LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Crab and Gore fined

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by MrRedDogSF:
That really has nothing to do with it. They don't want people fighting over the ball. The players can hand the ball to any specific fan without consequence, but they can't throw it because people can potentially fight for it since it isn't going to anyone in particular.

Oh ya. I always forget about the countless number of fights at baseball games

Which has what to do with FOOTBALL GAMES?

You don't have to like what I posted, but if you use Google and do a little reading, you'll realize that what I posted is the actual reason the NFL has banned players from throwing the ball into the stands. Comparing it to baseball has nothing to do with anything, really.

The players know the rule, so if they break it, they know they will be fined. They do it anyway, so what are people whining about? Don't fool yourselves by thinking Crabtree and Gore didn't see the fines coming. They knew.

Hhhhmmm. Google?? Is that one of those fancy doohickeys the kids are always talking about?

The NFL can have their ridiculous rule but we're having a discussion and I'm really trying to figure out your point of view. The only thing I can agree with is your last part about the fines. They knew it. They're adults. Let them pay.

You're right there, I don't like what you posted because you agree with the stupid NFL rule. It's ALL about the money. Or..do you agree with the NFL about the ridiculous fines they give players or for charging full price for preseason games? I don't agree, but I understand that I choose to give them my money and they obviously do as they please, but don't be blind. People would be picketing in the streets if this was an oil company.

Comparing it to baseball has everything to do with it, REALLY. We're talking about the safety of people when a ball is thrown into the stands. Hhhhmmm, where else does that occur? Oh ya, BASEBALL. You know in baseball, the ball "isn't going to anyone in particular" either. Where is the problem? Everyone wants to catch a walk off homerun ball too. Where are all the reports of fan fights over these balls? Do they wait until they're in the parking lot where there are no cameras? Please help me understand why you would assume all this would take place. More drunk people? If they were to take the net down, and some drunk fool did something like that, it would take 1 games highlights on ESPN of this guy starting a fight in slow motion and then getting taken away in hand cuffs and that would be that. "People can potentially fight" if they get beer spilled on them or there shoes stepped on. Thats why Text BADFAN exists. You shouldn't assume.

Oh, and one last thing. Maybe Obama inspired the players by showing them that the rich people that can afford the seats in the front row need to give a little to us poor folk way up here with our noses bleeding and they want US to have a ball for once. Thanks guys
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Maybe the NFL should take a lesson from MLB.

I agree with the sentiments of your original point, but there is a HUGE difference between throwing a $100 NFL football into the stands than a $15 MLB baseball that teams have hundreds of on site at all times.
There are maybe an average of 6 touchdowns in the average NFL game. So you are saying the NFL doesn't make enough money to pass out $600 of souvenirs a game? Remember when there were no nets behind the goal posts? That $600 represents a penny for every ticket sold to a game.
I agree with the sentiments of your original point, but there is a HUGE difference between throwing a $100 NFL football into the stands than a $15 MLB baseball that teams have hundreds of on site at all times.

Oh yes the owners who sign players to contracts worth millions of dollars will go bankrupt if some of their players toss a 100$ football into the stands.
I'm sorry but your argument is not valid.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Oh yes the owners who sign players to contracts worth millions of dollars will go bankrupt if some of their players toss a 100$ football into the stands.

Ok, but let's get one thing straight. $100 is what we, the suckers, pay for a ball. It probably costs $5 to manufacture and the NFL gets them for maybe $20. Don't quote my numbers, just get my point.
That really has nothing to do with it. They don't want people fighting over the ball. The players can hand the ball to any specific fan without consequence, but they can't throw it because people can potentially fight for it since it isn't going to anyone in particular.

You don't have to like what I posted, but if you use Google and do a little reading, you'll realize that what I posted is the actual reason the NFL has banned players from throwing the ball into the stands. Comparing it to baseball has nothing to do with anything, really.

The players know the rule, so if they break it, they know they will be fined. They do it anyway, so what are people whining about? Don't fool yourselves by thinking Crabtree and Gore didn't see the fines coming. They knew.

Hhhhmmm. Google?? Is that one of those fancy doohickeys the kids are always talking about?

The NFL can have their ridiculous rule but we're having a discussion and I'm really trying to figure out your point of view. The only thing I can agree with is your last part about the fines. They knew it. They're adults. Let them pay.

You're right there, I don't like what you posted because you agree with the stupid NFL rule. It's ALL about the money. Or..do you agree with the NFL about the ridiculous fines they give players or for charging full price for preseason games? I don't agree, but I understand that I choose to give them my money and they obviously do as they please, but don't be blind. People would be picketing in the streets if this was an oil company.

Comparing it to baseball has everything to do with it, REALLY. We're talking about the safety of people when a ball is thrown into the stands. Hhhhmmm, where else does that occur? Oh ya, BASEBALL. You know in baseball, the ball "isn't going to anyone in particular" either. Where is the problem? Everyone wants to catch a walk off homerun ball too. Where are all the reports of fan fights over these balls? Do they wait until they're in the parking lot where there are no cameras? Please help me understand why you would assume all this would take place. More drunk people? If they were to take the net down, and some drunk fool did something like that, it would take 1 games highlights on ESPN of this guy starting a fight in slow motion and then getting taken away in hand cuffs and that would be that. "People can potentially fight" if they get beer spilled on them or there shoes stepped on. Thats why Text BADFAN exists. You shouldn't assume.

Oh, and one last thing. Maybe Obama inspired the players by showing them that the rich people that can afford the seats in the front row need to give a little to us poor folk way up here with our noses bleeding and they want US to have a ball for once. Thanks guys

First of all, where did I ever say I agreed with the rule? I could care less one way or the other. I do agree with the fines for the simple fact that the players know they are breaking a rule and will be fined for it, but they do it anyway. The ridiculousness of the rule is irrelevant.

Second, are we discussing the NFL's rule or the MLB's rules? That's right, the NFL. Therefor, talking about baseball and what they do has nothing to do with the NFL's rules.

Third, I never said I believed that the players throwing footballs into the crowd causes fights. I said that's the reason the NFL has a rule against it. Whether it happens or not does not concern me and is not what I am arguing.

Ok, but let's get one thing straight. $100 is what we, the suckers, pay for a ball. It probably costs $5 to manufacture and the NFL gets them for maybe $20. Don't quote my numbers, just get my point.

Also, the NFL doesn't even keep and re-use the footballs. They break in new footballs EVERY GAME.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM ]
First of all, where did I ever say I agreed with the rule? I could care less one way or the other. I do agree with the fines for the simple fact that the players know they are breaking a rule and will be fined for it, but they do it anyway. The ridiculousness of the rule is irrelevant.

Second, are we discussing the NFL's rule or the MLB's rules? That's right, the NFL. Therefor, talking about baseball and what they do has nothing to do with the NFL's rules.

Third, I never said I believed that the players throwing footballs into the crowd causes fights. I said that's the reason the NFL has a rule against it. Whether it happens or not does not concern me and is not what I am arguing.

I didn't think we were discussing the rules of either. The rule is set and we can't change it. I was arguing that the rule is stupid because it doesn't cause fights. You say you don't agree with it but you're defending it. And since I'm not arguing the rule but whether or not a ball of any kind thrown into the stands causes fights then yes, baseball has everything to do with the arguement. It doesn't start fights in baseball so why would it start them in football?

So you're saying that you never said it caused fights and you were just stating what the NFL rule is? Then what ARE you arguing?

Also, the NFL doesn't even keep and re-use the footballs. They break in new footballs EVERY GAME.

Ok. Where do all these balls go after they are used in one game? It must be thousands of balls a year for the entire league.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Another reason is - fans falling over the railing trying to catch the ball.

Chickenfeed. Those guys could tip more than that,

Originally posted by sfout:
For those who need proof

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/49ers-crabtree-gore-fined-10500-each-for-throwing-ball-in-stands/

Pics or it didn't happen
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Funny thing is that one of the balls Crab threw, my sisters friend caught it lol.

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Funny thing is that one of the balls Crab threw, my sisters friend caught it lol.

Your sisters friend caught Crabtree's balls?

Hmmm, first time ever hearing about catching balls from crabs. Always thought it was the other way around.
Originally posted by BobS:

There are maybe an average of 6 touchdowns in the average NFL game. So you are saying the NFL doesn't make enough money to pass out $600 of souvenirs a game? Remember when there were no nets behind the goal posts? That $600 represents a penny for every ticket sold to a game.
Originally posted by Niners99:
When I watched Crab throw the first one into the stands I was thinking he would hear from the Not Fun League.

10 friggen grand for making a fan's life. Forget catching a foul ball, a football from touch down is a win of all wins.

Really says a ton about the NFL and their priorities.

Players can give footballs to fans in the front row. They dont allow throwing because it causes a riot and possible injuries. They arent trying to prevent any fun, its preventing lawsuits.

This. Well, what do you expect from a country with more lawyers per capita than any other in the world. They are out making work for themselves.
LOL..wonder if that's the first time Frankie has ever been fined? He's the shining example of a good sport.

Ok. Where do all these balls go after they are used in one game? It must be thousands of balls a year for the entire league.

not taking sides, but don't they sell the game used balls to the fans?
Share 49ersWebzone