There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ATLANTA FALCONS GAMEDAY THREAD-PLAYOFFS 2013 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

The 49ers are a tough-minded bunch. Not a perfect team, but a great (Championship caliber) team none-the-less that can win in multiple ways. Opposing teams have to pick their poison, shut down one aspect of the 49ers, and the Niners can still manage to beat their opponents in other ways. They learn from their mistakes and when they are completely focused and motivated they are scary for the rest of the NFL. Another tough test awaits them in the Super Bowl, but one they are sharpened to overcome.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
THANK GOD Matt Ryan didn't look left on their last play down close. Gonzales was split left and got inside of Brown. He was wide open for an easy six on the slant.

Yeah saw that. Gonzo flapped his arms in disgust after Bowman knocked down the pass.

thing is if white catches ball he is still short of the 1st down marker
[ Edited by hofer36 on Jan 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I read CK audibled on 40% of plays. And that doesn't even account for the split-second decisions he made in the read-option. The more I talk myself into it, this game was almost more impressive by CK than last week, particularly on the mental side.

Are you kidding? This game was FAR more impressive by Kap than last week. It was on the ROAD in a loud DOME against the #1 seed and we had to survive a 17 - 0 deficit. This was one of the most impressive wins in franchise history.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
The 49ers are a tough-minded bunch. Not a perfect team, but a great (Championship caliber) team none-the-less that can win in multiple ways. Opposing teams have to pick their poison, shut down one aspect of the 49ers, and the Niners can still manage to beat their opponents in other ways. They learn from their mistakes and when they are completely focused and motivated they are scary for the rest of the NFL. Another tough test awaits them in the Super Bowl, but one they are sharpened to overcome.

I'm still giddy. We're heavy favorites for the Lombardi! And we can still get so much better.
Harbaugh quote from postgame presser "they rose up at the end." Using a form of the Falcons' ghey slogan "Rise Up." Unintentional but hilarious.

"Hey don't hurt my arm guy"
it was funny to hear a female writer question mike smith after the game, asking when he felt a sense of deja vue after falcons blew big lead for 2nd week in a row
lord fangio must have made some good adjustments
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Actual question. Last week, we unveiled our new-age offense to the tune of the greatest dual-threat performance in the history of quarterbacking. Our offensive line was utterly dominant, Crabtree achieved superstar status, and our defense got stop after stop against an elite offense. Basically, all of our most obvious "strengths" were on display at the same time at a high level, making us unstoppable.

This week? Kaepernick was very sharp and efficient, but played more like a "normal" QB (impossible to knock his brilliant game, but still, you'd have to acknowledge Nolan "succeeded" in what was to be his biggest challenge, and/or we left our biggest advantage in our back pocket). Our line opened up some holes, but all in all they performed worse than last week despite facing an inferior D this time around. To top it off, the "key" of the game I was most sure about was that we would have to contain the big 3 receivers to have a chance. Abject failure. And yet we're on our way to New Orleans.

So while last week was a sort of "identity solidifying" performance, today we basically played just well enough in all phases to scrape by. As my euphoria is slowly subsiding, I'm trying to decipher what this means going forward. I'm inclined to think it's awesome that we can win in different ways and despite not playing perfectly. On the other hand, part of me thinks we were lucky to survive an all-around "off game."

Thoughts?

I think your analysis is right on, I'm highly energized by Kaeps performance based on the limited starting experience and the adjustment he had to make in a hostile environment on the road spotting the Falcons 17points. I am a long time fan and veteran of the Super Bowl years and had the same feeling when Montana played
from behind. By no means am I comparing but think about what this kid is doing only starting so few games, I think its fantastic! His ability to give Gore the rock
knowing the Falcon defensive ends would not pinch down so he would'nt have an alley to run shows his maturity in the Pistol. Different matchup again vs the Ravens with a highly physical but slower defense..should make for interesting fun not only this year but for decades to come!
Miller was my man, 2 incredible blocks letting Gore go through for a touchdown and many more as well. Not a very complementary job he's got but he does it so well.
Well, he didn't let them into the endzone. That seemed to work.

Hey! We should do that every game! :D
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Harbaugh quote from postgame presser "they rose up at the end." Using a form of the Falcons' ghey slogan "Rise Up." Unintentional but hilarious.

I'm not sure that was unintentional
Two mistakes by Ryan. They were driving and about to put it out of range
we sustained drives a bit better, ATL had the ball for almost the whole first quarter
It was a beautiful game.

Fangio was dropping a safety down to stop some of those easy completions. Ryan was throwing shorter and shorter hot reads. We DID have a pass rush, and that forced him into quick throws. Most of the time they worked, but our defense caught up to the timing of it and got that first interception. After that, it was the Ryan muff. Then Ryan missed a few throws, showing that he is actually human.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM ]