we would have made it to the Championship game this season without the improvements on offense/Kaepernick.

Not a stat difference. A pain difference. Last year they punished everyone. Hard.

For one thing we had a lot more turnovers, especially interceptions.
I still go for the 1990 and 2011 defense. The 2011 defense is right up there and would have the hardware if not for the muffed punts. That was a very special group and would be remembered more (by people outside the 49ers fan base) if we had won it all. Someone brought up the 1984 defense. Can't overlook that group or the 1989 defense (essentially the same group as 1990).
Originally posted by ninersoul:
I beg to differ a little bit with you here....

1996 : I think the 49ers would've defeated the Pack that year with Joe. Remember that '96 Monday Night game vs. the Pack where the 49ers had Elvis Grbac starting and they had the lead at halftime ( 17-6 or something like that) and that terrible bad call of Don Beebe scoring a TD after he was clearly down once he caught the ball that changed the mometum of the game? Also later on in the playoffs, if it wasn't for Packers having 2 punt returns for TDs that game it would've been a different story with Joe Montana starting instead of Elvis.

Really?

You realize Terry Kirby was not only our leading rusher in 1996 (559 yards) but he also had the 2nd most receptions on the team, a shocking 17 more catches than the #3 guy.

1996 Packers were one of the finest teams of the 90's.
Farve: 39 TDs - 13 INTs
Bennett: 899 yards
Steady passing attack with Freeman, Brooks, Rison, Beebe, Keith Jackson & Chmura
One of the leagues best Defensive Lines
2 solid corners & 2 All Pro quality Safeties
#1 Defense Points Allowed
#1 Offense Points Scored
Undefeated @ Home, Steamrolled through the Playoffs
Just like 2011 Niners created turnovers, the 1996 Packers returned punts & kicks for TDs. You can't say "if they didn't return two kicks", because that's what they did all season long.

In 1996 we were downright embarrassed and it had nothing to do with Steve
Rushing:
49ers Floyd & Kirby: 11 carries for 27 yards
Packers Bennett & Levens: 32 carries for 126 yards

Was Joe planning on lining up on Defense or Special Teams?
Originally posted by KEGster:
2011 & 2012 Defenses are the best in Franchise history and by a significant margin. Larger than the gap between our '94 offense and any of Joe's offenses

IMO, this defense is the best the NFL has seen since the 2000 Ravens

1. 2000 Ravens
2. 2012 49ers
3. 2008 Steelers
4. 2002 Bucs
5. 2006 Ravens

Honestly, I think our defense might be better than those Ravens but we need the hardware to back it up.

I would rank the 2002 Bucs defense as number 2. That was a shutdown defense. 2012 Niners D (3) or (4) IMO.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
I would rank the 2002 Bucs defense as number 2. That was a shutdown defense. 2012 Niners D (3) or (4) IMO.

You might be right, I'm bias towards physical defenses. 2002 Bucs probably have the most speed on that list with Rice off the edge, Brooks in the middle and Jackson and Kelly in the secondary. Maybe I'm underestimating their physicality with Sapp, Lynch, Barber and Quarles.

Hmm I'm agreeing with you now

Originally posted by KEGster:
Really?

You realize Terry Kirby was not only our leading rusher in 1996 (559 yards) but he also had the 2nd most receptions on the team, a shocking 17 more catches than the #3 guy.

1996 Packers were one of the finest teams of the 90's.
Farve: 39 TDs - 13 INTs
Bennett: 899 yards
Steady passing attack with Freeman, Brooks, Rison, Beebe, Keith Jackson & Chmura
One of the leagues best Defensive Lines
2 solid corners & 2 All Pro quality Safeties
#1 Defense Points Allowed
#1 Offense Points Scored
Undefeated @ Home, Steamrolled through the Playoffs
Just like 2011 Niners created turnovers, the 1996 Packers returned punts & kicks for TDs. You can't say "if they didn't return two kicks", because that's what they did all season long.

In 1996 we were downright embarrassed and it had nothing to do with Steve
Rushing:
49ers Floyd & Kirby: 11 carries for 27 yards
Packers Bennett & Levens: 32 carries for 126 yards

Was Joe planning on lining up on Defense or Special Teams?

No. But u forget that the Packers wideout Brooks was out for the rest of the season and from what I remember that 1996 playoff game was Freeman's first game back after being out a couple weeks from breaking his wrist. Rison was still in the process of getting in the groove of the offense which made him not as effective as what Freeman and Brooks would've been if they were both 100%.

The Packers running game was average at best with Edgar Bennett, and Dorsey Levens wasn't the explosive back yet that he later became the following year. I believe the 49ers were good enough to defeat the Packers its just the Packers had the better coach. Holmgren outcoached Seifert throughout their matchups. I think Joe could've leveled out that playing field.
Share 49ersWebzone