LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

switch to a 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just like every other year..........of course not.
this is my most hated thread
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I believe the future of defensive lines will be players who can play up or down, are versatile. Some players will still be the huge pluggers but they will move around and be less predictable. The niners have moved toward this direction by using a 3/4 without a true NT. They rely on the MLBs being able to fill when necessary and because they have the best tandem in the business, it's a successful strategy.

Taking a linebacker out of this defense means putting an All-Pro on the bench. On the other hand, only Justin Smith rises to this level among the DL.

So I'm for a confusing amalgam of defensive fronts that will totally baffle the offenses they play...just as Baltimore tends to baffle SF every time we play them. Let the All-Pro LBs run wild! If we lose some LBs and our DL become All-Pros, then reconsider! I realize that one reason the LBs are so good is the DL protecting them, but it's still the strength of the team.

Exactly...that was my point...taking an All-Pro off the field (Bowman) where we have so much strength and rotation at the DL spot may not only help stuff the run and bring the pass rush but free up Willis (only MLB now) and allow the CB's to play more press.

BTW: I'm a huge 3-4 guy but agree, may need to play to our strengths and depth and mix up the schemes more now. Bowman is a HUGE loss.

Fangio and defensive staff understand the team's strengths and depth better than we do.

Tomsula is truly confused. Somebody should send him a letter explaining in detail the team's need for a "true" nose tackle.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know we like to discuss this every year, but its a decently valid question with our current roster.

This year that would allow us to spell JS and McDonald inside with Dorsey, and would keep our 3 best LBs on the field, and our other OLB as the starting DE. Once Tank is back, he could take over the other DE spot. This would allow the most rotation with the aging and ailing big guys up front.

Going into next year, not this year, we could have Brooks, Willis and Bowman as the 3 LBs, with Lemonier, Tank and Aldon rotating as the DEs. Dorsey and McDonald at the DT spots. With Smith likely seeing his last year (could be wrong, but he's hinted of retirement), this may be the best use of our talent.

Just curious as to others' thoughts

Thanks for this thread! While some may be bored with the discussion, I think it worthwhile to consider/reconsider every aspect of the team during the off season. Those who don't like the thread can use their discretion to not click on the link.

THERE IS NO BLEEPING GAME TODAY...WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DO!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er: ... Those who don't like the thread can use their discretion to not click on the link.
... THERE IS NO BLEEPING GAME TODAY...WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DO!

You could tune-in to NFL Network as I did, thinking I'd find something worth watching ...
Unfortunately for Niner Fans, it's replay (SB) Sunday. When I tuned-in, our loss to the
Ravens was on ... up next, SBVIII. No Thanx I'll pass ... listening to Spotify, as I work
on a World Cup 2014 celebration/party proposal.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Feb 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
You could tune-in to NFL Network as I did, thinking I'd find something worth watching ...
Unfortunately for Niner Fans, it's replay (SB) Sunday. When I tuned-in, our loss to the
Ravens was on ... up next, SBVIII. No Thanx I'll pass ... listening to Spotify, as I work
on a World Cup 2014 celebration/party proposal.

LOL...been there, done that! Gave up. Time to pay bills and take stuff to Hospice!
  • buck
  • Veteran
The 49er defense was:

3rd in scoring defense
4th in total defense
4th in opponents passing rating
5th in rushing defense
5th in yards per pass attempt
7th in rushing yards per attempt
7th in passing defense
10th in interceptions

We should switch to a 4-3?
Time to table this debate till next year...again. No.
we play so much nickle package that we are alot of the time in a 4 man front. But i would like to switch fulltime to a 4-3.
Is there something wrong with our defense the way it is?

• SaksV
  • Veteran
If it ain't broke don't break it....
If you want to stop Marshawn from going beast mode, and raining skittles on us, better switch to a 4-3. Seahawks are Dallas Cowboys 2.0. There was no stopping Emmitt Smith until the Niners went 4-3 with Bryant Young and Stubblefield in the middle. Coincidentally, if you notice former Def. Co. Pete Carroll ran a defense similar to what he's running now.
Originally posted by SaksV:
If it ain't broke don't break it....

Lazy, lazy, lazy! I prefer--"If it ain't broke, break and reset it...hope for the best!"
We basically do already
It comes down to a simple question. Why is it every time the niners play a team just as physical(Giants, Ravens, Seahawks), they get punched in the mouth, and wilt. Both times this defense played the Ravens, they got punked. Same with the Giants. And the Seahawks is self evident. To put it in Bill Walsh terms, the defense is good enough to lose the big game.
Share 49ersWebzone