There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ATLANTA FALCONS GAMEDAY THREAD-PLAYOFFS 2013 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Harbaugh quote from postgame presser "they rose up at the end." Using a form of the Falcons' ghey slogan "Rise Up." Unintentional but hilarious.

I'm not sure that was unintentional

Yeah, Harbaugh's a clever dude. ;)

But anyway, just got back from Mexico City. Was watching the games with friends. And holy cow. That was one hell of a game. Coming back from 3 scores down? This is a hell of a team we got. I couldn't be any prouder.

I became a fan in 1997 when I was 8-9 years old. I've never seen a Super Bowl with the Niners in it. So this game is extremely special to me. I can't wait. These next two weeks are going to be excruciating.

I love all you guys.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
This game is over.... The team didn't come today.

Originally posted by taney71:
I would put Alex Smith at QB right now. Brown looks awful.

Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Well, here's to next year.

Originally posted by CenCal9er:
I guess my "quest for sux" towel will be used to wash windows

Originally posted by OntheInside:
For the most part its over. Your looking at the Falcons number 8 ranked offensive line in pass protection against the 49ers 29th ranking. This could've easily been last week if Kaep didn't have record breaking game. Ryan has all day to pick a part the defensive. All we have is Kaep and Gore. It's all won or lost in the trenches.
Same as last year. Hopefully, the organization will wake up next year and do something about it.

Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
This is what happens when you dont come up with a good game plan for a team. We have an issue of thinking because we won the last game we are good.

I really want to turn this game off and watch Dora the Explorer with my daughter

That's it. 17-0. Game is over.

Awful season guys. f**k this.

Originally posted by 76Razor:
game. falcons.

Originally posted by captveg:
Game over

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Eh see you guys when draft starts

That's it. 17-0. Game is over.

Awful season guys. f**k this.

Well guys, I wanted to just emphasize the importance of patience and emotional fortitude. We could easily have diarrhea of the mouth and cast our team aside but a lot of us didn't do that, our team didn't do that, they stuck with it and pulled it out. There are many more examples from our posts, same as these, about how we have "lost it" and "suck" and should've done this or that. We are headed to the Super Bowl gentlemen, this is not an "awful season". Show respect to this team, to the game, and to our fellow fans.

GO NINERS!!!!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It was a beautiful game.

Fangio was dropping a safety down to stop some of those easy completions. Ryan was throwing shorter and shorter hot reads. We DID have a pass rush, and that forced him into quick throws. Most of the time they worked, but our defense caught up to the timing of it and got that first interception. After that, it was the Ryan muff. Then Ryan missed a few throws, showing that he is actually human.

it seemed like ryan was dropping back a few steps deeper to help negate the pass rush
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It was a beautiful game.

Fangio was dropping a safety down to stop some of those easy completions. Ryan was throwing shorter and shorter hot reads. We DID have a pass rush, and that forced him into quick throws. Most of the time they worked, but our defense caught up to the timing of it and got that first interception. After that, it was the Ryan muff. Then Ryan missed a few throws, showing that he is actually human.

Additionally I think the physical play of the defense started to take a toll. Michael Turner left the game and didn't come back. Ryan proved that he couldn't maintain that level of play while getting hit consistently. It's unfortunate that those guys got hurt but it was all clean--it just seemed the Falcons weren't physically able, weren't tough enough to play 60 minutes against this defense even after completely having their way with them early on.
garret celek drew the personal foul and got niners 15 yds--not sure he baited the defender into the foul--if so impressive for a rook, but the fact he didnt try to retaliate was smart
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Two mistakes by Ryan. They were driving and about to put it out of range

This. I'd like to say they made some awesome adjustments, and while they did get a better pass rush, the Falcons were still moving the ball downfield with some ease. This team really needs another big, physical cornerback and upgrades on the DL, particularly at NT.
Besides the obvious..

Ahmad Brooks for the silently great game.

Joe Staley containing Abraham + others

LaMichael James looked like Darren Sproles

Whitner was smacking people
Originally posted by Zachary:
Besides the obvious..

Ahmad Brooks for the silently great game.

Joe Staley containing Abraham + others

LaMichael James looked like Darren Sproles

Whitner was smacking people

I thought he was horrible in coverage
great thread. I was going to start a similar thread cause i didnt realize til about 2 hours after the game that the falcons didnt score in the 2nd half. That is crazy that we shut them out like that. seahawks shut them out in the 1st half and we shut them out in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half it seemed like they really started hitting ryan and it shook him up a lot causing him to get scared in the pocket, that made all the difference. We started really picking up our defensive 3rd down efficiency
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Jan 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM ]
From what I saw, it didn't look like we made any major adjustments. We started to apply a little more pressure in the 2nd half. Atlanta continued to move the ball, but they stopped getting big plays down the field. They still took numerous shots, but our DB's did a better job with their assignments and tracking the ball in the air. They also committed two key turnovers that cost them points.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM ]
Link

Cornerback Chris Culliver and strong safety Donte Whitner said the 49ers had trouble getting their hands on the receivers early in the game. The Falcons used those bunch formations with tighter splits to take San Francisco out of its press-coverage techniques, the 49ers theorized.

"Receivers know the defensive coaches tell the players not to press if they get tight splits because there is so much room to the sideline," Whitner said. "So our corners had to play off and that is why they did that. It was just a cat-and-mouse game until we figured them out."

The 49ers had trouble getting to their second and third coverage calls in part because they weren't initially sure which routes the Falcons were running from those bunch formations.

"When we make those secondary calls, we are zoning it off," Whitner said, "so you zone it off until a man comes into your area, and then you lock on."

There were some tense moments in the first half as Ryan conducted target practice.

"It gets heated, but we got inside [at halftime] everything was cool," Culliver said. "We talked about what we were going to do when we see those formations. Once you start seeing stuff and start playing the game, you start jumping stuff."

That's what Culliver did when he picked off Ryan at the San Francisco 38-yard line with 7:46 remaining in the third quarter. The 49ers trailed 24-21 at the time and hadn't been able to stop the Falcons to that point in the game.

There was some thought that Falcons receiver Roddy White had slipped on the play, but that wasn't how Culliver saw things.

"Every time Ryan throws the ball, he throws toward the ground where nobody can get it but the receiver," Culliver said. "But I seen it and ran inside on it. A lot of people thought outside, but I ran inside on that and he tried to go down to it, but I got over him and got the pick."

The 49ers' pass rush finally got going late in the game, putting Ryan under duress on six of the quarterback's final 12 drop backs once San Francisco took its first lead 28-24 on Gore's 9-yard run with 8:23 remaining. The 49ers had put Ryan under duress only three times previously on 32 drop backs, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Despite the late push, the 49ers remained in danger until linebacker NaVorro Bowman blanketed White over the middle and broke up Ryan's fourth-down pass.
^^ Good stuff
They were jamming Atlanta's receivers more at the line of scrimmage as well, not letting them get into their breaks as quickly.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
great thread. I was going to start a similar thread cause i didnt realize til about 2 hours after the game that the falcons didnt score in the 2nd half. That is crazy that we shut them out like that. seahawks shut them out in the 1st half and we shut them out in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half it seemed like they really started hitting ryan and it shook him up a lot causing him to get scared in the pocket, that made all the difference. We started really picking up our defensive 3rd down efficiency

Seahawks were losing 20-0 at Halftime.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Link

Cornerback Chris Culliver and strong safety Donte Whitner said the 49ers had trouble getting their hands on the receivers early in the game. The Falcons used those bunch formations with tighter splits to take San Francisco out of its press-coverage techniques, the 49ers theorized.

"Receivers know the defensive coaches tell the players not to press if they get tight splits because there is so much room to the sideline," Whitner said. "So our corners had to play off and that is why they did that. It was just a cat-and-mouse game until we figured them out."

The 49ers had trouble getting to their second and third coverage calls in part because they weren't initially sure which routes the Falcons were running from those bunch formations.

"When we make those secondary calls, we are zoning it off," Whitner said, "so you zone it off until a man comes into your area, and then you lock on."

There were some tense moments in the first half as Ryan conducted target practice.

"It gets heated, but we got inside [at halftime] everything was cool," Culliver said. "We talked about what we were going to do when we see those formations. Once you start seeing stuff and start playing the game, you start jumping stuff."

That's what Culliver did when he picked off Ryan at the San Francisco 38-yard line with 7:46 remaining in the third quarter. The 49ers trailed 24-21 at the time and hadn't been able to stop the Falcons to that point in the game.

There was some thought that Falcons receiver Roddy White had slipped on the play, but that wasn't how Culliver saw things.

"Every time Ryan throws the ball, he throws toward the ground where nobody can get it but the receiver," Culliver said. "But I seen it and ran inside on it. A lot of people thought outside, but I ran inside on that and he tried to go down to it, but I got over him and got the pick."

The 49ers' pass rush finally got going late in the game, putting Ryan under duress on six of the quarterback's final 12 drop backs once San Francisco took its first lead 28-24 on Gore's 9-yard run with 8:23 remaining. The 49ers had put Ryan under duress only three times previously on 32 drop backs, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Despite the late push, the 49ers remained in danger until linebacker NaVorro Bowman blanketed White over the middle and broke up Ryan's fourth-down pass.

This makes me feel good about our chances with the Ravens. They run a simpler offense, so hopefully it won't take our DBs long to figure them out. And their O-line isn't as good as ATL's. Ray Rice IMO is overrated, he won't be factor. Guys I truly think we're gonna get a 6th.