There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this argument will never be settled. the old farts will say joe, the 90s kids will say steve. im a 90s kid and steve is my favorite player of all time,the way things shook out tho joe is the best ever. i do think that if steve didnt take the ziz zag pattern to starting in the nfl that he did and had walsh he wouldve been better than joe. he had the strength, speed, accuracy and intelligence to do it but he had to come from another league, suffer in tampa bay and then sit behind joe for 4 years before he got to start. thats how it happened tho and im happy with joe being number 1 and steve as a really close 2. the two greatest qbs of all time were both niners as far as im concerned

One player (Joe) played with more talent and we are comparing Bill Walsh and his amazing coaching tree of assistants & coordinators to George Seifert & Mariucci staffs?


Yes, Joe is the #1 QB of all time but the gap is nowhere near as large between him and Steve as some old timers like to make it seem. The chatter about Joe being able to beat the Packers in the mid-late 90's is hilarious. Joe Montana probably had the most talented team on the field every single playoff game of his career folks. Joe is not Michael Jordan, and IMO Jerry Rice is the greatest American Football player of All Time.
Originally posted by KEGster:
People forget just how average Joe was in some of those NFC Title games

Joe: 1981 vs Cowboys: 22-35, 3 TDs & 3 INTs, 81.4 rating
Steve: 1992 vs Cowboys: 25-35, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 84.6 rating

Joe: 1984 vs Bears: 18-34, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 60.0 rating
Steve: 1993 vs Cowboys: 27-45, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 76.8 rating


The difference wasn't Joe....it was the Hall of Fame defense. Sorry Joe fanboys.

lol "Joe fanboys". Pretty much every 49er fan alive is a Joe Montana fan boy, and for good reason. He was the greatest QB of all time.

I do find it interesting though, that on the play before Montana hit John Taylor for the SB winning score against Cincy, he threw an interception right to Bengals CB Lewis Billups in the endzone, who flat out dropped it. Had he made that catch, Montana's legacy would have been forever changed. Arguably the most famous drive in SB history wouldve ended with a terrible throw right to a defender. Niners wouldve lost the SB, Joe wouldve lost the perfect SB record, as well as his interception-less SB streak.

Originally posted by Niners99:
lol "Joe fanboys". Pretty much every 49er fan alive is a Joe Montana fan boy, and for good reason. He was the greatest QB of all time.

I do find it interesting though, that on the play before Montana hit John Taylor for the SB winning score against Cincy, he threw an interception right to Bengals CB Lewis Billups in the endzone, who flat out dropped it. Had he made that catch, Montana's legacy would have been forever changed. Arguably the most famous drive in SB history wouldve ended with a terrible throw right to a defender. Niners wouldve lost the SB, Joe wouldve lost the perfect SB record, as well as his interception-less SB streak.


"Billups was never the same after this..his career slipped, he left Ciny a few years later, and then was killed when his car crashed into a tree, and he was ejected from the vehicle, his body making contact with another tree nearby."
Originally posted by KEGster:
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol "Joe fanboys". Pretty much every 49er fan alive is a Joe Montana fan boy, and for good reason. He was the greatest QB of all time.

I do find it interesting though, that on the play before Montana hit John Taylor for the SB winning score against Cincy, he threw an interception right to Bengals CB Lewis Billups in the endzone, who flat out dropped it. Had he made that catch, Montana's legacy would have been forever changed. Arguably the most famous drive in SB history wouldve ended with a terrible throw right to a defender. Niners wouldve lost the SB, Joe wouldve lost the perfect SB record, as well as his interception-less SB streak.


"Billups was never the same after this..his career slipped, he left Ciny a few years later, and then was killed when his car crashed into a tree, and he was ejected from the vehicle, his body making contact with another tree nearby."

That sucks. What I dont get is, when he dropped that pick, he kind of jogged it off like "ah, darn. shoulda had that." He shouldve been laying face down in the endzone holding his head. He dropped their Lombardi Trophy.
Originally posted by Niners99:
That sucks. What I dont get is, when he dropped that pick, he kind of jogged it off like "ah, darn. shoulda had that." He shouldve been laying face down in the endzone holding his head. He dropped their Lombardi Trophy.

It's tricky. Everyone reacts differently but you hope the mind is clear once the next whistle sounds.

Most professional athletes would have laughed it off OR starred at their hands in disbelief.
Originally posted by Niners99:

I do find it interesting though, that on the play before Montana hit John Taylor for the SB winning score against Cincy, he threw an interception right to Bengals CB Lewis Billups in the endzone, who flat out dropped it.

The Billups drop happened on the play before the Rice TD (the "waving around the pylon" one) with us down 13-6. There was still loads of time to come back, even with a touchback there.
[ Edited by paulk205 on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this argument will never be settled. the old farts will say joe, the 90s kids will say steve. im a 90s kid and steve is my favorite player of all time,the way things shook out tho joe is the best ever. i do think that if steve didnt take the ziz zag pattern to starting in the nfl that he did and had walsh he wouldve been better than joe. he had the strength, speed, accuracy and intelligence to do it but he had to come from another league, suffer in tampa bay and then sit behind joe for 4 years before he got to start. thats how it happened tho and im happy with joe being number 1 and steve as a really close 2. the two greatest qbs of all time were both niners as far as im concerned

This seems about right, I'm a 90s kid and Steve has always been pretty much my favorite football player ever.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 946
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this argument will never be settled. the old farts will say joe, the 90s kids will say steve. im a 90s kid and steve is my favorite player of all time,the way things shook out tho joe is the best ever. i do think that if steve didnt take the ziz zag pattern to starting in the nfl that he did and had walsh he wouldve been better than joe. he had the strength, speed, accuracy and intelligence to do it but he had to come from another league, suffer in tampa bay and then sit behind joe for 4 years before he got to start. thats how it happened tho and im happy with joe being number 1 and steve as a really close 2. the two greatest qbs of all time were both niners as far as im concerned

This seems about right, I'm a 90s kid and Steve has always been pretty much my favorite football player ever.

Yep, there's something about seeing it with our own eyes and actually living through it that shapes your perception. However, I'd like to point out that you "90's kids" are old farts too. Those of us who watched Joe play are merely older farts. I regard Joe and Steve as relative equals, and if all goes well, Kaep may join that club someday too.

I think Joe has always felt a little bitter towards the organization and the way he was treated, and some of that projects onto Young. As he sees it, the 49ers pushed him out the door before he was done. That was a legacy of Bill Walsh, who was always looking forward and believed that you should let a player go before his career was over... no matter who he was.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Look at the sense of entitlement and all-around "d-baggedness" of Montana's kids (sons). That didn't just happen in a vacuum, call it learned behavior. Hell, Montana has even taken time out of his day to rip "Rudy" (Daniel Ruettiger)...Joe, you were 2x MVP, in a ton of Pro Bowls, won 4 SB rings, in the HOF, you're Joe F-ing Cool...let Rudy do his motivational speaking and you just tend to your grapes and keep pulling strings for your kids.

Damn Steve, did you really have to go after his family?


his kids do suck tho haha. his youngest is playing at a junior college by me now after being buried in the depth chart at UW
awkward....

Originally posted by KEGster:
People forget just how average Joe was in some of those NFC Title games

Joe: 1981 vs Cowboys: 22-35, 3 TDs & 3 INTs, 81.4 rating
Steve: 1992 vs Cowboys: 25-35, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 84.6 rating

Joe: 1984 vs Bears: 18-34, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 60.0 rating
Steve: 1993 vs Cowboys: 27-45, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 76.8 rating


The difference wasn't Joe....it was the Hall of Fame defense. Sorry Joe fanboys.

No. Joe was unflappable and Steve wasn't. Bottom line we have Joe in 92 we beat the cowboys. Bye the way 97 98 teams had very good defenses and garrison Hearst.
Originally posted by Husker49er:
No. Joe was unflappable and Steve wasn't. Bottom line we have Joe in 92 we beat the cowboys. Bye the way 97 98 teams had very good defenses and garrison Hearst.
I just posted Joe's flapped statistics. First 2-NFC title games: 4 TDs & 5 INTs.

Who has the greatest Super Bowl performance ever?.....Steve

97 & 98 Packers were more talented than 97 & 98 49ers. When did Joe play on the less talented team in the Playoffs?


With your logic, maybe the 49ers win the 1985 & 1986 Super Bowls with Steve under center. Who couldn't win a Playoff game with Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, Roger Craig & Russ Francis.

Truth: Joe's 49er teams have more hardware so Joe gets the benefit of the doubt and that's fair. He deserves it with his performances in the Super Bowl, but what if he didn't have that great defense to bail him out in the 1981 & 1984 NFC title games.....like Steve? Then you are looking at 2 Super Bowls: Note the clip of Joe throwing the INT versus the Bengals. That's 1 single lone Championship for Joe. So do you really think he would have made the difference in 1992, 1993 or 1997? Maybe but probably not.
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:
Originally posted by Husker49er:
No. Joe was unflappable and Steve wasn't. Bottom line we have Joe in 92 we beat the cowboys. Bye the way 97 98 teams had very good defenses and garrison Hearst.
I just posted Joe's flapped statistics. First 2-NFC title games: 4 TDs & 5 INTs.

Who has the greatest Super Bowl performance ever?.....Steve

97 & 98 Packers were more talented than 97 & 98 49ers. When did Joe play on the less talented team in the Playoffs?


With your logic, maybe the 49ers win the 1985 & 1986 Super Bowls with Steve under center. Who couldn't win a Playoff game with Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, Roger Craig & Russ Francis.

Truth: Joe's 49er teams have more hardware so Joe gets the benefit of the doubt and that's fair. He deserves it with his performances in the Super Bowl, but what if he didn't have that great defense to bail him out in the 1981 & 1984 NFC title games.....like Steve? Then you are looking at 2 Super Bowls: Note the clip of Joe throwing the INT versus the Bengals. That's 1 single lone Championship for Joe. So do you really think he would have made the difference in 1992, 1993 or 1997? Maybe but probably not.

98 defense was OK but nowhere near the defense it was before. I remember getting torched by Glenn Foley in week 1 vs. NYJ, they were abused by Favre in GB midseason, Antonio Langham was supposed to be a big addition in the secondary and he was total garbage, Marquez Pope was always hurt and the FAs we had in '97 (Greene, Woodson) and the '97 DPOY Dana Stubblefield all left. '98 defense was not really a championship caliber unit.
The big difference between the two is Steve, to my knowledge, has always, publicly at least, spoken with complimentary, almost reverent tones about Joe, whereas Joe, won't even refer to Steve by name. How such a big talent can be so small is very disheartening to a fan like myself. We can argue each guy's merits as a QB until sunup, but there is no argument as to who is the better person.