LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

switch to a 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
If we stick with a 3-4 Wade Phillips would regain a lot of the ground lost. If we change to a 4-3 Jim Schwartz has done incredible things with 4-3's everywhere he goes. A majority of our front seven comes from a 4-3 background IIRC Aldon, Tank, Lemonier, Cowboy, Willis (as a Mike), Borland, Bowman all have played 4-3 before.

I would be soooo happy if the 49ers brought in Wade Phillips. I would love to see what he could do with the talent on our defense. Wade Phillips is my favorite 3-4 DC. His defenses are always stout and often times with mediocre personnel.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Aldon, Tank and Lynch are all DE's... unless you're talking nickel, and then you wouldn't have borland in there

Tank is not a DE. He will be a disruptive interior 3 technique DT. 10+ sack potential. Bank on it.

Yeah I see it the same way. Put Tank at T with Dial, then Lynch and Smith coming off the edges. Could be nasty.
Didn't Tank play inside on nickle packages this year? The guy listed at 295lbs that sounds like a DT in the 4-3.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
It really depends on who is hired to run the defense.

I see more wholes that would need to be filled with a move to a 4-3 front than vice versa. (DE, DT, SAM)

A LB trio of Borland Willis and Bowman would be horrible IMO since they are all essentially ILBs. I don't think Borland has the athleticism to play in space. I don't like the idea of having 3 6'0 or shorter LBs trying to cover these tall TEs that are coming in vogue. It's a physical mismatch.

I didn't get to see Tank play much, hard getting 49ers games living in the south, but it seems like the added bulk has robbed him of his explosiveness. He was a 275 lb 4-3 DE at FSU and now's he pushing 3 bills.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Aldon, Tank and Lynch are all DE's... unless you're talking nickel, and then you wouldn't have borland in there

Tank is not a DE. He will be a disruptive interior 3 technique DT. 10+ sack potential. Bank on it.

Yeah I see it the same way. Put Tank at T with Dial, then Lynch and Smith coming off the edges. Could be nasty.

Tank WAS a DE in college, and should go back to being one if we switch to a 4-3 because that's where he plays better. As an edge rusher.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Tank WAS a DE in college, and should go back to being one if we switch to a 4-3 because that's where he plays better. As an edge rusher.
And a really good one too, he would need to drop weight to get back to the weight he was when he was a 4-3 edge rusher. He added all the weight to be an effective 3-4 de
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch forced our hand to switch to a 4-3 scheme because of how impactful they were in their rookie years. How potent will this unit be?

Predictions:

Bowman (strong side) Borland (Mic) Willis (Weak Side)

Aldon Cowboy Dorsey Lynch

I can see Tank competing with Lynch or Dorsey for the spot. Can also see Ian Williams competing with Dorsey.

Thoughts?
getting Willis, Bowman and Borland on the field at the same time could give us the best LB trio in the league , but the key will be adding a couple of pure 4-3 DE's , Aldon and Lynch are solid pass rushers for the edge, but adding a couple more 4-3 edge rushers will keep our pass rush fresh and swift ...I'm not too sure about Lemonier as an edge rusher ...Brooks wont be back IMO, so adding some depth at DE and outside LB will be a must

we will keep 4 down lineman, and I'm hoping Cowboy comes back, with Dorsey, Carradine and Williams at the other defensive tackle spots ...Dial and TJE could be expendable, but I'm still hoping we draft a blue chip defensive lineman in the first round ....IF we move to the 4-3 that is
What I think is there is already a 4-3 thread discussion.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/170085-switch-to-a-4-3/
Hundreds of them, over the years

OP please use the search facility.

• Kuya
  • Veteran
Bump

I think Bowman, Borland and Willis is gonna beast trio together
Phillips would be an upgrade imo for DC. He knows his stuff.
In a 4-3 are the outside linebackers supposed to be a Willis type, or a pass rush hybrid? Would we run Willis/bowman/Borland with Aldon and lynch as de's?
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I would love to see Wade Phillips as a DC for 1-2 years with Tarver on board as a LB Coach, and then transition to Traver at DC after Phillips retires. Phillips is 67 years old...FYI
I don't think Willis will be effective at OLB. He's a pretty poor pass rusher. He's best suited for inside. Tank would be strating DE and Lynch would be rotated in and out. Tank is not a interior lineman.
Share 49ersWebzone