LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
I was thinking about this today. I know for a while that Montana wouldn't show up to events if Steve Young was going to be there but did they ever make up?
They've been at the same events during the last 10 years. They were never friends, but the animosity between them was completely overblown. Montana just didn't want to hang with Young. They were completely different kinds of people. Montana and Clark were partying and Young was a devout Mormon. It's probably as simple as that.
They'll never hang out during their spare time, call one another, or become facebook friends. They respect each other, they just have no relationship.
Montana resents him because of the replacement. I don't think there is hate, but no love lost.
Ive always wondered 2 things about this.

In 1992, Montana is still on the team as the backup. Young is playing well, we go to the NFC champ game. Was Montana secretly happy that we lost to Dallas, so he didnt have to be on the sidelines looking on while Young won a title in his place?

And, in 1994, was he pulling for the 49ers or Chargers in the SB? I feel like deep down we wouldve prefered to be the only SB winning QB of that era.
It's probably because THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE
I think they will stand united when rooting for Kaepernick in the Superdome three weeks from now. Like a pair of proud papas.
By the time Montana simmered down Young was too busy trying to break up a Tim Harris-Charles Haley pissing match
Originally posted by Niners99:

In 1992, Montana is still on the team as the backup. Young is playing well, we go to the NFC champ game. Was Montana secretly happy that we lost to Dallas, so he didnt have to be on the sidelines looking on while Young won a title in his place?

And, in 1994, was he pulling for the 49ers or Chargers in the SB? I feel like deep down we wouldve prefered to be the only SB winning QB of that era.

Montana DID root for the Chargers:

"`I'm an AFC guy now,'' Montana said earlier this week, in announcing he'll be rooting for the Chargers. ``But I've got a lot of friends on both teams.''

And Brent Jones didn't like that:

"``I'm a little disappointed in Joe,'' Jones said, choosing his words carefully. ``He said he's rooting for the Chargers because he's an AFC guy. If you ask me, that's a little weak. I feel bad about that because I've done nothing but root for Joe and the Chiefs, except for when we played them. I've even got a couple of Kansas City hats. He played with eight guys on this team and we were a big part of his career. To say you're rooting against your buddies, that's kind of tough.'"

http://articles.courant.com/1995-01-26/sports/9501260436_1_montana-s-chiefs-49ers-afc-guy

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Montana DID root for the Chargers:

"`I'm an AFC guy now,'' Montana said earlier this week, in announcing he'll be rooting for the Chargers. ``But I've got a lot of friends on both teams.''

And Brent Jones didn't like that:

"``I'm a little disappointed in Joe,'' Jones said, choosing his words carefully. ``He said he's rooting for the Chargers because he's an AFC guy. If you ask me, that's a little weak. I feel bad about that because I've done nothing but root for Joe and the Chiefs, except for when we played them. I've even got a couple of Kansas City hats. He played with eight guys on this team and we were a big part of his career. To say you're rooting against your buddies, that's kind of tough.'"

http://articles.courant.com/1995-01-26/sports/9501260436_1_montana-s-chiefs-49ers-afc-guy

Joe knows grudges
I think they give each other reacharounds on the regular now.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Unfortunate cropping
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Joe was the better QB, but Steve was the bigger man.

I love Joe, but in the end, I had a stronger connection to Steve...for a variety of reasons. Things didn't come so easy for Steve, there were struggles, adversity, trade rumors, and a giant shadow to live up to. He faced it and beat it....Superbowl 29 was the best in that regard.
Share 49ersWebzone