LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

switch to a 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well JT said today the team is sticking with the 3-4, so I guess that answers the question. lol
so do you guys feel one of our ILB's will be asked to play OLB for a few snaps per game to get all 3 of them on the field here and there? ...personally I don't see it happening, but who knows? ..the best 11 play right?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
so do you guys feel one of our ILB's will be asked to play OLB for a few snaps per game to get all 3 of them on the field here and there? ...personally I don't see it happening, but who knows? ..the best 11 play right?

Honestly, I find this whole thread to be a joke. The 49ers don't play a 3-4 or a 4-3. They're defense may have three "down" linemen the majority of the time, but they generally ALWAYS have a standing rusher (elephant). The only reason people keep saying the 49ers run a "3-4" is because they have one rusher standing at all times; which helps with stunts and those type of plays.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Honestly, I find this whole thread to be a joke. The 49ers don't play a 3-4 or a 4-3. They're defense may have three "down" linemen the majority of the time, but they generally ALWAYS have a standing rusher (elephant). The only reason people keep saying the 49ers run a "3-4" is because they have one rusher standing at all times; which helps with stunts and those type of plays.

People??? Actually Tomsula said it.

And if my memory serves me right, I could've sworn both Brooks and Aldon Smith stand majority of the time, most of the time off of the LOS. How is that not a 3-4??
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by lamontb:
With teams passing so much you pretty much have no choice but to go to a 4 man front to bring in an extra DB.

Technically, we are (from a personnel standpoint) a 2-4-5 on passing downs. We could go to a 3-3-5 to defend more against the run while including the extra DB. it would probably go: Cowboy-Dorsey-RayMac/Pat,Bow,A.Smith or Brooks.

A four man front is not necessarily a 4-3. A 4-3 indicates 4 lineman and 3 LBs. Our alignment on passing downs is a 4-2-5, generally (but the ends are actually our OLBs).

Lynch & Smith can bring the house as edge rushers
With all our LB they better not
JimmyT has already stated in his latest presser that we are staying with the 3-4, it would of been pretty cool to see all 3 PB's on the field at the same time. But 34 best fits our players right now.
Because defense is the biggest concern about this team .
  • bors
  • Veteran
Bump cause we out of linebackers. What would are linbacker core look like with this set up now..Would Brooks be middle? Since we talking crazy n this is crazy off-season. What if we moved Miller back to linbacker? Helping out the d and gets Millard on the field.Lol this off season inconceivable
Originally posted by bors:
Bump cause we out of linebackers. What would are linbacker core look like with this set up now..Would Brooks be middle? Since we talking crazy n this is crazy off-season. What if we moved Miller back to linbacker? Helping out the d and gets Millard on the field.Lol this off season inconceivable

Miller will likely be suspended at least 6 games this year if he isn't cut outright from the team, so his ability to play ILB isn't relevant.

• bors
  • Veteran
Niether is this thread but I still bumped it
Right now putting our best players on the field would be more of a 4-3 especially if you also consider Ray Mac and J. Smith not playing next year. I'm sure by the time FA and the draft are done it will look different.
  • cools
  • Veteran
3 Safety Big Nickle, Get Ward on the field instead of Wilhoite
It will be interesting.
It's not happening lol. Maybe if we actually had a DC with 4-3 experience. Mangini has never worked on a team that ran a 4-3.
Share 49ersWebzone