LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Candlestick Park looks a lot like FedEx Field

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/candlestick-park-looks-a-lot-like-fedex-field/

This may help slow down the packers high flying attack.
I remember people wanting a wet slow field against the Giants and I think it came back to hurt us. I remember a lot of sloppy fields playing the Packers in the playoffs and don't recall more than 1 where the game ended in our favor. It slows our defense up which hurts us as much as it does them. And a slow field probably hurts a d more than an o since they know where they are going. I hope the field is fine and doesn't play a factor.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:26 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I remember people wanting a wet slow field against the Giants and I think it came back to hurt us. I remember a lot of sloppy fields playing the Packers in the playoffs and don't recall more than 1 where the game ended in our favor. It slows our defense up which hurts us as much as it does them. And a slow field probably hurts a d more than an o since they know where they are going. I hope the field is fine and doesn't play a factor.
Pretty much all the experts agree, a bad field favors the offense.
It looks a little brown, which happens to grass around here after several weeks of cold weather. That doesn't mean it will be a slow track. It won't get torn up like FedEx.
Terrible article. He is just trying to make a story out of nothing.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

I didn't read it but I am sure that's what it is. Just looking at the picture it looks like some dead grass but it doesn't look like the field is shot at all.
I hope the field is a total mess and it rains like hell on friday before the game. the Niners would benefit greatly if it turns into a messy slugfest!
The field won't look like that come Saturday. Last year's Divisional game vs the Saints the field was in perfect condition.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Typical Florio. He tries to make the news, not report it. He got on his soap box about Fed Ex field, now he is trying to throw the Stick in there so he can be the voice of field reform. What a self-important d-bag.
Wow, a picture taken from a phone made the field look bad. Why isn't this all over CNN and Fox news?

Originally posted by BobS:
Pretty much all the experts agree, a bad field favors the offense.

Good, their defense is much worse than the niners, and our D has experience with the conditions of this field.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
that was yesterday, i'm sure the grounds crew is gonna be hard at work on the field in the days leading up to the game on saturday
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
The field won't look like that come Saturday. Last year's Divisional game vs the Saints the field was in perfect condition.

This year's game will be a 5pm PT start so already it will not be the same condition...any vet of games at the stick also knows early evening high tide coming in affects the playing surface (its below sea level) and last years sunny and clear game against the Saints was more atypical rather than the norm for a January weekend at Hunters Pt. As for those playoff games in the late 80's where it looks all sunny and dry, that's 'cos there was a drought in CA for about 7 years till El Niño came back in '91 IIRC...
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM ]

i'm holding back on mentioning certain major contributions to what hurt us over a slow field................................... just saying.
  • mod
  • Veteran
The field at candlestick is usually ranked at the top for the best maintained field in the NFL. I think these guys know what their doing. This is usually what it looks like by january, this is not turf.
Share 49ersWebzone