LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Does Kaep's run on Saturday surpass Young's classic run?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Young had to run through some tackles, Kap was 50 yards down the field before half the packers even knew where he was, I say youngs was more impressive, Kaps was more Breathtaking
Originally posted by Ballistic:
it's Kap, not Kaep

Kaep
I remember watching Steve Young run when I was a kid...It was more dramatic because of all the jukes and broken tackles....Kap is just pure SPEED!
Here's the link to the S Young run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_OCaKeiU8

Haven't watched that in years.
Originally posted by NinerJedi:
Young's run was almost like we was drunk.

Kaep's run (or any of his big runs for that matter) is similar to a wild angry ostrich.

Both fun to watch. Young was just more dramatic and slightly over the top with the stumble at the end.

I love this! Dead on!
Originally posted by Fasteddy:
Here's the link to the S Young run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_OCaKeiU8

Haven't watched that in years.

Guy McIntyre & Jesse Sapolu ballin' 30 yards downfield.
love both , diffrent runs cant compare them . Kap bigger longer legs , young stumbling mumbling !
Not to touch off a race debate, but why is it that someone must have two white parents in order for them to be "white"? I mean this with all sincerity. President Obama is bi-racial as is Colin but they are simply deemed "black" or african-american. Am I the only one that doesn't see this as right?

And as much as I like Colin's run, Steve's although not graceful at all required more skill and effort.
Not even close. Young's run and Lon Simmons' call were historic.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Steve Sabol considered Steve's run the best rushing play in NFL history, because if he doesn't make that run, the 49ers don't win the game. If the 49ers don't win that game, they miss the playoffs. And if they miss the playoffs they don't win the super bowl that year.

Exactly...and it was a sort of bitter irony in that the run by Steve Young likely prolonged his time as the backup. Montana was booed in the '87 playoff loss to the Vikings, and was pulled in favor of Young. Flash forward to 1988, and it was a year similar to 2012 where the Niners could never get on a roll, and there was pressure to bench Montana and play Young to spark the team. If Young doesn't make that run, 49ers probably do not make playoffs, Montana doesn't pull off the Super Bowl comeback, and Young would have been starter in '89. But I think most people are pretty happy with how things turned out.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM ]

• jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Kaep's big run on Saturday wasn't as impressive as Steve Young's 1988 run against the Vikings, nor was it done with the game on the line, but I wonder if it was bigger because of being in a playoff game? Young's run was in the regular season.

HELL NO!!!!! Talk about over hype. Cks run was straight as an arrow. All he had to do was out run the defense. Youngs run was a zig zag ,back and forth ,eluding tacklers , great blocks and a stumble into the end zone type of run. Throw in Lon Simmons call and it was an all time nfl classic. Personally I don't think ck 7 could have made youngs run. He's not built for it. To tall and lanky , but very fast.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerJedi:
Young's run was almost like we was drunk.

Kaep's run (or any of his big runs for that matter) is similar to a wild angry ostrich.

Both fun to watch. Young was just more dramatic and slightly over the top with the stumble at the end.

"We" was drunk???
[ Edited by jdean on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Seeing a white boy run like that is always more entertaining. It's so awkward yet graceful at the same time.

Kaepernick's pre-season touchdown run was a real thing of beauty though. I watch that thing over all the time.

Wasn't the preseason td against the Vikings very similar to this one? When I saw the packer td I thought it looked familiar.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
No, not even close. Kap's run was great, but he was untouched. Young kept making people miss and broke tackles all the way to the endzone.

And did it on a broken play...Kaep's play was designed.
No, Young made people miss and miss and miss. Kap ran like a VERY fast deer and made it happen.

Neither one repalces the other.

Both were stellar and will be in 49er lore forever!
Share 49ersWebzone