LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

switch to a 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I thought we got rid of Dorsey years ago?

That pic makes me sick!

Dude was so bad I totally didn't even realize that he was #7. I mean that almost always comes up as a topic but as far as I'm concerned Kaep pioneered that # for us.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I wouldnt mind some 4-3 splashed in with our other defensive packages ...but we are a 3-4 team .....we will have a versatile rotation of defensive lineman for nickel and dime packages ....but if we land woodson , our pass coverage in our base defense gets better the second Woody hits the field

Meh Woodson is ooold and not the player most here on the zone are making him out to be. Our pass D will improve marginally while our run D suffers significantly should we sign him.

It wasn't Woodson's fault GB looked stupid against us last year in the playoffs. I thought he played well. His speed is still adequate and he has the mind and physical ability to play at a decent level even at his age. Injury issues have been the culprit for his two down seasons. While this is possibly a sign of age, I feel he could still contribute enough to be an asset at the right price.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Well, a dynamic offense (i.e. quick scoring) generally means more snaps for the D.

I have some sour grapes over the draft because I don't think we were aggressive enough in getting "higher rated" "bulkier" DT/NT types that aren't at a size disadvantage with today's weight inflated OLs.

If Tank can't make it back this year and is on PUP or IR, then I think we are in trouble. What is the plan B? Spend a wad on cut DL's that can still bring it?

Seymour, Canty, etc?

Who is Divens?

And by "trouble" I mean we are at risk for the same grind down effect as last year. And remember both Smiths are coming of singificant surgery.

You know Lamar Diven practice squad etroadinare:

http://www.elkvalleytimes.com/?p=13038

We signed him to the prcatice squad when our line started to become depleted late last year. You didnt know he was our future starting NT?
Dorsey's a solid, versatile addition to the DL. Arguably our starting NT and can line up alongside Justin Smith in the hybrid. I'm also excited at the potential Dial has...huge dude, can play anywhere on the DL and plays w/attitude.
So what is the plan B just in case Tank's knee gets sore again, + Dial, Divens, Williams need additional polish. Do we go shopping?
I wouldnt mind some 4-3 splashed in with our other defensive packages ...but we are a 3-4 team .....we will have a versatile rotation of defensive lineman for nickel and dime packages ....but if we land woodson , our pass coverage in our base defense gets better the second Woody hits the field

Meh Woodson is ooold and not the player most here on the zone are making him out to be. Our pass D will improve marginally while our run D suffers significantly should we sign him.

It wasn't Woodson's fault GB looked stupid against us last year in the playoffs. I thought he played well. His speed is still adequate and he has the mind and physical ability to play at a decent level even at his age. Injury issues have been the culprit for his two down seasons. While this is possibly a sign of age, I feel he could still contribute enough to be an asset at the right price.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by cools:

Could we see somthing like this ala Seifert? kind of a cross between 3-4 and 4-3 without needing a true 3-4 type NT

The inside guys playing 1 and 3 tech, A.Smith as the Elephant, Willis shines with the freedom as a Wil

Wouldn't Bowman be the WIl?

I can see this happening. But will wait until we see who else we sign and draft. And yes, Bowman would be the Wil.

Isn't this really what we already see anyway. Smith is at the LOS more than he is off.
dorsey probowler...book it! gotcha...but fangio will find a way to utilize his strengths. He was the first big signing for us so im guessing harbaugh and company saw something they liked and put the full court press on him to ensure he ends up in a 49er jersey
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by cools:

Could we see somthing like this ala Seifert? kind of a cross between 3-4 and 4-3 without needing a true 3-4 type NT

The inside guys playing 1 and 3 tech, A.Smith as the Elephant, Willis shines with the freedom as a Wil

Wouldn't Bowman be the WIl?

I can see this happening. But will wait until we see who else we sign and draft. And yes, Bowman would be the Wil.

Isn't this really what we already see anyway. Smith is at the LOS more than he is off.

Yep. The 49ers switched from a traditional base 3-4 (nose tackle directly over center playing 0 tech) to a 4-3 "Under" front when Greg Manusky left town.
I know we like to discuss this every year, but its a decently valid question with our current roster.

This year that would allow us to spell JS and McDonald inside with Dorsey, and would keep our 3 best LBs on the field, and our other OLB as the starting DE. Once Tank is back, he could take over the other DE spot. This would allow the most rotation with the aging and ailing big guys up front.

Going into next year, not this year, we could have Brooks, Willis and Bowman as the 3 LBs, with Lemonier, Tank and Aldon rotating as the DEs. Dorsey and McDonald at the DT spots. With Smith likely seeing his last year (could be wrong, but he's hinted of retirement), this may be the best use of our talent.

Just curious as to others' thoughts
No

Please make it stop. As mentioned before, the Niners are a 4-3 defense the majority of the snaps, just their base defense to start is a 3-4. If you have players for a 3-4 they can play a 4-3.

With the league going to a passing league, the Niners are in a 4-3 on all dime packages and sometimes on nickel packages.

With the starting NT's going down, the 4-3 defense will be utilized 70% of the time just as it was last year.

Aldon Smith used to play the elephant position (charles haley) of the 3-4 or hybrid 4-3. No Lemonoir plays the elephant position.
Interesting idea. The lb core is probably better suited to play the 3-4, but the d-line (without Justin smith), would be a decent front four. It seems like we play mostly 4 man fronts anyways.
[ Edited by Diaperfan on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
no
Originally posted by 9erred:
Please make it stop. As mentioned before, the Niners are a 4-3 defense the majority of the snaps, just their base defense to start is a 3-4. If you have players for a 3-4 they can play a 4-3.

With the league going to a passing league, the Niners are in a 4-3 on all dime packages and sometimes on nickel packages.

With the starting NT's going down, the 4-3 defense will be utilized 70% of the time just as it was last year.

Aldon Smith used to play the elephant position (charles haley) of the 3-4 or hybrid 4-3. No Lemonoir plays the elephant position.

actually it's not the same..the 3-4 leaves huge gaps in the middle with a LB wide on the left or right side...while a true 4-3 has 4 linemen shoulder to shoulder
This is a valid question, given the injuries to our NTs and the fact that Aldon is gone.

The key is how ready is Tank. He was a monster 4-3 DE in college. Lemonier was also a 4-3 DE. I would expect that once Tank is 100% we will see a TON of even fronts. Even with Dorsey coming back, an even front is the best way to get the most production out of Tank this year.

However, Tank is the only guy we have that I think could play DE in a true 4-3 defense. Aldon and Lemonier are a bit light and better suited for a 3-4 OLB. Same goes for Brooks. Without him, we can't run a real 4-3.
Share 49ersWebzone