There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Divisional Round: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by dj43:
I loved the game, the outcome and how it happened. Still, I just cannot believe how poorly prepared GB was defensively. I have always liked Dom Capers for his innovative blitz packages and the way he moved the secondary around to confuse opponents. However, last night GB just sat back in pretty much the same schemes all night while the 49ers just ran over, around and through them like the weren't even there. I want to believe the 49ers are that much better than the Packers, and perhaps they truly are but GB was SO bad last night that it makes me wonder.

Well, there were countless times when GB technically had a free LB on the read-option plays, the problem was the LB's and DE's bit on the run EVERY time.
Originally posted by sfout:
The snap was on Goodwin, wholesale - pretty much 15 of the players on the field didn't even know the ball had been snapped. only 4 or 5 players even reacted to the ball.

Also Marvin I have to beat the dead horse again. Our game planning approach is a complete effort by entire staff. Roman only creates the game plan for the running game and even then he obviously works with the OL coaches and Rathman, WR coach Morton creates the passing game plan and QB coach Chryst makes the Red zone game plan(and if the article from last years divisional round is still accurate also the 2 minute drill plays) and OCCASIONALLY Morton and Chryst actually call the plays depending on the situation and THEN every play is funneled through Harbaugh for the OK or veto.

IF/WHEN Roman leaves we need to find another Running Game Coordinator and an equally or MORE talented play caller.

I know.

They ran in the same way at Stanford with Harbaugh/Roman/Shaw.

I'm just hoping whomever replaces Roman as the OC is just as good. There are some peeps on this forum that don't like him, but I personally am a fan. Chris Ault would be interesting, but as much as I like the Pistol, I'm not sure I'd want to run it full time.
I cant remember when it happened but LMJ was in the play and it was a pass play and LMJs was blocking. Kapp snaps the ball and LMJs tracks a LB(?) going from right of the line to left coming in on a blitz. And LMJs picks him up, Kapp steps up and I really cant remember if it resulted in a TD or what. But I was really impressed for LMJs, the dude stepped up in a big game, im sure Gore would have been proud to see that. I know Gore will be gone soon (a sad day indeed) but the RBs we have post Gore are going to do fine thanks to the 49ers all time rusher.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I cant remember when it happened but LMJ was in the play and it was a pass play and LMJs was blocking. Kapp snaps the ball and LMJs tracks a LB(?) going from right of the line to left coming in on a blitz. And LMJs picks him up, Kapp steps up and I really cant remember if it resulted in a TD or what. But I was really impressed for LMJs, the dude stepped up in a big game, im sure Gore would have been proud to see that. I know Gore will be gone soon (a sad day indeed) but the RBs we have post Gore are going to do fine thanks to the 49ers all time rusher.

I noticed that play too. Very good blitz pickup and toughness to seal off the blitzer. Every Oregon fan that I've talked to tell me one of the more surprising aspects of LMJ is that he is tougher than he looks. He's another kid with great confidence and doesn't cower in the big games.
Originally posted by Otohns:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

I noticed that play too. Very good blitz pickup and toughness to seal off the blitzer. Every Oregon fan that I've talked to tell me one of the more surprising aspects of LMJ is that he is tougher than he looks. He's another kid with great confidence and doesn't cower in the big games.

I believe the 49ers future at the tailback position is well taken care of at this point with Hunter and James. It is allowing Gore to go out gracefully and to extend his career by a couple of years. I will miss Frank Gore when he finally does hang'em up....that guy is a true 49er and a treat to watch on the field. He has never been fast, but his vision and toughness is a treat....no RB I've seen has the same vision and patience Frank does waiting for holes to open. I believe he has been a major influence on both Hunter and LMJ in teaching them that there is more to the RB position than out-running, running over or out-juking a defender.

Nobody runs over guys like Adrian Peterson, but I've seen him in some serious collisions with LB's.....Gore, by contrast, I rarely see him getting tattooed by defenders because he has a sense of where everything is coming from.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
lets use james a bit more. with the way the line did the run blocking you almost like to think we could run at will against any team that is still left out there. i just thought they or the team got away from the bully mentality that makes us so effective. it is hard to put into words but when we play well, we just kind of bring out the worst in teams. i had not seen that since the first half of the pats game so it was nice to get that back.. when you see players like suh from the lions and clay m from green bay look like big dummies and when you see someone like brady go crazy and throw the ball and yell at the refs( by the way why did he not get flagged for that and ck did saturday? ) it makes you feel very good about this team. that is how i felt as i saw the game unfold
Good points Marvin

Only point I wonna make is that despite what Kap says he was nervous at the start of this game (who woudd't be). His passes were a little off at the beginning but I think that pass to Frank down sideline really settled him down. Also he CANNOT start the game like that against ATL this week, and we cannot start slow this week.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The snap was on Goodwin, wholesale - pretty much 15 of the players on the field didn't even know the ball had been snapped. only 4 or 5 players even reacted to the ball.

Also Marvin I have to beat the dead horse again. Our game planning approach is a complete effort by entire staff. Roman only creates the game plan for the running game and even then he obviously works with the OL coaches and Rathman, WR coach Morton creates the passing game plan and QB coach Chryst makes the Red zone game plan(and if the article from last years divisional round is still accurate also the 2 minute drill plays) and OCCASIONALLY Morton and Chryst actually call the plays depending on the situation and THEN every play is funneled through Harbaugh for the OK or veto.

IF/WHEN Roman leaves we need to find another Running Game Coordinator and an equally or MORE talented play caller.

I know.

I'm just hoping whomever replaces Roman as the OC is just as good. There are some peeps on this forum that don't like him, but I personally am a fan. Chris Ault would be interesting, but as much as I like the Pistol, I'm not sure I'd want to run it full time.
IF Roman goes, I think they'll replace him at OC from within, and bring someone from outside as an assistant. I could see the QB coach moving up to OC (Geep Cryst) and then bring in Ault as QB coach. Ault seems like a genius at the Xs and Os, and would be able to contribute to the game plan every week.

At least with Harbaugh we don't have to worry about some guy with 20 year old game plans taking over at OC.

BTW Marvin, great read, again. Thanks for posting.

Originally posted by susweel:
Good points Marvin

Only point I wonna make is that despite what Kap says he was nervous at the start of this game (who woudd't be). His passes were a little off at the beginning but I think that pass to Frank down sideline really settled him down. Also he CANNOT start the game like that against ATL this week, and we cannot start slow this week.
Good observation about Kaep. His early passes were a little high until he settled down.

However, given the way Kaep overcame his rough start against GB, I'm not sure he couldn't overcome a slow start vs. Atl. as well.

I sure hope we don't see a slow start, though.

Originally posted by susweel:
Good points Marvin

Yeah....I don't buy it.

His passes weren't that far off. The pick 6 was a bad throw, no doubt, but it was caused by Crabtree falling down. He should never have thrown the ball the other way, but I don't think that was a nerves issue.

I think what he does have tho is a "my TE can't catch the damn ball" issue.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I know.

IF Roman goes, I think they'll replace him at OC from within, and bring someone from outside as an assistant. I could see the QB coach moving up to OC (Geep Cryst) and then bring in Ault as QB coach. Ault seems like a genius at the Xs and Os, and would be able to contribute to the game plan every week.

At least with Harbaugh we don't have to worry about some guy with 20 year old game plans taking over at OC.

BTW Marvin, great read, again. Thanks for posting.

Could be. Very possible.
Time of possession 38 minutes for the niners. that is Domination.
We're going to kill Softlanta. Payback for 1998 b***hes!!!
Thank you Huey Lewis and the News!!!!
Originally posted by sacleads:
Love all your weekly posts. I gotta give a lot respect to Staley. He looked like he was in a lot of pain and played through it.

I agree Staley was a warrior in that game, I have been critical of him. That game he had, earned a lot of respect from me.